DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

...oh it'll be OK...Sousaphones won't really supersede the "contra" design (although a line of HELICONS, as suggested by Zig, would be, uh, hellacious!) Trombones will be a big deal because of the *voice* and there are a few FINE sounding three valve 'bones out there that would totally change the sound of "modern" hornlines...I think because of drill considerations, the sliders may stay on the sidelines...AFA french horns, unless they bring back the olde bell front frenchie (what? Go BACK in time?) they're in the pit and a wonderful addition...so, everything is still bell-front and the look of corps won't change...I'm fine with it...

Fwiw, Yamaha, Dynasty, King, Kanstul, Jupiter...all have marching french horns in production today...

http://www.wwbw.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&src=marching%20french%20horn

Also, to the pearl-clutchers that are "leaving" DCI over this: why didn't you leave when electronics were implemented? That was more of a fundamental change. This is just a minor addition.

I agree. And it would be great if DCI decided to eliminate electronics.

I did. Nowadays I stop by dcp for the schadenfreude.

I find that very odd and almost sad, but I suppose that's not the worst way a man can spend his time on the internet.

I won't argue with you over taste. At least you're consistent with where you drew the line (addition of electronics).

I just want to know why there's people on here that are willing to tolerate electronics, but poop their pants at the mere mention of "trombone."

Q: What is the difference between a French horn section and a '57 Chevy?
A: You can tune a '57 Chevy.

Q: What do you get when you cross a French Horn player and a goalpost?
A: A goalpost that can't march.

Q: What is the difference between a squirrel and a French horn player in the back of a taxi?
A: The squirrel is probably going to a gig.

Q: What is the range of a French Horn?
A: About 35 yards if you chuck it real hard!!!!!!!!!

Q: What's a similarity between playing a French horn solo and wetting your pants?
A: Both give you a warm feeling but no one else cares.

Q: How can you tell that a kid on a playground is a trombonist's kid?
A: He can't swing and he complains about the slide.

Q: How many trombone players does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Only one, but he'll spend half an hour trying to figure out what position he needs to be in.

Q: What is the dynamic range of a bass trombone?
A: On or off.

Q: How do you save a trombonist from drowning?
A: Take your foot off their head.

Q: How do you make a trombone sound better?
A: Run it over with a lawnmower.

Q: What kind of calender does a trombonist use for his gigs?
A: Year-at-a-Glance

Q: Why do people play trombone?
A: Because they can't move their fingers and read music at the same time.

Q: What's the difference between a trombone section and a saxophone section?
A: The trombones weren't meant to sound like two cats in a fight, but they do.

Q: How many trombone players does it take to pave a driveway?
A: One, if you spread him really thin.

Q: What do you call a pretty woman on a trombonist's arm?
A: A tattoo.

Q: What's the difference between a trombonist and a mouse?
A: The mouse actually gets some attention.

Q: How can you make a trombone player's car more aerodynamic?
A: Take off the pizza sign!

Q: Why do trombonists march while playing?
A: To get away from that awful sound!

Q:How do you get a trombone player to play slower?
A: Put a page of music in front of him.

Q: How do you get him to stop completely?
A: Put notes on the page.

Yes, and considering that I had to re-up my Friends membership and buy tickets before Dec 31st, I'm already on the hook for this season. A big incentive in my giving it a year to see how I like it but you can be da_n sure that next year, they better be willing to accept my membership, without losing any benefits, after the rules congress in Feb, 2015.

My bigger issue is the _kid. After 13 seasons of following me around doing drum corps, he's 10 months from his first try out. He didn't really respond much to the all-brass news, but he then said "One more nail and I'm out. Just summer marching band then. It may then be bands on steroids, but it's still bands. I do that in the fall."

He's been involved long enough to know his opinions don't have to match mine. I can drop my membership and still support him financially to march. But I might spend more time at home or getting a hotdog at the stadium.

DCPfanatic, Sure you already know your son will be welcomed to a DCA corps with open arms...and you can come too :)

Mic'd brass just doesn't sound right :(

No it does not does it??

As a future marcher, this will probably dampen my enthusiasm when I see it on the field. I just can't see this move having any positive effect on the drum corps experience, both on the field and in the stands. I'm keeping an open mind for now, but I wouldn't be suprised if this decision (and any more to come that are like it) drive DCI into the ground. It's a sad thing to see; I've been around drum corps since I was smart enough to say "for as long as I can remember."

I was marching when amplification was introduced.

Hated it.

The activity was no longer 100 percent acoustic. The equipment sucked. Instructors didn't know how to set it up properly, and the initial shows suffered because of it.

Today: I love it. The activity grew up because of it. There's still kinks and stuff I don't like, but it's getting better.

Adding trombones and French horns won't fundamentally change anything. Like you, I'm keeping an open mind, but I'm pretty optimistic.