star/crown similarities?

I actually wish the internet HAD been in full use in those days. Think how great it would be to actually be able to reference honest, broad-reaching and real historical archives of what occurred at the time. All types of observations of events at the actual time they had happened. As time goes on, the stories have been massaged, varied interpretations have influenced people's memories vs reality. And unfortunately, some of history has been re-written to an extent. Kudos to Bill Cook for putting his historical perspective into writing as soon as he had the chance.

Also, remember when Blue Stars were the current Star of Indiana? Seems like so long ago. Whatever happened to the Madison will be the new Star buzz? I'm old and have a hard time keeping track of this stuff.

BD (of recent years) and Star are most similar. They both did/do not fear stepping out on the edge....and the consequences.

I agree. I observe far more similarities between Star of Indiana and current Blue Devils than between Star of Indiana and current Carolina Crown. I only wish that after Star in their later years decided to ( your words ) "to step out of the edge" that they did not decide to step out of DCI altogether. Had they stayed in DCI we would be able now to compare and contrast the similarities and the differences between all 3 of these current version Corps now. That said, it was good to see the moderators allow this historical diiscussion take place on this side of DCP instead of the DCP Historical side of this DCP site as some of the newer fans might have missed this discussion on that side of DCP where former and current DCI Corps (and pre DCI), shows, placements, scores, etc are discussed there frequently on the DCP so named " Historical Junior Corps Discussions " .

Edited by BRASSO

You really mean "Hysterical Junior Group Discussions" don't you?

Com'on Ghost, if I wanted to be a wise guy self deprecating Dino, I would have referred to that side of this DCP site as " The Hysterectomy/ Hip Replacement Junior Corps Discussions " forum.

Edited by BRASSO

• 2 weeks later...

There is most definitely a connection. Many of us Star Alums more or less consider Crown our 'home team'. Since about 2003 there has been an incredible amount of Star Alums and former Star instructors on staff with Crown. Of course at it's heart it is the brass staff and the long time consulting of our beloved mentor, Donnie Van Doren. Donnie and the Star alums have found homes with many corps over the years and helped give them success. Crossmen, Cadets (in many ways a return to the mother ship) Blue Stars, and now Madison & Troopers. But Crown in particular followed a path in programming and philosophy that was well in place with Star in the 90s and Brass Theater years. The cream uniforms, the dynamic body movements, the wall of sound, and many other evolutions of things near and dear to the Star Alums quickly made Crown our home team. Watching them take that tiny bit of DNA and evolve into a new and wonderful ways. And it time watching their alums spread their DNA to future units will be fulfilling. Circle of (drum corps) Life.

It has gone both ways. In 2010 the Star Alumni corps that played at SemiFinals proudly conained not only former members of Star of Indiana in it's many forms, but also some new new gen Stars in the form of members of the Blue Stars, Crown, and Star United Minicorps. It was a Blast to share that experience with them.

Edited by mchromik
  • Like 1

I hope Crown doesn't similarly follow the path of Star of Indiana to decide to leave DCI just as they came up through the ranks of the competition and finally reached the top.This would be a similarity that would not be such a good thing at all. Too many once great Drum Corps have come and gone similar to Star, that few want to see another Drum Corps follow this similar unfortunate path in the end. Here's hoping that Crown's DCI future is different than Star's now that they have attained a DCI first place.

Edited by BRASSO