DOWNsize it?

Just wanted to quote this first. Now you may begin walking it back.

For starters, take a look at the last time the kids of Sudbury, Ontario, had a visit from these "much better corps" you speak of. Honestly, the only Sudbury kids who get to see those corps are the ones who already toured with Blue Saints.

Who said it had to be live?

im asking you..is that what you want to happen..the upper corps to give up their stuff because someone else cant have them?..you mentioned Blue Saints alot lately...you on staff now?..hmmmmmm..lol

Name one, just one other major competitive govening body which allows for unrestricted spending, unrestricted expansion, unrestricted equipmet purchases, name just one? You asked what I want, I want DCI, as a competitive governing body, to regulate expendatures, regulate rules of competitiveness, just like all other major competitive governing bodies which in turn makes competition equitable. Does this mean the rules and regulations should be the same for OC as they are for WC? Nope; the regulations should be stricter for the OC and more flexible for the WC. But does it mean that an organization like Spirit should be able to be on equal WC competitive footing as BD and SCV based on things other than million dollar financing? Yes!!! Just like Green Bay Packers is nowhere the financial powerhouse as the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL, as the competitive governing body, makes darn sure that they each have equal competitive footing through expendature regulations and other rules which allows for the Packers to be in the playoffs this year while the Cowboys are sitting at home.

Name one, just one other major competitive govening body which allows for unrestricted spending, unrestricted expansion, unrestricted equipmet purchases, name just one? You asked what I want, I want DCI, as a competitive governing body, to regulate expendatures, regulate rules of competitiveness, just like all other major competitive governing bodies which in turn makes competition equitable. Does this mean the rules and regulations should be the same for OC as they are for WC? Nope; the regulations should be stricter for the OC and more flexible for the WC. But does it mean that an organization like Spirit should be able to be on equal WC competitive footing as BD and SCV based on things other than million dollar financing? Yes!!! Just like Green Bay Packers is nowhere the financial powerhouse as the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL, as the competitive governing body, makes darn sure that they each have equal competitive footing through expendature regulations and other rules which allows for the Packers to be in the playoffs this year while the Cowboys are sitting at home.

i really dont have to name 1 anything..its your argument to prove...being that DCI does NOT have what you want...NOW...you still beleive something like Spirit minus whatever you want is still going to be anything close to like a BD...hmmmmmmmm you really seem to think it would make a difference?..I dont...not at all, wouldnt matter one bit....you are also saauming alot thinking that some of these lower corps dont want the bells and whistles

i really dont have to name 1 anything..its your argument to prove...being that DCI does NOT have what you want...NOW...you still beleive something like Spirit minus whatever you want is still going to be anything close to like a BD...hmmmmmmmm you really seem to think it would make a difference?..I dont...not at all, wouldnt matter one bit....you are also saauming alot thinking that some of these lower corps dont want the bells and whistles

DCI is the only major competitive governing body organization which allows their various competitive groups to have unfettered expenditures, there is my 'proof'. As for why expenditure limits are necessary for a level competitive field all one has to do is look at the underdog Butler the past few years in NCAA div I basketball; which as it stands would never be possible for underdog groups within the competitive world of DCI.

DCI is the only major competitive governing body organization which allows their various competitive groups to have unfettered expenditures, there is my 'proof'. As for why expenditure limits are necessary for a level competitive field all one has to do is look at the underdog Butler the past few years in NCAA div I basketball; which as it stands would never be possible for underdog groups within the competitive world of DCI.

i wont even address comparisons ( mean nothing to me ) and we claim to so unique...soooooooooooo why compare....youve been asked before and not just by me...do you think it would make ANY difference? and what..I dont AT ALL

also..where's the limit.

Edited by GUARDLING

A major difference between DCI and the NFL is that potential members are free to audition where they wish, while NFL players are drafted by teams.

Oh, and the hundreds of million dollars of TV revenue to the teams and millions teams pay to players.

Awwwww shucks folks; a few corps would lose some musical ‘color’ and OMG that would be downright devastating. So what!!! Downsizing equipment requirements to be competitive would allow for less equipment and staff expenditure per corps, allow for more corps to become involved in DCI, which in turn would allow for more youth to be involved and served by DCI as a whole.

In the course of a million dollar budget, I don't think ~$20k is going to make a difference for a new corps trying to get started/involved in DCI.

Against my better judgement, I'll indulge your 'major competitive governing body' analogy. Most other 'major competitive governing bodies' are also for-profit enterprises. Drum corps are limited by their non-profit statuses anyways, and many don't make the kind of megabucks that inspire salary caps, etc. You want to talk about disparities in sports? How about Oregon's uniform situation? How about better facilities at top schools, blah blah blah?

Organizations do a lot to give themselves a competitive edge, as they should. It takes a lot of time and hard work to get there - Alabama football didn't just become the program it is overnight.

NCAA div I men's basketball has a 11,000,000,000 14-year contract with CBS to broadcast March Madness, with almost 500,000,000 being distributed to the various conferences and teams each year. Butler receives a nice chunk of that, plus other revenue of course.