Phantom Regiment 2014

I have never known of a specific uniform choice to have made the difference in how a specific corps' program is judged (although I leave open the possibility that this board will light up with opinions to the contrary).

I doubt it. My assessment of the DCP site is that not a single solitary DCP'er believes that a uniform choice makes a difference in how the judges judge the performance. My guess, your assessment of your fellow DCP'ers is wrong as it gives them little to no credit at all in knowing that a Corps choice of uniforms has nothing at all to do with how the show is judged by the judges. My asressment of my fellow DCP'ers is that there is NO " possibility " that DCP'ers do not know this. So don't expect the possibility that this DCP message board here will " light up with opinions to the contrary ", as in my opinion, thats not going to happen at all.

Edited by BRASSO

I mean, doesn't uniform choice indirectly affect judging? White pants will show mistakes easier than black pants will. Accidental movements, early/late step offs, etc. will show easier with those fringes dangling down. So obviously a judge is not going to be like "yeah that uniform is ugly, -10" but all these complex parts can create visual dirt that leads to lower scores.

• Like 1

I mean, doesn't uniform choice indirectly affect judging? White pants will show mistakes easier than black pants will. Accidental movements, early/late step offs, etc. will show easier with those fringes dangling down. So obviously a judge is not going to be like "yeah that uniform is ugly, -10" but all these complex parts can create visual dirt that leads to lower scores.

yes! and yes I have judged......a judge doesnt care what anyone wears ( guard if themed yes) but certain things on un iforms could add to dirt or more exposed like a stripe on pants, spats (1 of the reason Madison stopped using them ) white bucks ( shoes ) from the past with black pants and other things as well. those things like the fringe I think you are talking about could show more possibly or cover it up. I guess we will see.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Capes. That is all

I liked 27th Lancers uniforms WAY better than ( for one example ) the Westshoremen uniforms during that phase however, if we're comparing similar phases uniforms from BITD. I agree with you however that Phantom's " 27th Lancers phase " was not their best phase. I personally liked their all black phase, ie 1996 for example... simple color... nothing extravagant, but the all black, including the shakos, made Phantom look ballsy to me on the field. ( the mostly all white phase being a close 2nd to that )

i loved 27. I didn't love Phantoms version of it.

and hell, those old black and powder blue unis Westshore won...well...they better than the hand me downs from BD the corps wore for a few years before!

I doubt it. My assessment of the DCP site is that not a single solitary DCP'er believes that a uniform choice makes a difference in how the judges judge the performance. My guess, your assessment of your fellow DCP'ers is wrong as it gives them little to no credit at all in knowing that a Corps choice of uniforms has nothing at all to do with how the show is judged by the judges. My asressment of my fellow DCP'ers is that there is NO " possibility " that DCP'ers do not know this. So don't expect the possibility that this DCP message board here will " light up with opinions to the contrary ", as in my opinion, thats not going to happen at all.

oh on visual sheets, I think a uniform can play a part in things.

• Like 1

I agree. I think it worked really well on the field ( Crown )

they were amazing on the field. (and i was a huge skeptic before i saw them live).

the design complements their emphasis on the dance really well.

too bad so many corps are "trapped" by their conservatism. yeah the military look is ###### -- but it has literally no connection to what takes place on the field.

they were amazing on the field. (and i was a huge skeptic before i saw them live).

the design complements their emphasis on the dance really well.

too bad so many corps are "trapped" by their conservatism. yeah the military look is ###### -- but it has literally no connection to what takes place on the field.

I said that last yeat when peeople were ranting about the Crown uni...IMO drum corps needs to get away from the military look and focus more on costuming to their show themes and designs. Surf did it when in div II with their Elvis show and the Down the Shore show (my all-time favorite show of theirs).

I agree. I think it worked really well on the field ( Crown )

This.......(Phantom)

Rain showers during a performance can effect the scoring of a Corps too over that of a corps that had no rain showers during their performance. There are probably dozens of things that we can say that" indirectly effect the judging " of Corps in performance ( including things off the field ) . But on the whole, judges are competent enough to judge Corps where for all intents and purposes the choice of guard uniforms, and the main ensemble choice of uniforms from year to year is a complete non factor in that Corps final placements and scores of that Corps.. Phantom Regimdent changes their uniforms frequently... so don't most Corps. Yearly when it comes to the Guard uniform choices with all these Corps too. When have these Corps placements shifted as a result of the uniform choices they make each and every year in the offseason ? I submit.... none. Its not the main ensemble uniform choices or the guard uniform choices in these Corps that effects the scores and the placements. Its whats inside all these different uniforms that effects the scores and the final yearly placements with all these Corps.

Edited by BRASSO