Countdown to WILDWOOD!

challenging for logistics however. Be interesting to see

I can see Red Bull stadium from the office, but I have no idea whether it is turf or natural grass (how bad is that??). I think having championships that close to NYC would be a great thing for fans in that they have more to do than they would have time to do as far as tourist-type things. I also KNOW that the people who complained about how much Annapolis hotels costs would be the same ones up in arms over hotels here. The other problem I could foresee is warm-up areas for the corps around Red Bull. Being able to show my co-workers what it is I talk about during the summer though would be very nice.

Natural grass from what I could Google from the NY Times and NJ.COM. I wonder if that would be an issue for the stadium agreeing to permit a marching/music competition.

Cost of hotels might be an issue. Since it is located in a fairly urban setting, open land for warmups is at a premium. Frank E. Rogers Blvd South, where it is located, is convenient to I280, which means it is convenient to the NJ Tpk. Also, Rt 21 is nearby. There is a newly rebuilt PATH Stop a short walk to the stadium as well.

One good thing for the gourmets...it is a VERY short drive to Ferry St in Newark, where there are magnificent Portugese restaurants.

Also, the MLS schedule does overlap the DCA champs weekend, so that would need to be factored in.

• Like 1

I can't wait to go back to Rochester,............great drum corps town, great fans, perfect size stadium, reasonable hotel pricing, convieniently located hotels, great I&E venue, locals love having the activity in their town, good stadium food and pricing, easy to get around,............etc.

There are a couple people complaining about going to Rochester, but I am sure they will be more than offset by fans from the region that will attend when compared to Annapolis. Remember, DCA is the members corps, and they voted for the move to Rochester. My guess is that the financial return to the corps from Annapolis was miniscule, and just like the heavily defended position of corps from the NE not wanting or having to travel out of region being financially based, that argument translates well in to this matter.

If you want to see finals somewhere else, submit a bid.

Your speech is well noted for the record.

Except you forgot one thing.

Annapolis was Geographically CLOSER for the MAJORITY of the DCA MEMBER corps in terms of travel distance when you do the math.

I said back in August that we were not going back to Annapolis and I was right then and I am right now. !!!!!!

Annapolis was Geographically CLOSER for the MAJORITY of the DCA MEMBER corps in terms of travel distance when you do the math.

I said back in August that we were not going back to Annapolis and I was right then and I am right now. !!!!!!

Didn't you say DCA was never going back to Annapolis?

Never say never.

• Like 1

Didn't you say DCA was never going back to Annapolis?

Never say never.

Never smever. Not in our lifetimes anyways.

Edited by camel lips

Never smever. Not in our lifetimes anyways.

not sure about that. the folks there seemed happy. it's just that pesky football team using our field is in the way

Thanks,............travel distance math is apparently less important than the financial return to corps math,.................and as Jeff said,..........the stadium in MD is booked for football next labor day weekend, and as most know, it is really only available every other year, so a two year bid is generally not possible there,................

I think it's amazing that a Countdown to Wildwood (1st show of 2014) has morphed into a discussion about Championships that are three years away ... who's competing in Wildwood this year anyway? ... has a tentative list of corps been published? ... Maxwell Field ... historic site of many AL and VFW State Championships ... any stories to share? ... many NJ Jr's made their bones at these shows in the 60's ... AL held early in the season ... VFW late ...

:-)

• Like 1

I think it's amazing that a Countdown to Wildwood (1st show of 2014) has morphed into a discussion about Championships that are three years away ... who's competing in Wildwood this year anyway? ... has a tentative list of corps been published? ... Maxwell Field ... historic site of many AL and VFW State Championships ... any stories to share? ... many NJ Jr's made their bones at these shows in the 60's ... AL held early in the season ... VFW late ...

:-)

Great points, Andy.

My junior corps days.... competing in the VFW and AL States, on the inspection line at some ungodly early hour... a couple of years we were either the first or second corps on the field. Inspection at 6:30 AM, on the starting line at 6:45, give or take.

The only people in the stands at that hour were our chaperones and the chaperones of the corps on either right before or after us. :tongue:

Always had more fun at the September AL States show. At the June VFW show, we didn't have as much time to enjoy the boardwalk, etc., because a number of times we had either a show or rehearsal the next day. At the AL show, our season usually was over. So, more time to relax after the show/parade.

Edited by Fran Haring