Why won't DCI follow this type of path?

I don't think corps staff go out of their way to promote their corps as the be-all-end-all... I just think that, as in my experience, the aims/goals of the corps itself on that particular weekend take precedence over thinking about the activity at large. I'm sure if DCI asked corps to make it a priority to get all those kids who auditioned into other corps, I don't think there'd be too much backlash. It would be as simple as DCI putting together an information packet that corps hand out to kids who don't make the cut. Then the kid and their parents are informed and steered in a positive direction, and the decision is then on them.

False.

Drum corps aren't in the business of placing their cuts. They don't get any ROI on it.

If DCI did it, it's a heavy data burden, subject to misuse and getting kids' dreams crushed multiple times.

Combines haven't worked in the past, though they've been tried.

It sounds so simple from the outside, but the unfortunate reality is that it's up to the kid to pick themselves up after getting cut and trying again. (And paying tryout fees again.)

False.

Drum corps aren't in the business of placing their cuts. They don't get any ROI on it.

If DCI did it, it's a heavy data burden, subject to misuse and getting kids' dreams crushed multiple times.

It sounds so simple from the outside, but the unfortunate reality is that it's up to the kid to pick themselves up after getting cut and trying again. (And paying tryout fees again.)

In other words...everyday life for which we adults are charged with their preparation.

False.

I think the ROI is a thriving activity... the more kids involved, the healthier the pot is that all corps share at the end.

I'm not advocating a DCI database of every kid who auditions; that's a little too big brother for my taste. I'm saying DCI could put together a general information packet that is distributed to corps to give to kids who are cut at audition camps. It would educate those kids and their parents about what DCI is and member corps that the kid could try out... especially Open Class corps that may be right next door to where the kid lives.

Not sure what you mean about "combines"... like when Crossmen were at YEA? Or, like, big/little brother corps? If so, these particular partnerships may not have had a huge impact, but they did on me... in 2003 Scenic City (Chattanooga, TN) shared camp staff/volunteers (cooking, etc.) with Carolina Crown. The camp staff talked with a friend of mine who was cut and offered for him to come and march @ SC; he did and took me with him! I'm living proof that this kind of partnership works!

As a teacher, I think kids can and should pick themselves up after getting cut from an elite ensemble; however, many don't even realize that there's other drum corps out there... and that they would be glad to have kids like I was!

I think the ROI is a thriving activity... the more kids involved, the healthier the pot is that all corps share at the end.

I'm not advocating a DCI database of every kid who auditions; that's a little too big brother for my taste. I'm saying DCI could put together a general information packet that is distributed to corps to give to kids who are cut at audition camps. It would educate those kids and their parents about what DCI is and member corps that the kid could try out... especially Open Class corps that may be right next door to where the kid lives.

Not sure what you mean about "combines"... like when Crossmen were at YEA? Or, like, big/little brother corps? If so, these particular partnerships may not have had a huge impact, but they did on me... in 2003 Scenic City (Chattanooga, TN) shared camp staff/volunteers (cooking, etc.) with Carolina Crown. The camp staff talked with a friend of mine who was cut and offered for him to come and march @ SC; he did and took me with him! I'm living proof that this kind of partnership works!

As a teacher, I think kids can and should pick themselves up after getting cut from an elite ensemble; however, many don't even realize that there's other drum corps out there... and that they would be glad to have kids like I was!

you really think that , lets say a kid auditions for Cadets, they dont know there are other opportunities out there? I will say it again I DO think and know 1st hand many WC corps send kids different places BUT this activity ( different from BITD ) is also about growing up and taking care of yourself. I do think kids are very savy today and totally aware of what's out there. Now , whether they want something else is another story.

you really think that , lets say a kid auditions for Cadets, they dont know there are other opportunities out there? I will say it again I DO think and know 1st hand many WC corps send kids different places BUT this activity ( different from BITD ) is also about growing up and taking care of yourself. I do think kids are very savy today and totally aware of what's out there. Now , whether they want something else is another story.

agreed. and since OC sets their course, until they make themselves appear viable, it is what it is.

• Like 1

Perhaps... it definitely is a different world now with the internet, etc.

I do think an invitation to look other places after a failed audition changes a kids' outlook compared to a, "You didn't make it... see ya."

Sadly, those kids who would learn about growing up and taking care of themselves from marching in drum corps may not be learning it at home or school (for instance, my county has a mandatory "no kid gets below a 60 on a report card" rule). Ridiculous.

agreed. and since OC sets their course, until they make themselves appear viable, it is what it is.

This is one reason DCI should have this packet available... to help kids find OC corps!

Perhaps... it definitely is a different world now with the internet, etc.

I do think an invitation to look other places after a failed audition changes a kids' outlook compared to a, "You didn't make it... see ya."

Sadly, those kids who would learn about growing up and taking care of themselves from marching in drum corps may not be learning it at home or school (for instance, my county has a mandatory "no kid gets below a 60 on a report card" rule). Ridiculous.

This is one reason DCI should have this packet available... to help kids find OC corps!

not DCI....corps , OC corps need to do more to promote themselves and what they may offer.I teach alot of kids and they , I find , are very aware of what they want and how to get it most often. Very different from when I was a MM

not DCI....corps , OC corps need to do more to promote themselves and what they may offer.I teach alot of kids and they , I find , are very aware of what they want and how to get it most often. Very different from when I was a MM

oooh, okay, gotcha.

to segway back to the topic, does NASCAR have any type of system that encourages drivers/teams to do one series or another? I don't really know much about it. Is there any team that jumps into the stock car qualifiers, doesn't make the cut, and the NASCAR admin says "hey, instead of this series, try the truck series for a couple years, then come back again after you get some experience." I'm pretty ignorant about how NASCAR works...

oooh, okay, gotcha.

to segway back to the topic, does NASCAR have any type of system that encourages drivers/teams to do one series or another? I don't really know much about it. Is there any team that jumps into the stock car qualifiers, doesn't make the cut, and the NASCAR admin says "hey, instead of this series, try the truck series for a couple years, then come back again after you get some experience." I'm pretty ignorant about how NASCAR works...

I don't think it is NASCAR (and its' administration) itself that necessarily "tells" teams "Hey, you don't make the cut right now. Why don't you try the Nationwide or Truck Series." Instead, it is the economic (and competitive) realities which dictate the level at which a team competes. I don't think a team goes into the Sprint Cup Series (the "major leagues," if you will, of the overall NASCAR conglomerate) without knowing exactly what is entailed, both economically and competitively. In other words, it's not a blind entrance. If you do your research -- and I'm talking about the respective team(s), not you specifically -- you have a very good idea regarding the economic onus entailed in racing at the very top level. You simply have the funding -- or you don't. And you make your choices accordingly.

NASCAR has the following structure. And they work just as hard, if not harder, as a corporation marketing for local sponsorships at local weekend-warrior tracks for local races as they do for the National Touring Sprint Cup Series because NASCAR knows that the ‘heart, soul, and future’ of NASCAR is the Local Tracks. While they do not force teams into one series over the other, NASCAR also highly, I mean highly encourages and monitors teams to move to a different series to stay financially afloat. They truly care for the 'local rookie' as much as they do for Sprint Cup Multi-Champion Jimmie Johnson; again it is because NASCAR knows the local rookie is the ‘heart, soul, and future' of NASCAR. The media just does not cover anything past the national touring series level, and that is why most people outside of the sport of racing are not aware of how altruistic NASCAR really is at the local levels:

National Touring Series:

(The three series most familiar to TV audiences)

Sprint Cup (Top Series, most expensive, most races, competitive restrictions, driver restrictions, most fans, most viewed on TV)

Nationwide (Second Tier, fewer races, more restrictions, less expensive, less viewership)

Camping World (Trucks, even fewer races, even more restrictions, even less expensive, less viewership)

Regional Series:

(Designed as mid-level jump to gain experience to get into a national series, many competitive restrictions)

K&N Pro Series East (midwest-east)

K&N Pro Series West (midwest-west)

Whelan Modified Touring (mainly north)

Whelan Modified Southern (mainly south)

Local Series:

(Typical local tracks running weekend events on a local level all across the United States with many competitive restrictions to keep costs down for teams)

Whelan All-American Series

Edited by Stu