DOWNsize it?

I'm pretty sure that Cadets2 & CV will place higher than Empire this year...

well I would hope they aren't folding

DCI is the only major competitive governing body organization which allows their various competitive groups to have unfettered expenditures, there is my 'proof'. As for why expenditure limits are necessary for a level competitive field all one has to do is look at the underdog Butler the past few years in NCAA div I basketball; which as it stands would never be possible for underdog groups within the competitive world of DCI.

what's the spending cap in the NCAA? the players arent supposed to get paid, so that's a non issue. Please tell me Butler spends on their program what Duke does, and is mandated by NCAA rule.

Oh wait, you can't, because there is none

While I am not for a DCI draft (because performers pay to be involved and are not paid to be involved) the NFL draft does point to my contention of how that is a rule which makes the NFL more competitively equitable than DCI. Also, there is an NFL mandated cap on how much each team can use to pay players each season which keeps the ultra-rich teams from just buying all the great players; which is also a rule that makes the NFL more competitively equitable than DCI.

and players can refuse to sign with a team or force a trade, so the draft isn't always all that, right mr. Elway?

a) The governing body of DCI is a non-prfit. Ummmmm... the NFL, PGA, NHL governing bodies are also all non-profits. In fact I highly, and mean highly respect the way the PGA is ran as a non-profit. The PGA helps out more charities, especially local charities, than DCI or any DCI corps would even dream to help.

b) The NCAA Board consists of Presidents from NCAA sanctioned scools just like DCI Board consists of directors from various drum corps; yet the NCAA creates way more equitable competitive rules to make sure the schools with the most revenue do not get a huge advantage within the realm of athletic competition.

c) A fancy new uniform, a state-of-the art stadium, and other types of amenities have nothing to do with the NCAA governing body rules of competitive equability. Now if the NCAA rules were created in a way in which more points were given to the team with the most expensive latest technology then that would be a huge competitive rule advantage for one team over the other (ie like MikeD confirming that marching judges, via the way the judging sheets are constructed by the governing body, give more points to groups with electronics and amplification than to groups without those technological advances)

d) Yes, individual NCAA sanctioned teams like Alabama do various things within the parameters of the NCAA rules to get a competitive edge; as well as they should!!! However, Alabama is not given the edge based on the NCAA governing body creating rules which gives Alabama, or any other of the top ten revenue schools, completive advantages over other less fortunate schools. DCI as a governing body, on the other hand, certainly has created competitive rules which heavily favor the higher revenue corps over the lower revenue corps.

the NCAA is also at the mercy of the presidents/ADs/coaches of the major conferences, so again, your theory is ######## Stu. Look how many mid majors get into the NCAA tourney vs teams from the majors that are just ok. Look at the BCS...how many non major conference players are there?

So again, the NCAA is skewed towards the top just as DCI is. You just refuse to believe it, but it's 100% true.

ok you could follow it...but the caption is "entertainment"....so you weren't entertained by it. so again, explain to me their near perfect numbers?

MBI made a lot of sense....it was Lutherans vs evil. Didn't even need a program to get that. MBI's problem at finals was they tried too hard

Simple - the judges (paid audience) were more entertained than I.

• Like 1

Simple - the judges (paid audience) were more entertained than I.

right. which means the sheet is just as misunderstood as general effect is.

right. which means the sheet is just as misunderstood as general effect is.

OK - fair enough. Lets go down this path.

New Judging System: Eliminate GE. Judge execution alone. Have it judged by some sort of robot/drone that can be set to a certain 'tolerance' level for alignment, spacing, etc. Put microphones on it & write an algorithm that listens to timing,intonation, etc. This could eliminate 'west-coast inflation' as all judge drones would be programmed identically. Heck, if a corps could not afford the trip to Indy, bring the drones to the corps & fit them into the overall placement that way.

Or maybe not.

GE is in the eye/ear of the beholder. Always has been. Just some eyes/ears (those belonging to the judges) count more than others.

avoidance of music rights fees (use old stuff)

This will shrink the audience and potential performer pool. We've seen bits of shows cut from recordings due to rights issues, and more importantly, people CARE that those bits are missing. Playing music that is currently culturally relevant is something that needs to continue.

Maybe just make a rule that corps must live within their means. Drum corps used to be about life-lessons like this...

Corps that don't live within their means fold. There is no reason to make a rule that says "Don't fold or we'll cut you"

Name one, just one other major competitive govening body which allows for unrestricted spending, unrestricted expansion, unrestricted equipmet purchases, name just one? You asked what I want, I want DCI, as a competitive governing body, to regulate expendatures, regulate rules of competitiveness, just like all other major competitive governing bodies which in turn makes competition equitable. Does this mean the rules and regulations should be the same for OC as they are for WC? Nope; the regulations should be stricter for the OC and more flexible for the WC. But does it mean that an organization like Spirit should be able to be on equal WC competitive footing as BD and SCV based on things other than million dollar financing? Yes!!! Just like Green Bay Packers is nowhere the financial powerhouse as the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL, as the competitive governing body, makes darn sure that they each have equal competitive footing through expendature regulations and other rules which allows for the Packers to be in the playoffs this year while the Cowboys are sitting at home.

If the "purpose" of DCI is equal *competitive* footing, then disallowing unrestricted anything would be good.. but is that the purpose? Or is it more an educational and musical experience for the members? In which case why would you limit what groups can do if they have the members that want to do it and the money to support it?