DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

BRASSO, on 15 Dec 2013 - 9:56 PM, said:snapback.png

Thank you for that nice greeting and likewise Happy Holidays to you ( and to all the other " hibernators" here that poke their nose out of the winter cave every once in awhile to check on whats going on ). I really don't want to engage in rear view mirror stuff as to the myriad of reasons why we've lost so many fans of the activity. Its been beaten to death many times before on here and of course among our personal travels in talking with others too. I'm looking for a rennaisance, a rebirth, and I think its perhaps going to come when some of the current older show designers and directors give way to the next generation... the millenials. Once they assume leadership positions in brass arranging, visual designing, as Corps Directors, and of course just as importantly as judges, we might see a rebirth of things. I'm the cockeyed optimist. Because I choose to be.

This is a great observation/viewpoint. I've wondered if the "decline" in drum corps happened to parallel the 'baby boomers' growing up and entering the professional job world post-college. My dad graduated from college in 1974 or 1975, and he's definitely in that baby boomer generation, I believe (who really struggled to find a job in his degree field, had to 'settle' for a job he could find, and ended up changing his life because of it). If you add maybe 5-8 years to my dad's collegiate era (or maybe 10-12 for HS-aged MM's from BITD), then wouldn't it be about right that post-Baby Boomer generation the activity shrunk a bit because the Baby Boomers 'grew up'/aged-out (likewise, was there any boom in DCA/all-aged corps during the time when DCI corps saw a drop in participation?)?

Thank you for that nice greeting and likewise Happy Holidays to you ( and to all the other " hibernators" here that poke their nose out of the winter cave every once in awhile to check on whats going on ). I really don't want to engage in rear view mirror stuff as to the myriad of reasons why we've lost so many fans of the activity. Its been beaten to death many times before on here and of course among our personal travels in talking with others too. I'm looking for a rennaisance, a rebirth, and I think its perhaps going to come when some of the current older show designers and directors give way to the next generation... the millenials. Once they assume leadership positions in brass arranging, visual designing, as Corps Directors, and of course just as importantly as judges, we might see a rebirth of things. I'm the cockeyed optimist. Because I choose to be.

Anyway, yes this is a great point. This activity really feels like the people running things have been doing so for quite a long time: especially the people running the higher-tier/higher-achieving corps. Once a younger generation of leaders starts taking the reigns it will be very interesting to see what happens.

It's interesting that the main folks who are calling for change are people like Hop (Cadets director, what, 30+ years), Gibbs (BD director for 20+ years), Fiedler (DCI World Director for 20+ years), etc. The people pushing the envelope are those that have been DIRECTORS for decades! It will be interesting to see what the next generation brings to the activity (note: they'll have ginormous shoes to fill)

In marching band contests, I've never seen a "mad dash" to cover the clarinets when it rains. Just like a drum corps, the band keeps playing.

no but you see it at rehearsals

Which is why DCI has to continue and increase their focus on the scholastic market, both HS and college level. Those are really very untapped sources so far, numerically-speaking. 25,000 HS and thousands of colleges, most of them with some sort of band program, is a lot of potential people.

but again, there is no certainty with the scholastic market. Look we keep seeing school budgets get slashed and arts being among the first to go. that's not a surefire bet, as not every program is a 300 member Texas band

Dang Doug you make me feel old as I graduated HS in 1975. Saw an entire Sr circuit fold in the late 70s due to loss of smaller local Sr corps. I'd say a lot of those corps folded because of rising costs (gas tripling a biggie) vs loss in income as the home show (big income maker) had to keep raising the ticket price due to the rising costs. As less people showed up in response to the higher price the profit margin went to crap. And when the show is in a small population area with a bunch of lesser corps the potential audience size isn't that great. Add to that the tanked economy late 70s/early 80s and lot of potential marchers were more interested in earning money for the family than do DC. That is if they didn't just up and move out of the area (anyone been thru Johnsonburg, PA lately?).

Not 100% sure of the Jr corps decline comparing years to lost corps/members but feel it has to be close.

More as audience, at least initially. There are hundreds of potential members auditionnig, so as long as the number of corps remains as-is, I don't see a huge bump there, except in maybe more kids joining Open class corps, who often DO have openings, and some loweer World class corps. Maybe, and that is more wishful thinking than something I have a lot of confidence will happen...more scholastic people attending shows will lead to more demand for some new corps, but as you say, it is a very expensive proposition, at any level.

Given the huge number of potential audience, IMO there is still a lot of opportunity to draw them in, and DCI is still not "there" yet on that front.

key words....at least initially.There's no guarantee they stick, so you just keep recycling people in and out at best

• Like 1

This is a great observation/viewpoint. I've wondered if the "decline" in drum corps happened to parallel the 'baby boomers' growing up and entering the professional job world post-college. My dad graduated from college in 1974 or 1975, and he's definitely in that baby boomer generation, I believe (who really struggled to find a job in his degree field, had to 'settle' for a job he could find, and ended up changing his life because of it). If you add maybe 5-8 years to my dad's collegiate era (or maybe 10-12 for HS-aged MM's from BITD), then wouldn't it be about right that post-Baby Boomer generation the activity shrunk a bit because the Baby Boomers 'grew up'/aged-out (likewise, was there any boom in DCA/all-aged corps during the time when DCI corps saw a drop in participation?)?

all age if anything showed decline in total numbers until about 10 years ago.

If anyone has, I'm just curious -- does it still smell like Johnsonburg?

sadly yes

:sadlike:But does J-burg still have the factories that belch out yellow, gray, purple, white, black, brown smoke??? All colors in about 5 minutes