Dirtiest championship corps since 1990

Any corps appears less than pristine from the end zones. Some just plain horrible; but the show is adjudicated from the box, not the end zone.

Agreed, but there is no better location to get a read on actual timing and technique than from field level in the end zone. They were borderline disastrous person-to-person, but great from up top. That's a compliment to the show designers, for certain. Those years were incredibly well written.

I will never forget the 2003 show in Chicago where something like 15 of them fell down and they still scored a 19.1 in field visual.

I can't say which is the dirtiest, but in my humble opinion, I think Blue Devils 2009 has to be one of the cleanest shows ever!

• Like 1

Interesting choice, since they're generally considered the cleanest corps there's been. With the exception of the guard drop in the Fight Club.

I'd say '04 Cavies or '07 Devs. Some visual dirt in there. Or '91 Star. Such an amazing book, but man was it difficult. Pyware couldn't have gotten it clean.

shave and a haircut...big ticks

• Like 3

You clearly never watched from the end zone. Yikes.

even from the front. it was a clear case of demand calling the show, because feet phasing was all over. the pit is why the percussion got a mid 19, because the battery had issues.

this is a clear case of visual demand over integrating itself into other captions, because musically they have had harder shows, but played better.

Cadets 2005 I was there at finals and I couldn't believe the score they got

Interesting. Any sections or parts of the show that stick out?

I've watched it numerous times and always considered it to be one of the Cadets' cleanest wins, but I wasn't really looking or listening for dirt either.

In 1989, just two weeks before finals, SCV discovered they had two over-age members, and kicked them out. One was a snare, the other a horn player. It was too close to finals to adjust the drill. This is why you can see a recurring hole in the horn line, and why the snare line sometimes seemed to be playing bumper cars.

I am guessing that the judges were made aware of this problem, and cut SCV a bit of slack as a result.

If you want more details, there are a some interesting DCP threads on the issue. Basically, the over-age members were both from England, and had lied on their visa application about their age, thus not only enraging Gail Royer, but setting themselves up for criminal charges as well.

Yep. Still an...imprecisely executed finals show. Maybe nerves.

And yes, I now realize the thread title limits us to 1990 :)

Cadets 2005 I was there at finals and I couldn't believe the score they got

I was there, and except for one line that wasn't straight (can't find it in the video, maybe edited out?) and a rim tic in the tenor solo, I didn't / don't really see or hear a flaw in that show.

You can sort of tell what judges were looking for / willing to overlook era by era, by watching these championship shows and looking at the scores. Sort of, I mean it's all hindsight and many of us weren't there, certainly not on the field.