DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

DCI did a study a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, the majority of people in the stands are either current students, recent alums, or friends and family of the performers. Legacy fans are about 1/3 of the live audience base (though I suspect they'd be the majority of the on-line viewers).

If those numbers are right, then it's possible that Hopkins may be correct in believing that expanding the instrumentation expands the audience base. But that isn't, in and of itself, a compelling reason for making a drastic change to the nature of the activity. One could argue that forcing football to include figure skaters on the field could bring in the figure skating crowd to watch the NFL, but it'd be hard to say it would be an improvement to the game of football.

Edited by Slingerland

DCI did a study a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, the majority of people in the stands are either current students, recent alums, or friends and family of the performers. Legacy fans are about 1/3 of the live audience base (though I suspect they'd be the majority of the on-line viewers).

If those numbers are right, then it's possible that Hopkins may be correct in believing that expanding the instrumentation expands the audience base. That isn't, in and of itself, a compelling reason for making a drastic change to the nature of the activity. One could argue that forcing football to include figure skaters on the field could bring in the figure skating crowd to watch the NFL, but it'd be hard to say it would be an improvement to the game of football.

It would be nice to be able to point to that exact study.

the longer fans stick around, the more revenue you can get each year. Diehards will go to several shows a year and travel....parents often don't. diehards are the folks that have upgraded from albums to tapes to cds to online media, as well as vhs to dvd and online media. parents will maybe get their kids years and thats it.

I'm in the band world Charlie. I see the ups and downs of relying on parents. You have some parents that go to everything...and you have many parents that dont even go see a show 20 minutes away.

It's common business sense that you want to grow a business by not only always adding new, but retaining customers. But retention is something DCI only throws occasional stabs at. Sure band parents cycle in and out, but it can be a fickle group that isn't do or die to see a drum corps show. The more you retain, the better off you are.

I know that customer retention is usually cheaper than customer aquisition. But how do we define "legacy fans" nowadays anymore? Surely we aren't talking about people that marched in the 70's and 80's and trying to retain them? I mean people that marched in the 90's and 00's are in there 30's and 40's now and if there is a "legacy" demographic to focus on its them and their young children.

Marchers from the 70s are today aged between 45 and 55. They represent a highly interested audience at their peak of their earning potential and, likely, their discretionary income. Their years of continued interest represent them of among the most die-hard fans.

Getting participants from the younger generations is certainly the correct approach, but ignoring the highest-earning demographic of interested fans is stupid when, generally, they've shown a willingness to stick it out through changes that make the activity little like it was when they marched.

If it wants to be the recipient of some of this "legacy" groups good fortune and hard life's work, DCI can't ignore and alienate them in favor of the younger (and likely with less discretionary income) parents of new marching members,

• Like 3

Marchers from the 70s are today aged between 45 and 55. They represent a highly interested audience at their peak of their earning potential and, likely, their discretionary income. Their years of continued interest represent them of among the most die-hard fans.

Getting participants from the younger generations is certainly the correct approach, but ignoring the highest-earning demographic of interested fans is stupid when, generally, they've shown a willingness to stick it out through changes that make the activity little like it was when they marched.

If it wants to be the recipient of some of this "legacy" groups good fortune and hard life's work, DCI can't ignore and alienate them in favor of the younger (and likely with less discretionary income) parents of new marching members,

That's all fine but I'm not sure that the survey that was posted above really supports that.

"The survey also found that the average respondent to be nearly 38 years old, with an average home value of $137,854. Thirty-eight percent of respondents were drum corps alumni, while 13 percent were related to performers.

Not surprisingly, the largest groups among audience respondents had ages suggesting that they were primarily students, recent corps alumni or parents of current corps members."

"Among other purchases, a third had bought merchandise from one corps, while another 21 percent made purchases from more than one corps. Fourteen percent purchased merchandise from DCI. He found purchases aren’t necessarily from those with the most to spend.

“As a general observation, the corps would tell you that they tend to do best in areas where the audience is a little younger and more heavily seeded with students,” he said. “I think corps would rather sell merchandise in San Antonio or down South than they would in Allentown.”

The report would support that notion, with the average age of attendees at Allentown’s DCI “Eastern Classic” being the oldest at 43.18, with San Antonio’s DCI Southwestern Championship nearly 10 years younger at 33.66. The DCI Louisville event had the youngest fans at 30.43."

Granted the survey is 5 years old but even so I can't imagine that in the recent years the prevelence of older fans has increased from this general example. And even for those that say drum corps was in its "prime" in the 80's i don't think they relied on legacy fan incomes to support the activity. I guess that would be people who marched in 50-60's?!

Edited by charlie1223

<responding to Garfields post about 70s marchers - for some reason quote and cut-n-paste is not working.>

How old is the 70s are in 45-55 age range quote? I hit 22 after 1979 season and 56 now so sounds like an old quote or typo that meant 80s marchers. Would like to know the percentage and age range of "legacy" fans over the last 10-15 years. From personal experience I know how easy it is to find more important things in your life as you age and your life changes. Also know how almost impossible it is for people to come back to following corps after leaving for a while. And.... let's not get into how much harder it gets to be able to sit thru all day of drum corps or anything else as we age. Not to mention safely get around those blasted stadium seats and aisles after long periods of sitting.

s/ guy who will be "webbing" to shows in 2014....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

<responding to Garfields post about 70s marchers - for some reason quote and cut-n-paste is not working.>

How old is the 70s are in 45-55 age range quote? I hit 22 after 1979 season and 56 now so sounds like an old quote or typo that meant 80s marchers. Would like to know the percentage and age range of "legacy" fans over the last 10-15 years. From personal experience I know how easy it is to find more important things in your life as you age and your life changes. Also know how almost impossible it is for people to come back to following corps after leaving for a while. And.... let's not get into how much harder it gets to be able to sit thru all day of drum corps or anything else as we age. Not to mention safely get around those blasted stadium seats and aisles after long periods of sitting.

s/ guy who will be "webbing" to shows in 2014....

you are so right...it's about time for some real reasons...sure people leave because of change BUT ..many dont go to shows for many many reasons as life goes on some of which you mentioned........................although some would love people believe its because no marching pits, which horns are used....guard costuming, color or height of plumes, movement instead of high leg lift......dont think so!!!!! at least nowhere close to majority...whatever that is....lol

Edited by GUARDLING