Phantom Regiment 2014

I mean, doesn't uniform choice indirectly affect judging? White pants will show mistakes easier than black pants will. Accidental movements, early/late step offs, etc. will show easier with those fringes dangling down. So obviously a judge is not going to be like "yeah that uniform is ugly, -10" but all these complex parts can create visual dirt that leads to lower scores.

One of the best (and most recent) instances of this has to be those cloaks that Cavies used last year. Though it was kind of neat to watch them "float" around the field, you couldn't really read anything. Hopefully because any movement from the fringe/tassel things will be broken up (since fringe doesn't create a solid block of space), it won't read as dirt from up top.

• Like 1

oh on visual sheets, I think a uniform can play a part in things.

I said that last yeat when peeople were ranting about the Crown uni...IMO drum corps needs to get away from the military look and focus more on costuming to their show themes and designs. Surf did it when in div II with their Elvis show and the Down the Shore show (my all-time favorite show of theirs).

Yes, DCI meeds more Corps with Elvis costumes.

I said that last yeat when peeople were ranting about the Crown uni...IMO drum corps needs to get away from the military look and focus more on costuming to their show themes and designs. Surf did it when in div II with their Elvis show and the Down the Shore show (my all-time favorite show of theirs).

If that became more of a trend (or a perceived requirement in order to score well), wouldn't that simply add a greater separation between the financial haves and have-nots, as corps felt compelled to purchase new uniforms/costumes every year? Also, doesn't that idea take us further down the road towards performance art, where the visual and dramatic continues to gain preeminence over the musical? I mean, if you really want to do away with all military aspects, then wouldn't you also do away with the entire concept of marching?

uni...IMO drum corps needs to get away from the military look and focus more on costuming ).

If that became more of a trend (or a perceived requirement in order to score well), wouldn't that simply add a greater separation between the financial haves and have-nots, as corps felt compelled to purchase new uniforms/costumes every year? Also, doesn't that idea take us further down the road towards performance art, where the visual and dramatic continues to gain preeminence over the musical? I mean, if you really want to do away with all military aspects, then wouldn't you also do away with the entire concept of marching?

it depends on what the goals are of DCI. Are they trying to broaden the appeal to be more than focussed on the 'marching band junkies'? Or are they content to focus on those people?

If the first, then yes, it will become more of a performance art activity, though it doesn't do away with coordinated movement, i.e. marching. It also doesn't do away with the importance of the music.

If the second, then keeping uniforms, etc...is fine.

• Like 1

Mike.... What if you suggested to all the thousands of your fellow Cadets Alums that they follow your advice to scrap the Cadets military Cadet style uniform and go out with avarde garde costumes . How do you think that would go over with the vast numbers of your former Corps Alums

Mike.... What if you suggested to all the thousands of your fellow Cadets Alums that they follow your advice to scrap the Cadets military Cadet style uniform and go out with avarde garde costumes . How do you think that would go over with the vast numbers of your former Corps Alums

Given the reaction (in advance) to 2011...they would hate it. And???

• Like 1

Given the reaction (in advance) to 2011...they would hate it. And???

Why would you want to recommend that your former Corps scrap their iconic legendary military Style uniforms and go with avarde garde costumes?