What do you call a Drum Corps with Trombones and French Horns?

In NanciDs history blog http://historical-dr...s.blogspot.com/ there are some interesting articles about adding the Contra Bass voice in DC.

Some think it makes DC too much like band..... difference from today of course being at least the Contras had the same valve set up as the other horns.

It's still drum corps. Same way it's been ever since we stopped using actual bugles.

And when was that? 1811?

And when was that? 1811?

When did they start putting rotors on the competitive bugles for our uses? After the first War I'm assuming. Probably still before we hit the football field for the first time.

When did they start putting rotors on the competitive bugles for our uses? After the first War I'm assuming. Probably still before we hit the football field for the first time.

Hoo boy... and my wife wonders why I'm not shoveling the driveway more.

Going with what I've read about 1919-now.....

1919 - Army surplus valveless bugles

late 1920s - first (horizontal) valve added

post WWII - sop players using steel wool to be able to move the tuning slide to get 2nd valve notes

late 50s/early 60s (not sure) rotor used on place of the slide

late 70s first 2v to replace piston/rotor

lost track of 3v starting up.....

First few American Legion Nationals were parade competitions. First "field show" about 1926.

OK, looking for Boys of 76 website and either can't find it or it is gone.... great reference for between the wars....

lost track of 3v starting up.....

I think it was 90 or 91 when the three valve horns first came into play. Although not everyone adopted right away, Star was on 2 valve horns when they left after 93

JimF has the more recent history, but as per my other posts, "actual bugles", as you put it, have included keyed instruments for at least 213 years now. So until this weekend, every brass instrument approved for use in DCI has in fact been a bugle.

I call it the Madison scouts

And probably many other corps.

Just because someone calls something by a name, doesn't mean it's a fact.

Just like when Old Navy sells black khakis, yet khaki is a color. That makes sense.

But I like that it's french horns and trombones ruining things, but not narration, electronics, dance, grounded pits, 3 valves, etc.

Just because its called Drum Corps dosent make it so. Hmmm. I say we just pre record all the shows and do play back over the amps and speakers. I mean all the big stars in entertainment do it.