Just a friendly reminder of why you ACTUALLY love this activity...

...and why it has nothing to do with instrumentation.

Oh Charlie,

All of these things are wonderful. DCI is a wonderful experience, and yes those lessons are important.

They're not the defining thing that makes drum corps, drum corps. It was the instrumentation for me.

One band, one sound. Team work. Yes, important life lesson. Not unique to DCI though.

I bet I can come up with more inspirational team videos in other activities...

I was trying to not make this about trombones, but obviously that was not the intent of the OP, as he was trying to point out the insignificance of instrumentation for a reason. My question is therefore simple. Doesn't this statement include woodwinds, strings, pre-recorded music with just dancers, everything? Isn't that really what the difference of opinion is? Where to set the boundaries and why? I assume the OP is ok with all instruments being allowed? Guardling, as a major positive thinker in this discussion, how about you? I'm pretty sure you said you draw the line there, but I might be mistaken? If so, why do you draw the line at woodwinds and not trombones? No one can possibly think that only brass players can have this type of experience, and not woodwind and string musicians, right?

Hi Truman...well now that YOU asked...lol.....actually what I meant is I didnt care for woodwinds and IF I didnt like it when or if it is implemented I would decide then IF i enjoyed still what was being put out there...Would I still look at it with an open mind? YES...do I think I would embrace it.? I dont think so but wouldn't make a judgement call like that before even seeing or hearing it 1st. Often ( and I have been guilty of this also ) we make a big hoopla out of something, work ourselves up only to change our minds later..it happens alot..not always but alot. takes up to much energy....at least I try to not let it affect me...but im not always successful at it....lol

Hi Truman...well now that YOU asked...lol.....actually what I meant is I didnt care for woodwinds and IF I didnt like it when or if it is implemented I would decide then IF i enjoyed still what was being put out there...Would I still look at it with an open mind? YES...do I think I would embrace it.? I dont think so but wouldn't make a judgement call like that before even seeing or hearing it 1st. Often ( and I have been guilty of this also ) we make a big hoopla out of something, work ourselves up only to change our minds later..it happens alot..not always but alot. takes up to much energy....at least I try to not let it affect me...but im not always successful at it....lol

Thanks! I totally get that. I also think that we all share the same fear of not liking whatever change comes next, especially for something that we dearly love. I suppose everyone deals with that fear differently. As I get older, I keep wishing change would slow down a bit, especially when I see some of the problems that so called "advancement" can cause. I do think we might also differ in how we will handle things if we ever find find out that we don't enjoy what is on the field enough to stop going. I will be really p##### if anybody ever screws it up that bad, and don't think I'll go away "quietly". I sincerely hope you can avoid having to ever face not enjoying drum corps in your lifetime, whatever it becomes.

they're not missing the point. they're saying the point just doesn't matter to them.

No. This point that you believe someone has posted is not found anywhere on DCP to my knowledge. I've looked but havn't observed any such sentiment expressed by anyone. Thus, your response to this seems completely baseless and as a result, pointless to me frankly.

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks! I totally get that. I also think that we all share the same fear of not liking whatever change comes next, especially for something that we dearly love. I suppose everyone deals with that fear differently. As I get older, I keep wishing change would slow down a bit, especially when I see some of the problems that so called "advancement" can cause. I do think we might also differ in how we will handle things if we ever find find out that we don't enjoy what is on the field enough to stop going. I will be really p##### if anybody ever screws it up that bad, and don't think I'll go away "quietly". I sincerely hope you can avoid having to ever face not enjoying drum corps in your lifetime, whatever it becomes.

I agree.....I dont think I would walk away , not entirely BUT does everyone at one time or another have enough? I think so, some it takes a very long time others not so long..Often I'm not convinced its because of alot of changes. I have a drum corps family that dates back to the late 1940s , Uncles, father, grandfather cousins, etc etc.ALL with very different opinions on the activity and many dont go anymore because of change BUT also for many other reasons they never mention. Ive seen so many posters say what they hate and leaving ( which many never do ) then in the next breath they say life got in the way..Well thats a good reason and happens to alot of us...so just say that , dont blame it on a bunch of other stuff. OR maybe thats just easier to accept.

I have gone through lots of change in the activity to this day and feel my longevity in the activity and contributions are due to having a very open mind about NEW, respecting the past as I was a part of it also BUT not letting it hold me back..JMO

It's a great video, but your premise is disingenous. There are a million and one activites where you can have moments like that. Ultimately it's the product on the field that draws us in and keeps us coming back. It really is all about the show.

That said I'm fine with this particular rule change.

Exactly. So there is no reason at all to change what dci corps currently use for instrumention. Shoot...they could even roll back a few instrumentation changes and still support the idea that the experience has nothing to do with instrumentation. I would be fine with that. Take us back to the instrumentation of 2003....there's a good spot IMO....

No. This point that you believe someone has posted is not found anywhere on DCP to my knowledge. I've looked but havn't observed any such sentiment expressed by anyone. Thus, your response to this seems completely baseless and as a result, pointless to me frankly.

It's everywhere you look on DCP. Guess you just can't see it.

It's all in how you look at the activity. Is it defined by instrumentation? Or is it defined by the on-field product? Or is it defined by the experience?

Everyone has different answers to those questions.

Personally I think the OP in this thread nailed it.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Exactly. So there is no reason at all to change what dci corps currently use for instrumention. Shoot...they could even roll back a few instrumentation changes and still support the idea that the experience has nothing to do with instrumentation. I would be fine with that. Take us back to the instrumentation of 2003....there's a good spot IMO....

youre picking a choosing a time acceptable to yourself...........which is fine........BUT your acceptable time may not be anothers,...could be the 1990s 80s or whatever...so when you say no reason to change...according to who and when.....................thats where the problem comes into play in this activity decade to decade change to change means very different things to different people.........................closed minds dont help any issue or does it add to letting the activity move on BUT also change just to change doesnt help also.....I dont believe though that ANY change EVER was done just to change. I think people do things thinking it was for the better...now was it always for the better? of course not

I enjoyed the video and have stated in other posts that the one thing that has not changed is the camaraderie, sense of pride, hard work, etc. However, if we are being fair, other activities do provide the same sense of pride and accomplishment. That being said, what I do think this video shows that no one does it quite like drum corps does!

Edited by Tim K