DOWNsize it?

I brought up this topic because I was under the impression it had become too expensive for nearly ALL corps to continue as per usual. I also believe the economics will continue to challenge with pressures growing even more this year as consumers cut back spending in areas like ours. So, how will corps keep their heads above water?

From what I read here, for some corps, there is NO need to make any changes, certainly not downsize anything. What then? Continue raising ticket prices, merchandise fees, member fees? Spend down cash reserves? Run up the credit card?

Perhaps DCI just needs a NEW division, that being DCI-Unlimited. A separate group of well-managed corps that can spend anything, do anything they want, including becoming full instrumentation marching bands. Not just add woodwinds, but maybe stringed instruments and on-field choral ensembles. A regal group that doesn't have to sweat the 'small' stuff, like declining audience size.

I would hope that type of group competes with its own set of scoring sheets, makes decisions that only effects participants in its divisions. A sandbox for EVERY level! A new, ULTRA World Champion!

• Like 1

corps have ALWAYS had to go the extra mile to be competitive at the top.....27th lancers....big flashy guard with big WOWs

Speaking of the Lancers, you know who wrote the work and did most of the cleaning for that ace rifle line during their heyday? The rifle line members and their guard captain. Just saying...which begs the question: is there really a need for a dozen people, paid or volunteers, working on a single caption?

Perhaps my opinion is unpopular but I think I'd rather have a downsized corps than no corps at all. Sometimes you have to work with what you have. How many corps have we lost because of overspending in a bid to "turn out a higher quality product"?

Speaking of the Lancers, you know who wrote the work and did most of the cleaning for that ace rifle line during their heyday? The rifle line members and their guard captain. Just saying...which begs the question: is there really a need for a dozen people, paid or volunteers, working on a single caption?

Perhaps my opinion is unpopular but I think I'd rather have a downsized corps than no corps at all. Sometimes you have to work with what you have. How many corps have we lost because of overspending in a bid to "turn out a higher quality product"?

i was also one of the instructors that taught alone for many years BUT I can tell you having members part of the staff is a problem waiting to happen..Ive seen very few times,,,especially today....that it works

many felt empire should have been even lower

yes youre right...entertainment is very subjective

Look, I taught Empire, and I'm sad they're gone....that's at least 8 annual jokes i can't tell any more LOL.

But....no, they weren't 4th place overall. I'm amazed 5 and 6 didn't go postal

• Like 1

I brought up this topic because I was under the impression it had become too expensive for nearly ALL corps to continue as per usual. I also believe the economics will continue to challenge with pressures growing even more this year as consumers cut back spending in areas like ours. So, how will corps keep their heads above water?

From what I read here, for some corps, there is NO need to make any changes, certainly not downsize anything. What then? Continue raising ticket prices, merchandise fees, member fees? Spend down cash reserves? Run up the credit card?

Perhaps DCI just needs a NEW division, that being DCI-Unlimited. A separate group of well-managed corps that can spend anything, do anything they want, including becoming full instrumentation marching bands. Not just add woodwinds, but maybe stringed instruments and on-field choral ensembles. A regal group that doesn't have to sweat the 'small' stuff, like declining audience size.

I would hope that type of group competes with its own set of scoring sheets, makes decisions that only effects participants in its divisions. A sandbox for EVERY level! A new, ULTRA World Champion!

I'm not saying there's no need for changes. But wholesale dial back 10-20 years in design and instrumentation is a surefire way to kill it off and drive kids away.

I think ,and I'm not sure if this came up in the other threads, but these lengthy spring trainings are huge funds eaters. A month or so for several corps, who still don't always come out done or at least with the framework out there. so what the hell did they do for a month?

Really, keeping costs down, of which instrumentation is the smallest part, is more about travel and fuel and food and insurance. Do you really think adding concert numbers will bring back the many fans that left? No. And odds are it will chase current fans away. right now the issues that face DCI, and drum corps at large are far more board room issues than the product on the field. It's too late now to win back many of the fans who are gone.

• Like 1

Look, I taught Empire, and I'm sad they're gone--that's at least eight annual jokes I can't tell any more, LOL.

But ... no, they weren't 4th place overall. I'm amazed 5 and 6 didn't go postal.

Are you claiming that Statesmen were over-scored by 2.5 points? (Which is how much ahead of CV they ended.)

true...however, if you look at prelims compared to finals, you see a flat MBI run as more of the culprit, because by using your logic, shouldn't Bucs have been below both Cabs and Empire? That show was not exactly a toe tapper.

Entertainment is just as subjective as effect. As such, that sheet does nothing to clarify what's entertaining to the fans.

I could 'follow' Bucs show although I didn't care for it. No question it was the best of the season. MBI made no sense to me - why rip your uniforms off, a few members at at time, and throw them in a pot of boiling oil. I also did not care for the music. It was well executed (I guess), but I just did not get what they were trying to do. No problem here following Empire & Cabs. This is just me. Your milage may vary...