The 2012 uniforms were fine, but the guard uniforms didn't seem to fit the show for me.

My take on the 2013 hats is that they were black holes containing information (the chalk equations inside them). I don't pretend to know how it works though...

I loved everything about the uniforms in 2013. What they do in 2014 will depend on the show idea, in particular whether it will be weird or crowd-pleasing. Either way is ok with me; they have some of the most interesting show ideas in DCI right now. Quirky and thought provoking. They were the talk of DCP last year and will probably be again this year.

• Like 1

As to whether Crown would win wearing 2012's uniform: I would like to think yes but the answer could be no. One of the criticisms Crown faced in 2012 as that the show needed more color. The 2013 uniforms were colorful.

I understand that some uniforms add color to a show that might need it, and that we all have different tastes on what we like and don't like in uniforms.. but Man, I hope uniforms arn't having any effect on scores and placements. Personally, I don't think the judges are factoring in uniforms into their scores. I hope they arn't. I just don't see uniforms as something that should be factored into the scores and placements at all by the judges. Color is certainly important to the visual, but there are a multitude of ways ( flags, banners, props, etc ) quite apart from the uniforms where visual staff can add the color they believe will bring out such colors that they believe might be needed for the show.

Edited by BRASSO

Uniforms can have a big affect on perceived cleanliness in a visual program. Why do you think there are so few corps in light colored pants? Hard to keep clean on tour, and hard to get the marchers clean enough with the light color.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Carolina Crown's shakos hollow, as in, there was no top to the hat? I wonder what the members thought about them because in theory that sounds incredible. Especially during those 110 degree performances.

Yes--they were essentially shaped tubes. On the inside were the Einstein equations that also appeared on the bass drum heads and the guard unis.

I understand that some uniforms add color to a show that might need it, and that we all have different tastes on what we like and don't like in uniforms.. but Man, I hope uniforms arn't having any effect on scores and placements. Personally, I don't think the judges are factoring in uniforms into their scores. I hope they arn't. I just don't see uniforms as something that should be factored into the scores and placements at all by the judges. Color is certainly important to the visual, but there are a multitude of ways ( flags, banners, props, etc ) quite apart from the uniforms where visual staff can add the color they believe will bring out such colors that they believe might be needed for the show.

Yeah, I would hope the effect of the uniform on the score would be minimal. It should be the kids on the field getting judged, not the grownups making decisions during the winter.

Presumably we're talking about GE visual, which is the area of greatest confusion and controversy anyway. I bet the uniforms do count, it's just a question of whether they intentionally count, intentionally do not count but affect the score unconsciously (best case scenario, IMO), or if it is up to the judge's discretion (i.e. unstated).

Either way is ok with me; they have some of the most interesting show ideas in DCI right now. Quirky and thought provoking. They were the talk of DCP last year and will probably be again this year.

Crown's 2013 show wasn't by favorite Crown show, as I can think of 4 others in previous years I liked better from them. But I do agree with you that their recent shows are very show design creative , quirky and thought provoking. Crown has rarely ever , if at all, ever put out a boring show, imo... and this goes back almost to their first foray into the World Class Division.

I absolutely loved their 2013 show (except for "two lovers...") - it's the first championship show I can hum along with all of the tunes since ... well, probably Cavaliers in 2004.

I trust 'em to do something equally cool this year, both in visual and music.

Mike

Which is why SCV no longer wears white bucks.

I hated my white bucks when I marched BAC...They don't use them either anymore!