DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

You sound like a political pundit... geez! The way your discussing this is just excruciating to read. Facts without any context what so ever like DCI and corps are in this little bubble and that the only thing that effects corps is DCI. when you say "we have lost more fans, more annual marchers, more corps, under DCI's watch than any other time of history" it's incredibly misleading as it infers causation where there is really only correlation.

DCI changes only had a "correlation" to the decline of numbers of fans, participant numbers, Corps, fans, loss of TV exposure,etc with the changes they created,proposed, implemented ? They were just bystanders in it all ? No " causation " ? Not responsible ? For any of it ? They had only a casual " correlation " with the decline ?... hmnn.. I don't think so. We just disagree on this.. but no bigdeal.

Edited by BRASSO

These men, broke the rules, went against the way it was, threw away the archaic rules because it didnt benefit their corps and decided THEY alone would decide what they would or wouldnt do.

Maybe you know where you are going with this and what you mean with this, but I don't have a clue what you mean when you are saying the handful of the early creators and the founders of DCI were apparently law breakers, rule breakers, and selfish, dictatorial, self absorbed people. What the H are you talking about ? Have you been into the liquor cabinet tonite perhaps ? Just askin'.

Edited by BRASSO

DCI changes only had a "correlation" to the decline of numbers of fans, participant numbers, Corps, fans, loss of TV exposure,etc with the changes they created,proposed, implemented ? They were just bystanders in it all ? Caused nothing ?

No, they spent countless, thankless, low-paid hours promoting the activity to anyone that would listen. They tirelessly did whatever they could to keep some poorly-run organizations afloat, worked in the interests of the member corps (which they are responsible for helping succeed), and tried to staunch the effects of the decline in interest and priority on music education over the years had on the activity.

More than anything, I'm tired of the tinfoil hat crowd trying to accuse DCI of padding coffers and sitting in an ivory tower, making decisions in their personal interests rather than the interests of the activity. Here's what I know about DCI as an organization, and of most of the staff and administration of member corps: they care about the experience of the marching members, and that includes the growth and sustainability of the activity so that countless students can continue to participate. The put in long hours for very little (or NO) money because they love drum corps, they love music education and they want to see it succeed.

If you care about young people, music and this activity, you'll get off the high horse and support it as it grows and changes - something it has done and will continue to do for the duration of its existence. Drum corps is a living, breathing entity. It's not a historical record - we have DVDs for that. I recommend you buy them and support DCI and the growth of the activity so that others may enjoy it in the future.

• Like 3

So if I understand you correctly, you're predicting that they'll be no 76 trombones in the future ?

Even bands do not use concert french horns very often, outside of solo/small ensemble features, where they can add a great moment to a show. Some bands do use trombones, but given the visual demands in DCI, my guess is that you won't be seeing much in the way of marching full trombone sections. Sousas? Possibly, but IMO probably not.

• Like 1

Maybe you know where you are going with this and what you mean with this, but I don't have a clue what you mean when you are saying the handful of the early creators and the founders of DCI were apparently law breakers, rule breakers, and selfish dictatorial, self absorbed people. What the H are you talking about ?

post 309.....asked about Royer and what would he might have done today etc etc.....who said they were selfish and dictatorial ( not me ) but they did do what they felt was necessary at the time...was it all good? probably not..was it necessary...well they sure thought so and IMO even maybe with some bad decisions...we wouldnt even have an activity today if it stayed the way it was PRE... DCI...HELL the legions and vfw's and CYOs couldnt even sustain themselves

The key to getting a person interested in anything is to MARKET to them. MARKETING is the major thing that gets people interested in something. Marketing is probably the major problem with Drum Corps.

• Like 2

This is starting to remind me of pre industrial revolution Europe when they would burn anything that wasn't Catholic texts........

• Like 4

I know that I will NEVER want to hear a crappy sousaphone played on a drum corps field. EVER.

Nobody wants to hear a crappy sousaphone, but there are some wonderful instruments out there. Not all of them are lousy fiberglass instruments.