DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

No,

As someone who has played all three instruments, a trombone is the brightest, then a baritone, then a euph. No, there were already tromboniums in the corps chior.

Also, there were already marching french horns available, as many here have played those in the past too. Strange rule passing if you ask me.

As a Low Brass Man, spot on in regards to the timbre.

The thing is, the Marching French horns- waaaaal.... there are issues. The old Getzen French horns are pretty much thought of as wall decorations because they're so awful. Only two guys were ever thought of as able to actually make real music on them, Pepe Notaro, and, if you're lucky enough to hear Danny Fitzpatrick when he gets his out for fun. Two legends. The newer ones, arguably, the French horn mouthpiece is a bit risky for field use, small diameter, sharp rim, with the kinds of physical challenges in modern visual design, better off with a Mello/trumpet style mouthpiece I'd think.

The Trombonium bugles were used for like one month of one season IIRC around 1979-1981 and ditched by 27 and Madison IIRC.

King makes the marching Flugabones which aren't bad- but, my guess is they're eschewed by the DCI units because they just can't project broadly like a Bari or Euphonium can. More piercing, less sweet and deep.

Regarding an earlier post, yeah for some of the Kenton solos, you'd prefer a Trombone to get that "feel" right, though one of my old comrades who plays T-Bone professionally could always get that sound on his old King Bari.

The online petition has over 2,4000 signatures already (not that it'll do any good).

Link?

I'd like to see how well the kids would react when asked by the staff for one of them to be the trombone soloist. How will they act if someone in the corps auditions for the spot? Will any of them audition at all for fear of being shunned?

If any of the lead baris at Westshore from 1979 to 1983 would have been asked just that, 4 of us would have gladly taken a crack at it. Kind of a crazy question. 3 of us were College Trombone majors and I was crosstrained from Euphonium by a great private teacher and can fake the slide pretty good myself. :satisfied:

Regarding an earlier post, yeah for some of the Kenton solos, you'd prefer a Trombone to get that "feel" right, though one of my old comrades who plays T-Bone professionally could always get that sound on his old King Bari.

I know a lot of really talented Bari players that are not necessarily professional bone players that can mimic slide and the 'bone" sounds on a bari. Not that hard if you have talent.

As to the French Horn debate I love the sound of the French Horn. I even like the sound of a marching french horn when you have some players with the chops and the dedication to play it to the level of dedication it deserves. Looking back as some of the corps that used marching french horns effectively some of those charts would not come off as strong as it would had it not been for the french horn voice.

What I would really like to see is a major manufacture of instruments come up with a quality marching french horn with better slotting and better intonation.

As for the concert French Horn on the Drum and Bugle corps field? "The assimilation is almost complete" to BOA.

Edited by camel lips

I know a lot of really talented Bari players that are not necessarily professional bone players that can mimic slide and the 'bone" sounds on a bari. Not that hard if you have talent.

As to the French Horn debate I love the sound of the French Horn. I even like the sound of a marching french horn when you have some players with the chops and the dedication to play it to the level of dedication it deserves. Looking back as some of the corps that used marching french horns effectively some of those charts would not come off as strong as it would had it not been for the french horn voice.

What I would really like to see is a major manufacture of instruments come up with a quality marching french horn with better slotting and better intonation.

As for the concert French Horn on the Drum and Bugle corps field? "The assimilation is almost complete" to BOA.

Blue Devils baritones mimicked the slide in"Channel One Suite" way back in 1976, on valve-rotor G bugles no less!

• Like 1

Seperate classes for different rules and instrumentation. More competition battles for the top and this will mean some corps can stay as they wish without having to "follow" the others whether they want to (or can afford to)

Saw on Facebook that 17 corps voted for the rule change. Which corps exactly would remain in this "separate" division?

-Mike

• Like 1

Yup. You are right. The activity is way healthier now.

At least it's still alive. Can you honestly say the activity would have survived without adding the extra valves or the key switch?

Too bad Madison didn't fold a few years ago...now we have to deal with this crap.

Dude, what the hell?