Cause and Effect?

Yes and no. At the end of the day, no matter how good a corps is, one drum corps cannot directly prevent another drum corps from being better. There is no defense in drum corps.

True; but direct competition like what exists in drum corps does apply to many other athletic competitions which have no form of 'defense' such as Gymnastics, Halfpipe, Freestyle, Figure Skating, Competitive Cheerleading, ...

True; but direct competition like what exists in drum corps does apply to many other athletic competitions which have no form of 'defense' such as Gymnastics, Halfpipe, Freestyle, Figure Skating, Competitive Cheerleading, ...

Similar in the nature of adjudication in some respects, but not the same in terms of the fundamental nature of what those things are and what drum corps is due to the whole live musical performance thing. And yes I do believe it makes a huge difference. Around and around we go. We've covered this already. You and I will simply not agree on this. Let's move on.

• Like 1

brass Joe? or the other Joe :shutup: :yin-yang: :sarcasm: ......lol............now you dont know IF I am there do ya.......lol :shutup:.......DUDE!....lol

don't really care. I'll ask next week when I see them LOL DUDE! :tounge2:

As usual, a poorly-thought-out and inaccurate sports analogy that falls flat on it's face.

Just a few points that are immediately obvious...

I didn't say 'teams design their playbooks not for audiences" -- it was '"Corps design shows not just for audiences but for those performers." Your change completey alters the meaning of my sentence.

Basketball is not a performing art.

Playbooks are not musical scores.

Playbooks ARE written to reflect the talent and abilities of the performers (as well as the current "state of basketball" ie how the game is played now versus in a different era).

Basketball teams compete directly (head-to-head) against their competitors.

If you don't think basketball (and the NCAA) have changed since 1980, I might just be forced to post that picture. Again.

don't you have a website to maintain?

LOL

Competition is Competition; Entertainment is Entertainment; and Figure Skating, Drum Corps, Basketball, Football, Competitive Cheerleading, ad infinitum have both entertainment and physical competitive aspects deeply entrenched in their activities.  People are entertained by the dunking and ally-oops in Basketball, the musical sounds in Drum Corps, and the almost gravity defying leaps in Figure Skating; and while entertainment of the ‘immaculate reception’ in Football may not be musical in nature the entertainment garnered was just as aesthetic as the musical entertainment garnered in drum corps.  The competitive nature, just like the entertainment nature, is just as intense in Drum Corps as that within all other physically demanding contests.  And more to the point, just because Drum Corps has a musical element does not change that fact.

people are also entertained by watching a guy go thru 20 women to see who he'll marry

people are also entertained by watching people do stuff like they do on jackass.

people are entertained by late night tv

entertainment cannot be universally defined Stu. You keep trying, but you keep failing

• Like 2

I far from take myself seriously; however calling someone an a** and then posting a photo of the rear-end of a horse certainly is a personal attack, not humor.

first off, it's really an attack, hit the report button.

second, i laughed like hell

don't really care. I'll ask next week when I see them LOL DUDE! :tounge2:

sometimes the 300 staff arent in on it all..if ya know what I mean ....lol...im sure you do.....either way..I might agree that last year GREAT..this year...hmmmm we shall see...more of this moving on?....maybe in another 5 or 6 years..ok.......hey you teachin this summer?...pm me

Edited by GUARDLING

people are also entertained by watching a guy go thru 20 women to see who he'll marry

people are also entertained by watching people do stuff like they do on jackass.

people are entertained by late night tv

entertainment cannot be universally defined Stu. You keep trying, but you keep failing

I agree; but activities which combine the criteria of being athletic in nature, artistic in nature, entertaining in nature, and subjectively evaluated by judges within a competitive environment, can be classified in the same manner; and these include Olympic Figure Skating, WGI Winter Drum Line, Olympic Halfpipe Snowboarding, National Cheerleading Association, WGI Winter Guard, Olympic Freestyle Skiing, Drum Corps International, as well as many other similar activities which have all of those same aspects. One can say that DCI and WGI Winter Drum Line are in a unique sub-set within that list because they use live music, but one can also say that National Competitive Cheerleading is also a unique sub-set because it is the only one on the list which utilizes Cheers. Nevertheless, each and every activity on that list fit the criteria of being athletic in nature, artistic in nature, entertaining in nature, and subjectively evaluated by judges within a competitive environment which make them all a form of, wait for it.......... sport. :doh:

Edited by Stu

No.

He wasn't.

He was called a horse's posterior (which is quite distinct from just plain old posterior). If you're going to quote, please quote accurately.

First, I didn't quote.

Second, just as all drum corps are marching bands but not all marching bands are drum corps...