Controversy in WGI and DCI

Well before this thread takes the usual path, I'd like to say that all this talk about WGI makes me want to renew my fan network subscription. There are lots of shows that I haven't seen yet.

I've had WGI and DCI fan network subscriptions for about 3 years, enjoy DCI live feeds while reading DCP cheering for corps and attended finals twice. Last year, I peeked at a few WGI drum lines videos and was hooked, as with last year's DCI Drumline Battle. 2 months ago I printed the WGI winterguard finalists from 1978 to 2013 and determined to watch all 2,000 performances just because ;) So far 1978, 1979 and 1987 are non-controversial by todays standards, however, one of the guards in 1979 had double flags and smoke. Oh my.

Viewing WGI guards, drums, winds 2013 was a wonderful way to escape the every day. Thanks to all the performers. Ya done good kids :)

• Like 1

Let’s see…. (A) Thematic material based on Kama Sutra, no matter how it is presented in an artistic manner, is not suitable for kids; or (B) Those who think that is the case are Far Religious Right Fox News Prudish Judgment Passers calling for censorship of all kinds from progressive performance artists. Hmmmm…. I vote for (A), and I think that so would most parents.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for those lines and guards that go for the shock factor. Although Northmont 1997 is something I can never un-see, it's had such an impact on the activity, and that's super cool! Same with the Fantasia shows mentioned, Bishop Kearney's "Sybil" show, and other shows mentioned. Maybe Kama Sutra was pushing it a little bit, but the show was still fairly well-done in my opinion. Had it been attempted by a HIGH SCHOOL, I would have probably a different opinion on it, but since it was done by an independent group, I think it's more appropriate...if that makes sense haha. I can't help but think there will always be lines and guards that push some boundaries, but I think that's fantastic. It's all about the art!

• Like 2

Let’s see…. (A) Thematic material based on Kama Sutra, no matter how it is presented in an artistic manner, is not suitable for kids; or (B) Those who think that is the case are Far Religious Right Fox News Prudish Judgment Passers calling for censorship of all kinds from progressive performance artists. Hmmmm…. I vote for (A), and I think that so would most parents.

:smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

Personally, I have a lot of respect for those lines and guards that go for the shock factor. Although Northmont 1997 is something I can never un-see, it's had such an impact on the activity, and that's super cool! Same with the Fantasia shows mentioned, Bishop Kearney's "Sybil" show, and other shows mentioned. Maybe Kama Sutra was pushing it a little bit, but the show was still fairly well-done in my opinion. Had it been attempted by a HIGH SCHOOL, I would have probably a different opinion on it, but since it was done by an independent group, I think it's more appropriate...if that makes sense haha. I can't help but think there will always be lines and guards that push some boundaries, but I think that's fantastic. It's all about the art!

the Sybil show was great for its time and certainly moved the activity forward. Talk about controversial shows, thought provoking as well as fantastic visually, and coming from a Catholic High School..Yeah Bishop Kearney HS...Jackson Pollock show was great too. They certainly weren't afraid to take on different, controversy, mold breaking and trend setting. I couldn't agree more with you.

Edited by GUARDLING

This year's PSW Champion had a beheading as their climax. A few people I talked to (one who is a WGI judge) told me they weren't super comfortable with that.

most I know that saw it viewed as more VK-like comedy than anything. Must have been the cake!