Carolina Crown 2014

When did they announce their program last year?

I thought it was earlier than this.

I really don't get why corps like Crown and BD feel they need to wait so late to announce their program. We know they know what they're doing by now, but they still act like they've acquired Coke's secret formula or some other state secret.

It's almost like a cool-kid pissing contest to see who can hold it the longest. Only now, Crown has added their uniform reveal to the mix.

Your move, BD....

I thought it was earlier than this.

I really don't get why corps like Crown and BD feel they need to wait so late to announce their program. We know they know what they're doing by now, but they still act like they've acquired Coke's secret formula or some other state secret.

It's almost like a cool-kid pissing contest to see who can hold it the longest. Only now, Crown has added their uniform reveal to the mix.

Your move, BD....

I think BD announced their 2013 production in March and Crown announced in May. Crown showed their new uniforms at the beginning of June.

Isn't BD also getting new uniforms this year?

BD announced their show last year on the day of Spring. And I think crown announced theirs either late April or early May. And BD always gets some sort of new addition to their unis.

I just wish DCI had a mandatory date when corps were to announce their shows. Keeping everything a secret has gotten old now. Give the fans what they want and stop horsing around.

Edited by btown50
  • Like 2

I think BD announced their 2013 production in March and Crown announced in May. Crown showed their new uniforms at the beginning of June.

Isn't BD also getting new uniforms this year?

This is off topic, but yes I'd imagine BD (and Phantom) would have to get a new set of uniforms this year since they cut off the sleeves for their respective shows last year.

• Like 1

I agree the cone of silence is silly.

But...it's their drum corps -- they get to be silly if they want to.

I agree the cone of silence is silly.

But...it's their drum corps -- they get to be silly if they want to.

Part of the speech the audience got from Crown at the last camp as to why everything was being kept so hush had something to do with them "not yet securing the rights" to such and such and so on. I guess that makes sense.

I respectfully disagree...an NFL team might have a totally new offensive "scheme" up their sleeve. They might even work it like Hades during summer camp for the sole reason of springing a gigantic "surprise" come the first game of the regular season. Is it their "responsibility" to announce any changes or schematic philosophies to the public (even their MOST supportive fans) in advance of the season -- purely so that those very fans can now feel "in the know."? Speaking solely for myself, we are fans. Supporters. Nothing more...nothing less. If we were more important than that, then maybe we should be on the staff of our favorite Corps. Personally, I like NOT knowing my Christmas presents ahead of time. And seeing my favorite Corp(s) come out and absolutely shock me in a good way at the end of June. To me, there is absolutely nothing better than that. Yes...I do wonder what the Trooper's "A People's House" is sounding like right now. What are they using as their source material? How are they using (arranging) it? But as maddening as it may be for me to wait...the returns will (hopefully) be much better upon initial performance. If nothing else, there will exist the beauty and wonder of surprise.

Heck...if it doesn't work, then we at DCP will have from mid-August until early-June 2015 to debate why it did or didn't.

Edited by HornTeacher

I respectfully disagree...an NFL team might have a totally new offensive "scheme" up their sleeve. They might even work it like Hades during summer camp for the sole reason of springing a gigantic "surprise" come the first game of the regular season. Is it their "responsibility" to announce any changes or schematic philosophies to the public (even their MOST supportive fans) in advance of the season -- purely so that those very fans can now feel "in the know."?

I agree. If Crown announced too early then BD will be able to up with the perfect defense to stop them from winning. It's exactly like football.

Speaking solely for myself, we are fans.

I think you may want to re-write this.

Supporters. Nothing more...nothing less. If we were more important than that, then maybe we should be on the staff of our favorite Corps.

And this is the attitude that will doom drum corps to oblivion.

Crown and others can play Secret Squirrel if they feel it's in their best interests. But the long, off-season hibernation is very, very bad for the growth of the activity as a whole.

• Like 2

I agree. If Crown announced too early then BD will be able to up with the perfect defense to stop them from winning. It's exactly like football.

Exactly.

It's not as if divulging even the concept of the show (sans actual musical selections) is going to set off a storm of copy-cats in the top 12 corps. Especially this late in the game. The season kicks off in two months. What corps, upon finding out in May that Crown is doing a show about kittens, is going to rewrite their program to be about puppies?

There's no logical reason or competitive edge given by staying quiet this long. Yes, it's their prerogative to do so, and I probably wouldn't have an issue with it, except that they KNOW we want to know, and still drop teasers about "something" that they know isn't what we want.