Carolina Crown 2014

I'm not a BD fan... and as I said, to each their own. The show was (for me) a greatest hits of the past 4 with some Star & Cadets sprinkled in - which makes sense when one looks at their staff of designers

George, I apologize. I know you're not a BD fan. I was focused on Crown when I typed that and, of course, you're right and I'm wrong.

I love Cadets, too. And Phantom.

To each their own.

• Like 1

After this post, you should have just dropped the mic, shouted "Deez nuts!" and left the thread victoriously.

lol... do people still do that?

wasn't that some WWE thing? or even WWF thing?

amazing how people can see the same thing so differently

I found last years Crown production the least original winning program in years - every element felt redundant - to me, maybe I've just been following the activity way too long

You know, I think I kind of agree with you. There aren't necessarily a ton of concepts in their production that were unique to the activity, but the flow of the show and the design elements were so well integrated and designed (not to mentioned performed), that it's still a great show.

I think Phantom 08 was probably the least original winning program in a long time, though. And even Cadets 2011 was a different take on Sky Riders WSS visual design (with sharks/jets and corps in different uniforms). Cadets did an amazing job with their Angels/Demons production and made it fresh because of how they applied the concept, but it definitely was not a unique concept to DCI. I think Blue Devils last year had a more interesting design concept, though Crown did a lot of cool things; I admired BD more, while I liked Crown more (if that makes sense)

• Like 4

lol... do people still do that?

wasn't that some WWE thing? or even WWF thing?

lol No, but I know the phenomenon you're thinking of. This is more on a hood level, not trailer park.

And perc2011, good point on Phantom. It felt really been-there-heard-that to me, but they still played the bejesus out of it.

; I admired BD more, while I liked Crown more (if that makes sense)

I used to feel the same way about BD as compared to other corps back in the late 70's. I admired them for their amazing performances and creativity (and thought they deserved every title they won), but I liked corps such as Bayonne, 27th, North Star and even Garfield much better (being an East coast guy, I guess!).

I went to last month's camp, and needless to say I was blown away by what I heard. I think this year's show will be...out of this world? Maybe...but then again, I was pretty sure I knew last year's show this time a year ago and I ended up being way off. Either way, this year's brass book will definitely not disappoint. This year's music sounds...I don't want to say darker...more intense than last year's.

Eumir Deodato's version of ASZ/2001 from his 1973 album "Prelude" brought to the field, as only CC could bring it? <crosses fingers>

Edited by TRacer

We were very nice to them when they came here last summer. I loved their show except the narration part. Which is how I feel about all narration. (Yowza made me leave the activity for 2 years)

• Like 1

I had mixed feelings about their show last year as I hated the singing, but it has grown on me over time and I now really appreciate what they were able to accomplish in 2013. I am really looking forward to seeing what they come up with this year. One thing I know for sure is that I will love their horn line and I will probably hate their uniform.

Just throwing it out there - the standstill recording mp3's they sell on their store has a version of the ballad that's brass only - no voice. :) (Bought that one and never looked back...)

Mike

The brass part is glorious, it just seems like it's missing something. But then again, I thought the narration added a great layer on top, so what do I know. But man, that entrance of the low brass during the ballad is just perfection. Like laying down in a soft bed after a hard day at work.

• Like 2