The Pronunciation of "Caballeros"

Slightly off-topic, but still related to pronunciation of the Cabs' name.

No idea where I heard this, but it goes something like the following (yes, it's that old a recollection that the Cadets were still in Garfield). Apologies in advance for the mangled phonetics.

Ya got ya Garfield Cadets

Ya got ya New Yawk Skyliners

But ya just can't beat dem Hawthorne Cabayerees

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic, but still related to pronunciation of the Cabs' name.

No idea where I heard this, but it goes something like the following (yes, it's that old a recollection that the Cadets were still in Garfield). Apologies in advance for the mangled phonetics.

Ya got ya Garfield Cadets

Ya got ya New Yawk Skyliners

But ya just can't beat dem Hawthorne Cabayerees

Without going into further details... I know where you heard this. :ph34r:

And it's not correct, to the original.

Again... I cannot comment further on this public forum while the statute of limitations is still in effect. :tongue:

• Like 2

Funny! Last name is Zampella my wife works in a school that is predominantly Spanish. They call her Mrs. Zampayya.

Amarillo Texas is another example of this... I don't know the real answer but one might infer that is has to do with the fact that the corps was founded by a bunch of guys from New Jersey rather than Spain. :silly:

Buffy I think your answer is closest to the fact... From Paterson, NJ None the less...lol

• Like 2

This appears as an edit because it got posted without content..... also, I don't see a place where you can delete a post.....

Anyway, My point was that "Caballero" could be pronounced either way, with am "L" sound or a "Y" sound.... BUT NOT BOTH. The incorrect way would be "Cabal - yeros"

Also, I pointed out that the Clifton, NJ Board of Ed voted on Wednesday to replace the grass field at the stadium with artificial turf....

Edited by JoeDz