Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

It's people like you that are the reason why some people don't call drum corps marching band. It's because you very actively and subliminally devalue, make fun of, belittle and shame the word "marching band". They don't care that it is "marching band" its that the name is constantly derided by people like you and that's what they care about.

So, just realize when you comment about the "Madison Scouts Marching Band" this summer, it is your tone and attitude that people will hate more than the language.

Well seeing how I have done both AND haven't said ANYTHING about marching band being "worse" or "belittled" in any way, the shame is on you for thinking that way. I bet you were the guy trying to beat up marching band people, right?

Let's see here, Cadets sang in 1979, had a professional dancer in 1987, Boston used a synth in the 80s. When exactly did this all become marching band again?

You are asking me for a specific date on this ? Thats like me asking you on what date did Man evolve from the Apes ?,.. or on what date did the Creator create the World ?. No can do. Its evolutionary, and cumulative over time. Its not like someone gets up some morning looks at the calendar and points to the date and says like the song lyrics...: " whoomp.. there it is ! " on this stuff. Get real here, you know ?.

Edited by BRASSO

No matter how many times people say this, it only adds one more time that they are frankly completely wrong. As mentioned above, lots of circuits before DCI set up separate divisions within their circuits. One for " Drum Corps " ... another for " Marching Band ". The DIvision was that... a " division "... one wholly for Drum Corps, the other for Marching Band. They were easily distinquisable and readily identifible ? How ? Principally by instrumentations utilized. Were there any confusion back then within these circuits as to what constututed a " Drum Corps " and which constituted a " Marching Band " within thesse circuis, within its membership base, and within its fan bases. Nope. Never a peep as near as I could tell. Not a single disagreement within these circuits as to what constituted a " Drum Corps " and what constituted a " Marching Band ". Even the judges could easily distinquish between the two, as many judged in both the separate divisions.. often on the same day, and often in the same show. So what can we learn from this ? Well, for starters, we can acknowledge for once tht the often stated comment that " Drum Corps have always been Marching Band " to be wrong... and that no amount of a feeble attempt to ignore history or recreate a revisionist history can deny the clear and observable historical fact that at one time " Drum Corps " were in fact decidedly not " Marching Band " and that circuits throughout the country and in Canada set up separate divisions for the distinctive two. Those are the facts. And no amount of a lack of understanding of Drum Corps history allows one to state that " Drum Corps has always been Marching Band", when historical, observable evidence clearly proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that such a statement is simply categorically false.

So...I assume marching bands could not compete in a drum corps division because they had things not allowed in that division, like woodwinds. That leaves me curious to know what drum corps had that would disqualify them from competing in the marching band circuit?

• Like 2

Save, all brass marching bands. Actually I think they could compete they would take a penalty for the instruments.

This is just historically factually incorrect.

Otherwise, lots of local circuits before DCI would not have set up separate and distinctive Divisions for the two within their circuit organizations They were easily identifable and clearly distinquisable from the other by the instrumentation utilized.. So when you state here " has always " you are simply dead wrong on this....and with all due respect, as wrong as wrong can be.

Sorry...I'm not wrong, no matter what you think...YOU are simply 'dead wrong' on this...as wrong as wrong can be.

• Like 3

No matter how many times people say this, it only adds one more time that they are frankly completely wrong. As mentioned above, lots of circuits before DCI set up separate divisions within their circuits. One for " Drum Corps " ... another for " Marching Band ". The DIvision was that... a " division "... one wholly for Drum Corps, the other for Marching Band. They were easily distinquisable and readily identifible ? How ? Principally by instrumentations utilized. Were there any confusion back then within these circuits as to what constututed a " Drum Corps " and which constituted a " Marching Band " within thesse circuis, within its membership base, and within its fan bases. Nope. Never a peep as near as I could tell. Not a single disagreement within these circuits as to what constituted a " Drum Corps " and what constituted a " Marching Band ". Even the judges could easily distinquish between the two, as many judged in both the separate divisions.. often on the same day, and often in the same show. So what can we learn from this ? Well, for starters, we can acknowledge for once tht the often stated comment that " Drum Corps have always been Marching Band " to be wrong... and that no amount of a feeble attempt to ignore history or recreate a revisionist history can deny the clear and observable historical fact that at one time " Drum Corps " were in fact decidedly not " Marching Band " and that circuits throughout the country and in Canada set up separate divisions for the distinctive two. Those are the facts. And no amount of a lack of understanding of Drum Corps history allows one to state that " Drum Corps has always been Marching Band", when historical, observable evidence clearly proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that such a statement is simply categorically false.

i was part of the history my friend so I dont need a lesson....what you dont get is that the differenences were made yes ...why, to separate itself mainly because of the stigma..instruments?...maybe...slice the pie any way you want....separate the pieces any way you want....its still the same pie........maybe one was served on a paper plate and the other on china but that was the chosen way to serve it all up to the public....so maybe the feeble attempt is NOT admitting at least WHY it was what it was.....maybe with our history we had our heads so far up our behinds that all we saw was the cool aid we were given to drink...and ya know, thats fine BUT someday ya just have to admit it is what it was

You are right though circuits and so on were set up.......................so I guess people could un -do what was done also.............AND call it whatever

Edited by GUARDLING

Are you willing to include ‘all’ of the interested people, including all of the living legacy fans and legacy staff members, in this consensus definition of what DCI has become, if we were to create such a poll, to see if DCI has become BOAesque Marching Band and no longer Drum Corps?

DCI is the drum corps subset of marching band. Always has been. That is what you seem to be missing.

• Like 2

Sorry...I'm not wrong, no matter what you think...YOU are simply 'dead wrong' on this...as wrong as wrong can be.

its the mind set we all grew up with and even bought into..and many cant let it go....you would have to look back if excepted and maybe think you werent as cool as you thought....lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

its the mind set we all grew up with and even bought into..and many cant let it go....you would have to look back if excepted and maybe think you werent as cool as you thought....lol

Agreed, for some reason people want to deny it's marching band now. So silly.

• Like 1

In m view, there are far more people that want to obsessively cling to the traditional nomenclature of " Drum Corps", while simultaneously embacing all the instrumentation commonly found in the Marching Band world. They become very angry and bitter with the reasonable suggestion that the proper nomenclature now be properly assigned to what these units are. They don't like the general perjorative and rhe sterotypical view of a Marching Band member, and so they steadfastly cling to their belief in the use of the more hip and cool sounding " Drum Corps". They are resentful with others because deep down they know that fundamentally you can't have it both ways. Its is incompatible with conventional rational thought that the use of Singers, Dancers, Rock Guitars, Synths, Keyboards, Microphones, Trumpets, Trombones, Sousaphones, Amplification etc, is somehow not " a Band . Only a denial of reality however allows one to believe that it is not with these.

Who said drum corps is not a band? Of course it is...and it "was" 50 years ago as well. The definition of the drum corps subset of band is whatever those who define it decide it wlll be. DCI does so for its groups; DCA does the same for its members; pre-DCI the VFW and AL did as well.

No 'resentful' or 'angry and bitter' on our side of this...we leave that to you and those who agree with you, who are attacking DCI for daring to define itself as it wishes.