Best Openers?

I've always loved the first 30 seconds of Star's 1990 musical program. Simply a joy to the musical ear.

• Like 5

Going back old skool....27th Lancer's "Crown Imperial", any year they played it.

MikeD - thanks for bringing up that opener. I would have suggested the same number. That's an example of a production that would STILL bring the house down after all these years. The impact was further enhanced by what is now considered 'no longer relevant' guard work.

• Like 1

2000 cadets of Bergen county.

MikeD - thanks for bringing up that opener. I would have suggested the same number. That's an example of a production that would STILL bring the house down after all these years. The impact was further enhanced by what is now considered 'no longer relevant' guard work.

I arranged their version for my band when I was a band director back in the 70's. For the band I work with today, I arranged it for a competition parade we did about 10 years ago, the Apple Blossom Festival in VA.

That tune never gets old for me! :smile:

• Like 2

1985 Santa Clara - The pants changing thing is just visual icing on that musical cake..

Honorable mention - 1985 Freelancers Opening Tag

My favorites:

Star 1991 : Fountains of Rome/Pines of Rome - Rotating box moment into company front with Pines of Rome. I am still amazed at that to this day.

Star 1990: Belshazzars Feast- My favorite show, so naturally one of my favorite openers.

Phantom Regiment 1991 - Nessum Dorma- The soloist, (who I think is JD Shaw?) and the arrangement combines power and beauty at the same time. I'll throw in Phantom 2010's Band of Brothers Michael Kamen piece as well, as that set the the tone for the entire show.

Cadets of Bergen 1991: Short Ride in a Fast Machine- This one has more punch to it in my opinion than the Vanguard version in 2001.

I love this piece, and the way CBC played it that year, really brought out the impact moments. Side Note: After listening to Uffes Workshop- I am getting some vibe, similar to when I hear Short Ride. Can't wait to see the Bluecoats play it.

Cavaliers 1990- Gloria- the build, and then the turnaround- this was one of the first shows I listened to with my new hoe theater /sound system- the turnaround moment of that opener nearly blew my speaker out.

Santa Clara 1997 - On the Town- Really love the 84 (or was it 85? ) version of this too. Moving it into the opener for Fog City Sketches really set the tone for the show IMO. Also a great introduction for the aggressiveness of On the Waterfront.

Santa Clara 2000- Tears of Kierkegrad into the Barber piece- Santa Clara's shows between 97 and 00 -I would say all great openers. This one along with 97 's slow build up....emotional, moving, and fitting like 97 for the aggressiveness of the Barber piece.

1988 Blue Devils- Happy Days/ Get Happy - 2011 's opener, (and somewhat of the Happy Days redo in2009,) brought back memories of this show for me. I love it when BD opens their show with a jazzy ballad type of piece like this. BD's 1992' SomeonesThere also gets honorable mention.

1995 Madison Scouts -El Toro Caliente- IMO one of the most "crowd engaging" shows in DCi history deserves a best opener. I am glad I was around to see this show live. Forever a memory for me that year in Allentown.

Edited by Dmlkmen

A few come to mind:

1987 SCV, "Russian Christmas Music." Perfectly paced, beautifully perfomed. Should be the blueprint for a great opener.

1992 Cavaliers, "Gavorkna Fanfare." Intensity, energy, and precision...told every other corps that they were there to win.

1996 Phantom, "Intro to the 4th Ballet Suite." One of the longest, most intense buildups ever. "Passion and power."

And how could I forget 1991 Crossmen, "Minuano." Great opening statement, build to the end, and of course, that drumline!

• Like 1

I've always loved the first 30 seconds of Star's 1990 musical program. Simply a joy to the musical ear.

Thank you for posting this. I was thinking it, but too lazy to look up the name. I believe that was Praise Ye the God of Gold. Just incredible harmonies!