Just a friendly reminder of why you ACTUALLY love this activity...

But the point is ... not for those kids in the Cadets video. They got it from drum corps. For whatever reason, they did not get it from football. They did not get it from robotics team. And while it may have been a part of it, they did not get it from marching band. For thousands, DCI is the place they find it. And that is was makes it special.

It may be OT, but I would go further and say that there does seem to be a real difference between the DCI videos I've seen (including the ones shown here) vs. the band video.

Specifically, there's way more criticism in the band video than I've ever seen in a DCI video. In DCI there seems to be a much better balance between criticism and positive motivation and expectation. A healthy dollop of criticism is combined with a big plate of high expectation and encouragement.

The BOA video seems much more like sports training clips in which there is a high percentage of criticism. But maybe that's the impression they wanted to give in the video. Also it's high school vs. mostly college kids in the Cadets, which may make some difference.

But I suspect it's more about being football minded than performing arts minded. As if to say "We treat the band just as tough as you treat the football team."

Can anyone clarify this?

...and why it has nothing to do with instrumentation.

It's a nice emotional appeal, but disregarding the what and the how is irresponsible and makes for a less compelling argument.

It's a great video, but your premise is disingenous. There are a million and one activites where you can have moments like that. Ultimately it's the product on the field that draws us in and keeps us coming back. It really is all about the show.

That said I'm fine with this particular rule change.

Agreed (except for the last statement).

Edited by chaos001

I love drum corps for a myriad of reasons....but instrumentation is one of them.

It may be OT, but I would go further and say that there does seem to be a real difference between the DCI videos I've seen (including the ones shown here) vs. the band video.

Specifically, there's way more criticism in the band video than I've ever seen in a DCI video. In DCI there seems to be a much better balance between criticism and positive motivation and expectation. A healthy dollop of criticism is combined with a big plate of high expectation and encouragement.

The BOA video seems much more like sports training clips in which there is a high percentage of criticism. But maybe that's the impression they wanted to give in the video. Also it's high school vs. mostly college kids in the Cadets, which may make some difference.

But I suspect it's more about being football minded than performing arts minded. As if to say "We treat the band just as tough as you treat the football team."

Can anyone clarify this?

My experience is that there is more criticism needed in band, because there is more to criticize and the members are less self critical

nah.

a few trombones standing on the field isn't going to stop me from enjoying this summer's programs.

Trombones running at the typical DCI velocity and close pattern formations... while playing.. now that might prove interesting to watch.. especially at early season shows, no matter one's level of support or non support for these. For this reason alone, my guess, these trombones will be played in a selective " park and bark " standing still mode. At least initially anyway.But who really knows.. nobody does... as we're about to swim in unchartered marching band waters now.

Edited by BRASSO

Trombones running at the typical DCI velocity and close pattern formations... while playing.. now that might prove interesting to watch.. especially at early season shows, no matter one's level of support or non support for these. For this reason alone, my guess, these trombones will be played in a selective " park and bark " standing still mode. At least initially anyway.But who really knows.. nobody does... as we're about to swim in unchartered marching band waters now.

ive seen some HS bands literally running at Cadet speed..tough..yes...clumbsy in the beginning..for sure....did they do it....yepp

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

My experience is that there is more criticism needed in band, because there is more to criticize and the members are less self critical

That's interesting. In a drum corps, everybody is committed to spending their entire summer vacation training and performing. Many people in band would be committed, so to speak, but not all. If a band/corps is only as strong as it's weakest link, then the band instructors would have to push hard to strengthen the weak links.

Still, the criticism in the band video seems to be aimed at everybody. I imagine that one of the reasons for a band kid to join a corps is because everyone is treated better (they do say "They treat us like adults" so maybe that's what they mean.)