Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

You can say it as many times as you want to , but that doesn't make it so. There once was a large difference between drum corps and marching bands. With drum corps having the tough and cool factor, and marching band being, well, lame and nerdy. Now that drum corps has slid over to marching band, you want to revise history and pretend it always was that way. Sorry. Not so. The cool factor is gone. Drum corps is now, well, lame and nerdy. Notwithstanding the four or so of you who would defend it forever. ..... Even Joe Stalin had a few supporters.

youre right....................YOU can say it all you want and it doesnt make it so ! :tounge2:

• Like 1

No 'resentful' or 'angry and bitter' on our side of this...we leave that to you and those who agree with you, who are attacking DCI for daring to define itself as it wishes.

Don't take it personal MikeD that I personally referred to you as " bitter " and resentful ". If you took it that way, it was not my intent. My remarks were general nature and was specifically in rely to a poster above that stated that those that think that its way beyond time for a name change to " Marching Band " are all somehow " bitter ", which is likewise painting with too broad a brush, imo

I actually believe that the older legend fans from BITD and the newer fans of today are actually coming closer and closer with its passing day in the acknowledgement that these units are now " Marching Bands ". You, to your credit, have publically acknowleged it... the older legend fans have too... and increasingly the newer generation has arrived at the acknowledgement that DCI are " Marching Bands ". Fans may come at this acknowlegement from different perspectives to be sure, but does that in the end matter ? I don't think so. What we think of DCI " Marching Bands" is a separate question altogether it seems to me too. But fundamentally, there is a decidely noticeable shift, to the acceptance that these DCI units are " Bands ". I think before long, DCI will change their nomenclature too to reflect more grounded reality in what we clearly have before us.

Edited by BRASSO

Well seeing how I have done both AND haven't said ANYTHING about marching band being "worse" or "belittled" in any way, the shame is on you for thinking that way. I bet you were the guy trying to beat up marching band people, right?

When you position that the title of an organization is more important to you than what they do.... you ARE doing that. No one, it appears, feels as passionate about calling drum corps marching bands than you. The classification game you play is worse than a grammar Nazi but you are not motivated by "clarity in the english language". It is a tactic for you to say "you reap what you soe! If you don't want me to call it a marching band it should be different than a marching band." This implicitly propagates the marching band stigma by using "marching band" descriptions as a, for lack of a better word, trolling mechanism. You have to ask yourself why you feel so compelled to continue to call these corps marching bands, and I mean REALLY think about the real season for it, and its not, no matter what you tell yourself, for instrumentation purposes... It doesn't truly come from a positive place, so it propagates negativity.

Congratulations, you have a Marching Band! It took a while but we are here now. Whew! :music:

Define many. Oh, and yes Crown has a very good marching band.

Yep. Another customer lost and another seat freed up to watch the best marching band show in the world. Everyone is happy right?

Indeed. The DCI marching bands should be good this year.

Edited by charlie1223

So...I assume marching bands could not compete in a drum corps division because they had things not allowed in that division, like woodwinds. That leaves me curious to know what drum corps had that would disqualify them from competing in the marching band circuit?

Thats a good question that I had actually never contemplated before, Skevinp. On the surface, a Drum Corps in these pre DCI days could have probably sought admittance in their circuit to compete in the "Marching Band Division " rather than in the " Drum Corps Division " of their circuit if they chose to, as it would appear that instrumentation alone should not have been the disqualifyer it would seem to me. No Drum Corps to my knowledge however had ever sought admittance to compete in their circuits " Marching Band " Division rather than in the " Drum Corps Division " in their circuits. I can only guess that it might have something to do with...... oh boy, I'm probably opening up a can of worms here and its not my intent... the hip and cool factor. Drum Corps members tended to look down their noses on Marching Band members, although as a general rule, the Marching Band marchers tended on the whole to have more talented musicians in their ranks than the more raw and gritty marchers in pre DCI Drum Corps ranks. Crowd attendance tended to be slightly larger when the Drum Corps perfomed in competition than when the Marching Bands came on before they did and competed. Please keep in mind also that this was pre DCI and before a lot of the Marching Bands had large influences from the Drum Corps realm world, and likewise vice versa. But its a good question, and made me think about some plausable reasons, but its still just my guessing here on it too.

Edited by BRASSO

When you position that the title of an organization is more important to you than what they do.... you ARE doing that. No one, it appears, feels as passionate about calling drum corps marching bands than you. The classification game you play is worse than a grammar Nazi but you are not motivated by "clarity in the english language". It is a tactic for you to say "you reap what you soe! If you don't want me to call it a marching band it should be different than a marching band." This implicitly propagates the marching band stigma by using "marching band" descriptions as a, for lack of a better word, trolling mechanism. You have to ask yourself why you feel so compelled to continue to call these corps marching bands, and I mean REALLY think about the real season for it, and its not, no matter what you tell yourself, for instrumentation purposes... It doesn't truly come from a positive place, so it propagates negativity.

All those quotes and not a SINGLE bad thing uttered by me. I'm sorry, but if I showed clips of DCI I'm in good company calling it "marching band" and rightfully so. You simply imply your feelings on me. No proof mind you, but when has then been a requirement on DCP right? Perhaps you think badly of the term marching band?

Edited by Mello Dude

All those quotes and not a SINGLE bad thing uttered by me. I'm sorry, but if I showed clips of DCI I'm in good company calling it "marching band" and rightfully so. You simply imply your feelings on me. No proof mind you, but when has then been a requirement on DCP right? Perhaps you think badly of the term marching band?

Reread what I wrote.

Dude, your sentence structure/language and context says it all, it it's obvious what you are implying. You don't have to literally out right and say things that are negative for them to come across as being negative. If you were using the term marching band constructively and positively it wouldn't be used in the contexts that you use it in.

Marching band is not a dirty word for me but in the context of the activity, society, movies, culture... it has a stigma that cannot be ignored. You play into and feed off that stigma. It's very obvious, and I'm surprised that you are not even aware how you come across when you do write that in the way that you do.

Edited by charlie1223

You can say it as many times as you want to , but that doesn't make it so. There once was a large difference between drum corps and marching bands. With drum corps having the tough and cool factor, and marching band being, well, lame and nerdy. Now that drum corps has slid over to marching band, you want to revise history and pretend it always was that way. Sorry. Not so. The cool factor is gone. Drum corps is now, well, lame and nerdy. Notwithstanding the four or so of you who would defend it forever. ..... Even Joe Stalin had a few supporters.

Yes, nothing nerdy about this…..

470220209_1945486aed_zpsa4172210.jpg

th-2_zps610ebc9b.jpeg

th-3_zpsda4bb648.jpeg

th-4_zpsf96ee81a.jpeg

Look, we've been drum corps/marching band nerds as long as we've been participating. We put on goofy uniforms and funny hats, and march around a hot field daily all summer, and paying money to do it. According to the rest of the world, we're dorks.

• Like 2

:felloff: ................................I would love tp meet ya one day.......OMG..lol

And when you do meet me, make sure and ask me a question concerning Neurology; I am an expert Neurologist.... simply because I said so!!!

So long as we also use the highschool marching band member fans. :)

Sure; we can include 'all' who have ever been involved with DCI at some capacity, whether as a marching member, as an instructional staff member, as a support staff member, as a board member, as a volunteer, or in the stands as an audience member. I will go along with that. And here is my prediction: that if we constructed a non-leading question, the majority will conclude that a typical WC DCI unit in 2014 is way, way, way closer to being a BOA/UIL/TOB type marching band than it is closer to being a drum corps within DCA/SDCA/MDBC.

Edited by Stu

And when you do meet me, make sure and ask me a question concerning Neurology; I am an expert Neurologist.... simply because I said so!!!

thats one area you will never convince me of.........BUT if you want to call yourself that as long as you dont practice it....have a ball..........lol

Edited by GUARDLING