What if DCI created a new category for "band" instruments

In the 1999 pre-season, DCI established a band division. No one entered it. At the time, there had been a couple of groups like Northern Lights and Regina Lions who had already been touring in parallel with the DCI tour, and yet they did not sign up either.

How come ?

I can think of three reasons why this might not work:

1. Visual consistency. There's something special that happens when a horn line forms a company front or a simple arc. It becomes a single object. The brain is tricked into viewing those performers as one big shape. That is largely because they all look the same, and they all have a shiny bit on top.

2. Shock and awe. Drum corps sounds incredibly loud in a way that undoubtedly exceeds the actual volume. The unity of tone across the instruments, and the association of that consistent sound with the visuals (#1 above) allows drum corps to max out the adrenaline in the audience. That's why they play such scary music; it's all about the fight-or-flight response. Now, woodwinds and strings soloists in the pit wouldn't hurt this effect, but if you put them in the line it will interfere with that drum corps impact.

3. Judging accuracy. Brass judges are experienced brass teachers. That's why nobody ever says, "Well, this judge didn't understand my instrument, so oh, well." The more instruments you have, the more that will happen.

Despite all the above, I would love to see a violin line. In part because marching bands don't have them! And they're classy. Maybe just count them in GE, and see what happens... "And the furious Phantom Regiment violin line during Ride of the Valkyries..." Come ON people... :wow:

I absolutely love the sound a great woodwind sound adds to the field, but at the same time I would dread being an instructor trying to get my clarinet section back from a reed changing break because the temperature and humidity changed to the 10th time in the last hour. I say let the BOD allow any wind instrument they want on the field, but you would also need to increase membership to 250 or something like that in order to have a truly viable woodwind section.

I think this rule change would be great in that it would open up so many opportunities for soloists and small ensembles. Imagine if BD went back to playing jazz and actually featured a sax soli in the show.

We forget that at one time, the Boston area had circuits that included bands. Bands and drum corps competed in the same shows, often shared instructors and arrangers, and many of the bands and drum corps had close connections. While none of the bands were at the same level as 27th, BAC, or North Star, many of the bands had better musicians since every kid in a band could read music which was not the case with all drum corps, but the attraction at shows was always the drum corps and many kids who marched in bands made the switch to drum corps. I can't say I remember it being the other way around.

This is an accurate assessment of this 2 division format that Massachusetts once had. The Drum Corps division was self explanatory in terms of instrumentation, whereas the Band division was pretty much an anything goes division where the marching competing Bands in competition utilized saxophones, flutes, clarinets, and all manner of woodwinds and so forth. Since many of these Bands had Drum Corps instructors, the Bands were all Drum Corps style marching Bands ( ie, no high stepping Ohio State style bands, for example ). The 2 divisions competed at the same show, and with the same set of judges. They came together at retreat when scores were announced in each division.One ticket price allowed entry by fans to watch both divisions perform on the same field. While its true that on the whole the musicianship was better with these Bands in terms of musician talent ( this circuit's Bands had the best non college marching bands in N.E, by far at the time), it was unmistakably clear that it was the Drum Corps division that was the biggest draw for the eastern Massachusetts area public. Average attendance was approx. 5-6,000 for each of the circuit's dozen or so local area shows., a healthy turnout at each. Once a year this circuit brought in other national Drum Corps ( and called the show " The CYO Nationals" ) to supplement the local circuit Drum Corps competitors. ( they did not utilize their circuit's Bands for this 1 show), and this show, usually at Boston College's Alumni Stadium, typically averaged between 16,000- 22, 000 for this local Drum Corps competition show each year in this circuit...... So yes, I do believe that its possible to have a separate division for Drum Corps and another one for an anything goes performance Band division that can utilize the flutes, saxophones, clarinets, guitars, etc and any other instrumentatiion for that matter that any musical group in competition wants to utilize. Its not an impossibility at all. Its already been done in a 2 division format successfuly, and in which others on here are suggesting we bring back. This 2 division format should have been properly promoted, marketed, financed, etc decades ago by DCI in my opinion. I have no idea if it makes practical, doable sense anymore however, But I would support such initiation efforts if it was ever proposed by DCI.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

This 2 division format should have been properly promoted, marketed, financed, etc decades ago by DCI in my opinion. I have no idea if it makes practical, doable sense anymore however, But I would support such initiation efforts if it was ever proposed by DCI.

Seems like there are many quality bands around the country that wouldn't have to travel too far for one of the dozens of DCI shows. The logistics of having bands competing during the Summer would need to be worked out. Would they become private organizations in the Summer, then the mm go back to their HS/College in August, or stay in HS/College mode year round? The politics and egos of DCI and BOA, or others, might slow the implementation of this concept.

Seems like there are many quality bands around the country that wouldn't have to travel too far for one of the dozens of DCI shows. The logistics of having bands competing during the Summer would need to be worked out. Would they become private organizations in the Summer, then the mm go back to their HS/College in August, or stay in HS/College mode year round? The politics and egos of DCI and BOA, or others, might slow the implementation of this concept.

I agree that for a host of reasons ( some here you mentioned ) it might just be too late now to have a 2 tier division of competing Drum Corps and another for performance Bands.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree that it's a slippery slope, but not if the two divisions are treated as totally separate forms of competition. As painful as it might be to the traditionalist among us (myself included), if we were to bring in outside businesspeople to look at the situation, I suspect that they'd say that DCI should be exploring the possibility of having BOA join up in hosting a summer band circuit that could share the DCI summer schedule, and have DCI Finals week encompass both the summer band and the drum corps championships.

BOA serves the scholastic marching band activity, where I suspect there is insufficient interest in summer events to merit BOA attention.

George Hopkins could turn Cadets into a very good marching band, and still be seen on Saturday night mixed in with the drum corps. Were that offered to him and whoever else wanted to avail themselves of the band option, it'd be a real test of his seriousness. Would he be happy being the DCI "Band Champion" if there's a separate "Drum Corps Champion"?

Only one way to find out.

On what basis would Saturday night performance slots be awarded in your scenario?

I would dread being an instructor trying to get my clarinet section back from a reed changing break because the temperature and humidity changed to the 10th time in the last hour.

I think this rule change would be great in that it would open up so many opportunities for soloists and small ensembles. Imagine if BD went back to playing jazz and actually featured a sax soli in the show.

That's why I'm pretty sure woodwind instruments will likely never be legalized in DCI as a "full-time" type of instrument. Perhaps for soloist stuff, but the hassles of woodwind upkeep are enormous, and would make traveling/rehearsing/performing outdoors a major deal, fraught with a plethora of issues.

I agree that hearing a jazzy show w/sax soli would be great, or a great double reed soloist or something: and maybe that will happen someday. But I doubt DCI staffers/designers want to create the hassle of full instrumentation (maybe some do, but I doubt the majority do - there is some upside, with a LOT of downside).

I've said, back when I came in these rooms under another screen name, That these people who want "anything goes" should form MBI (Marching Band International). Just make up a whole new thing. Heck I would even go to some shows. Have it become just as awesome as DCI but leave DCI to DCI and MBI to MBI.

• Like 2