Best Openers?

Going back old skool....27th Lancer's "Crown Imperial", any year they played it.

Seconded. When I marched in SCV I wore out a cassette tape of '81 2-7 listening to Crown Imperial at high volume on my Sony Walkman to get me into "The Zone" before a show. The marching tymp section should be voted into the DCI Hall of Fame as nothing has come close to what those 4 guys did, and the chordal "stack" in halftime countering the lead sop passages prior to the accelerando where the horn arc form compressed at the end is sheer off-the-charts awesomossity. I don't know if it was intentional, but the ffff SCV drum tag at the end was a great touch! 87 SCV was a close second, and after that I'd have to fast forward right to CC 2013.

• Like 2

1985 Santa Clara - The pants changing thing is just visual icing on that musical cake..

Honorable mention - 1985 Freelancers Opening Tag

Wow, thought I'd never see anyone mention that year as usually '87 SCV overshadows it by a mile. Thanks!

-- Tracer AKA Tail End Charlie in the Tunnel of Doom

Cadets 1997 is absolute insanity as an opener

SCV 2000 is one of the best slow openings ever, and it's beautiful.

SCV 1985 is so awesome, Festive Overture is a great piece.

I realize it was a 7th place show but SCV 1980 was always one of my favorites

• Like 1

2000 Cavaliers - Niagara Falls. The Punches at the start, through the phenomenal percussion writing/execution, massive laying down of the theme, a loud Cavaliers hornline, and the drill...the drill.

2011 Bluecoats - Creep. Simple and effective writing and the sound that was produced.

2002 Cavaliers - Frameworks. How effortlessly that hornline executed is just phenomenal.

2011 Blue Devils - Beat My Heart Skipped. Great entertaining show that started off with an awesome solo.

2012 Crossmen - Fragile. They were groovin again and that soloist (Chris) was phenomenal.

2010 Cavaliers - Mad World. If you get to include all of the preshow then yeah that thing transported me right into their Mad World.

1992 Cavaliers Gavorkna Fanfare so good.

1995 Madison Scouts - A Drum Corps Fan's Dream. From the solo and turnaround that thing was gonna be good.

• Like 1