DOWNsize it?

A major difference between DCI and the NFL is that potential members are free to audition where they wish, while NFL players are drafted by teams.

Oh, and the hundreds of million dollars of TV revenue to the teams and millions teams pay to players.

While I am not for a DCI draft (because performers pay to be involved and are not paid to be involved) the NFL draft does point to my contention of how that is a rule which makes the NFL more competitively equitable than DCI. Also, there is an NFL mandated cap on how much each team can use to pay players each season which keeps the ultra-rich teams from just buying all the great players; which is also a rule that makes the NFL more competitively equitable than DCI.

In the course of a million dollar budget, I don't think ~$20k is going to make a difference for a new corps trying to get started/involved in DCI.

You have just supported my position. It should not have to take a million dollar per year budget to create an upstart corps to competitively engage in DCI. That is why I am a huge advocate of Sound Sport, Drum Battle, and for downsizing performance requirements at least within the realm of the OC with much of the DCI governing body service support going to those causes.

NCAA div I men's basketball has a 11,000,000,000 14-year contract with CBS to broadcast March Madness, with almost 500,000,000 being distributed to the various conferences and teams each year. Butler receives a nice chunk of that, plus other revenue of course.

And that deals with the NCAA engaging in creating regulations of equitable competitive rules to make sure that Stanford, University of Texas, University of Michigan (three of the top revenue schools in the United States) cannot buy their way to any NCAA championship wins how?

Against my better judgement, I'll indulge your 'major competitive governing body' analogy. Most other 'major competitive governing bodies' are also for-profit enterprises. Drum corps are limited by their non-profit statuses anyways, and many don't make the kind of megabucks that inspire salary caps, etc. You want to talk about disparities in sports? How about Oregon's uniform situation? How about better facilities at top schools, blah blah blah?

Organizations do a lot to give themselves a competitive edge, as they should. It takes a lot of time and hard work to get there - Alabama football didn't just become the program it is overnight.

a) The governing body of DCI is a non-prfit. Ummmmm... the NFL, PGA, NHL governing bodies are also all non-profits. In fact I highly, and mean highly respect the way the PGA is ran as a non-profit. The PGA helps out more charities, especially local charities, than DCI or any DCI corps would even dream to help.

b) The NCAA Board consists of Presidents from NCAA sanctioned scools just like DCI Board consists of directors from various drum corps; yet the NCAA creates way more equitable competitive rules to make sure the schools with the most revenue do not get a huge advantage within the realm of athletic competition.

c) A fancy new uniform, a state-of-the art stadium, and other types of amenities have nothing to do with the NCAA governing body rules of competitive equability. Now if the NCAA rules were created in a way in which more points were given to the team with the most expensive latest technology then that would be a huge competitive rule advantage for one team over the other (ie like MikeD confirming that marching judges, via the way the judging sheets are constructed by the governing body, give more points to groups with electronics and amplification than to groups without those technological advances)

d) Yes, individual NCAA sanctioned teams like Alabama do various things within the parameters of the NCAA rules to get a competitive edge; as well as they should!!! However, Alabama is not given the edge based on the NCAA governing body creating rules which gives Alabama, or any other of the top ten revenue schools, completive advantages over other less fortunate schools. DCI as a governing body, on the other hand, certainly has created competitive rules which heavily favor the higher revenue corps over the lower revenue corps.

(ie like MikeD confirming that marching judges, via the way the judging sheets are constructed by the governing body, give more points to groups with electronics and amplification than to groups without those technological advances)

Don't you dare lie about what I wrote.

• Like 1

c) A fancy new uniform, a state-of-the art stadium, and other types of amenities have nothing to do with the NCAA governing body rules of competitive equability. Now if the NCAA rules were created in a way in which more points were given to the team with the most expensive latest technology then that would be a huge competitive rule advantage for one team over the other

Schools in the NCAA have no limit on the technology they use to further their sports programs, or on the $$$ they spend on staff, so they can attract the best coaches they can afford. Schools who have the money to build the best facilities and hire the best coaches do have a competitive advantage.

The only "limit" is on the scholarships they may give. For Div I FBS schools, they can give out 85 football scholarships alone, hardly much of a "limit".

And that deals with the NCAA engaging in creating regulations of equitable competitive rules to make sure that Stanford, University of Texas, University of Michigan (three of the top revenue schools in the United States) cannot buy their way to any NCAA championship wins how?

The dollars involved are huge, which makes any comparison to drum corps ludicrous.

a) The governing body of DCI is a non-prfit. Ummmmm... the NFL, PGA, NHL governing bodies are also all non-profits. In fact I highly, and mean highly respect the way the PGA is ran as a non-profit. The PGA helps out more charities, especially local charities, than DCI or any DCI corps would even dream to help.

You respect the PGA for its charity work?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2013/05/08/the-pga-tour-a-not-for-profit-money-machine/

"According to the PGA Tour’s 990 tax form, revenues in 2011, its most recent reporting year, were $973 million. Its annual report lists the revenue for that year at just over $1 billion. And the tour itself says its revenues were closer to $2 billion."

"The tour carries a halo because of all the money it generates for charity–last year the total was more than $130 million. But nearly all of that money comes directly from the tour’s sponsors and host organizations and never runs through the tour’s books, and the biggest grantee, the World Golf Foundation, supports the cause of … promoting golf."

Are you claiming that Statesmen were over-scored by 2.5 points? (Which is how much ahead of CV they ended.)

well......yeah. No offense to my Empire friends, and they had a very fun show that was a perfect tribute to 30 years of Empire, and a perfect way to say goodbye....yes.

show design was what it always was. Sure they played well. they should have, they didn't have the visual demand of corps 1-3 and 5-8. I will admit for once, the pitted screamers were an enhancement, and not the show, which was a plus. I realize finals night was emotional, but people missed stepoffs. If c2 had had a guard, Empire's easily in 5th, and I'm still unsure why CV was below them. CV was easily the best they've ever been.

• Like 1

I could 'follow' Bucs show although I didn't care for it. No question it was the best of the season. MBI made no sense to me - why rip your uniforms off, a few members at at time, and throw them in a pot of boiling oil. I also did not care for the music. It was well executed (I guess), but I just did not get what they were trying to do. No problem here following Empire & Cabs. This is just me. Your milage may vary...

ok you could follow it...but the caption is "entertainment"....so you weren't entertained by it. so again, explain to me their near perfect numbers?

MBI made a lot of sense....it was Lutherans vs evil. Didn't even need a program to get that. MBI's problem at finals was they tried too hard

• Like 1