DCP Poster's view toward DCI

Your Thoughts on DCI, the organization  

173 members have voted

1. 1. What's your general view of DCI?

• I'm generally positive about what I see and post about DCI.
    • I'm generally negative about what I see and post about DCI.
    • I'm generally neutral about what I see see and post about DCI.
    • My opinion and posts about DCI are specific to the issue discussed. Some good, some not.
  2. 2. What's your perception of OTHER poster's opinions?

• From what I read, I think most DCP posters are positive about DCI.
    • From what I read, I think most DCP posters are negative about DCI.
    • From what I read, I think most DCP posters are neutral about DCI
    • From what I read, I think most DCP poster's opinion is dependent on the issue being discussed. Some good, some not.

Ding! Ding!

100 votes

I realize 100 may be statistically insignificant, but it's a nice, round number. I'll bump this some more as the season opens and fans come to look in greater numbers.

So, let's review.

Roughly 44% of respondents say they are positive and 43% say they are issue-oriented. Total of 87% of respondents.

But roughly 44% believe that most posters are negative and 47% think most posters are issue-oriented. A total of 91%.

Only 4% admit to posting mostly negatively. But only 4% think others are mostly positive.

While 9% can't make up their mind and are neutral, generally, in their posts, only 3% of posters think there are people who are neutral or can't make up their minds.

Am I missing anything? Any other viewpoints or interpretations?

From this limited sampling of just 100 respondants to this poll it would appear the sampling size is much too small to draw much conclusions other than the early returns seem to show that DCI has some work to do with its fanbase, insofar as the DCP fanbase is concerned anyway. I am curious if the results would have been much better for DCI had this poll also been posted on the historical site of DCP where there is a tendency for the more veteran DCI'ers to post and read there on that side of this DCP forum..

Edited by BRASSO

So, what's up with the "tour blockout" of DCP. "Those angry white men!" Ignore the criticism of DCP, they say, just don't go there.

It seems everywhere I turn I hear corps directors and, well, other connected people saying that the majority of posters on DCP are anti-DCI. That it's a congregation of complainers, legacy fans who complain about every little thing, and a pollution to the brains of the kids on tour.

Wait, what?

I've been here a while, and I don't see it. Maybe I'm blinded. So I decided to ask.

Apparently DCP'ers don't think they post negative stuff, but they think DCP'ers post negative stuff.

What's feeding this idea that DCP is a denizen of complainers who see nothing good in what DCI is or has done?

Does anyone think this poll is going to change as more people troop in to DCP for the season?

So, what's up with the "tour blockout" of DCP. "Those angry white men!" Ignore the criticism of DCP, they say, just don't go there.

It seems everywhere I turn I hear corps directors and, well, other connected people saying that the majority of posters on DCP are anti-DCI. That it's a congregation of complainers, legacy fans who complain about every little thing, and a pollution to the brains of the kids on tour.

Wait, what?

I've been here a while, and I don't see it. Maybe I'm blinded. So I decided to ask.

Apparently DCP'ers don't think they post negative stuff, but they think DCP'ers post negative stuff.

What's feeding this idea that DCP is a denizen of complainers who see nothing good in what DCI is or has done?

Does anyone think this poll is going to change as more people troop in to DCP for the season?

It's human nature to concentrate on the negatives rather than the positives. It's an attitude of "If it's good, why touch it?" The converse attitude of "Here's what's wrong..." is more prevalent. But just because a person seeks to rectify a perceived wrong or weakness doesn't make them a "critic" (in the negative sense, anyway). Many times, our biggest critics also tend to be our biggest supporters...it's just that they're trying to assist with improvement.

I'm not sure what to expect once the season kicks off. This has been the strangest off-season on this board that I can remember. I often come here first thing in the morning and there were several times when there hasn't been a new comment since 10:00 pm the night before. I can't remember it ever being that quiet.

I wonder if there will be less people coming back than usual.

Edited by Lincoln

I occasionally have negative views (though those negative views are mostly directed towards individuals who I disagree with rather than the topic as a whole) and I do feel that this forum has quite a bit of unnecessary negativity, though not as much as people seem to claim.

Some examples:

Uniform 2014 topic - Plenty of people on that topic endlessly trashing BK's new unis, crown's old unis, and Spirit's new unis. That's not to say that there aren't any positive comments, but the criticism is so extreme that it overshadows the positive.

Corps Directors topic - yeah, that's a topic back from 2010 but it was recently revived and full of negativity and skepticism towards DCI and the way it functions

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/159571-what-did-i-miss/ This topic here (sorry I couldn't figure out how to do a hyperlink). Again, lots of people who were very welcome and positive, but a few negative nellies practically proclaimed the death of DCI. Seriously?

Fan Network 2014-2015 topic where some people decided to trash on the customer service of the fan network. I'd be fine with that if the customer service were truly that bad, but there were many on the topic who clearly showed it was the opposite of that. Again, unnecessary cynicism towards DCI.

The Phantom Regiment 2014 thread. Just look at it and enough is said.

The "anyone know why the scouts" topic. I myself was genuinely upset at the OP of that topic because it was stirring up stuff for nothing. Calling students in the Scouts who aren't up to par in terms of playing "flakes" is probably not something that DCP outsiders would appreciate either.

I could go on but I think you get my point. There IS negativity on these forums and I'm not sure how you seem to miss it. The thing is, the actual amount of negativity is minuscule compared to the amount of positive on here. Unfortunately, the negative statements/topics made on here are truly extreme/####### crazy and a lot easier to remember than the positive. I think that's why there's the perception that DCP is a place of negativity and must be avoided at all costs.

I'm not sure what to expect once the season kicks off. This has been the strangest off-season on this board that I can remember. I often come here first thing in the morning and there were several times when there hasn't been a new comment since 10:00 pm the night before. I can't remember it ever being that quiet.

I wonder if there will be less people coming back than usual.

Of course DCI is going to complain; they are the subject of the complaints most of the time. I really feel that most people (and organizations) only want to hear about the good, and not address the bad, and there are not always good things happening. Those things are brought up here, and frankly DCI doesn't want to hear it. I think some people call that "EGO".

I'm not afraid to tell it how I see it ( tactfully I hope), and sometimes there are things that are more bad than good in this activity. So if that makes me negative, fine. If DCI (or anyone for that matter) has a problem with it, whatever. I make a concerted effort to look at both the good and the bad in every situation (in DCI and in life as much as possible), and I'm going to talk about both. Some don't want to have ideas presented that way. I just prefer to be direct and not play games. Some people feel the need to play politics and filter things, which is a very corporate way of doing things that I just find to be a negative.

It has been quieter for sure, but personally I don't post as much anymore because I've just gotten fed up with a few people here and I don't care to participate as much or really try to talk about issues when there are specific people who will come in and tell you the exact opposite. Also, I've had people who have started conversations WITH ME privately, then rudely don't reply later after I've answered their questions and ask questions of my own. That's just not how I like to treat people and I'm offended and I won't ever deal with those people again. If I have an issue with a person, I'll let them know that I do and why. I won't just stop talking to them out of the blue after they've answer a question that I've asked them. It's very rude, and that has happened here recently. There are some flaky people and rude people here that make me not want to participate more than I have. I mean, I understand that in a public forum, but not privately. That being said, there are some nice people too, and they bring me back to participate.

So, the negativity is to be expected, and DCI should be able to filter that out and gather some good information. It's what LOTS of corporations do. ...and we're pretty tame by some standards.

People being rude flakes is totally unacceptable. People should treat people the way they wanted to be treated.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

It seems everywhere I turn I hear corps directors and, well, other connected people saying that the majority of posters on DCP are anti-DCI.

Once you move the curtain aside, we find that behind that curtain there has been nothing... NOTHING... thats been posted on DCP over the last 3 years that in my opinion that is even remotely as virulently,negatively, and potentially destructively " anti- DCI " than what the G7 architects said themselves about DCI in their own Powerpoint Presentation from 2 years ago... And of course those that are paying attention can't help but notice the sheer hypocrisy in this if any of these G7 Corps Directors, or those afiliated with these Corps, allegedly tell someone now that the majority of DCP are supposedly " anti DCI ". Oh the irony in this if true, huh ?

" Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive "

Walter Scott, 1808, Scottish Historical Novelist

Edited by BRASSO

Once you move the curtain aside, we find that behind that curtain there has been nothing... NOTHING... thats been posted on DCP over the last 3 years that in my opinion that is even remotely as virulently,negatively, and potentially destructively " anti- DCI " than what the G7 architects said themselves about DCI in their own Powerpoint Presentation from 2 years ago... And of course those that are paying attention can't help but notice the sheer hypocrisy in this if any of these G7 Corps Directors, or those afiliated with these Corps, allegedly tell someone now that the majority of DCP are supposedly " anti DCI ". Oh the irony in this if true, huh ?

" Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive "

Walter Scott, 1808, Scottish Historical Novelist

you are assuming that it's only g7 corps who feel this way ( warranted or not ) this would be false. it spreads top to bottom as well as with WGI and many in DCA BUT I do think you are right , for the most part it is NOT against DCI, its usually about DCP . As I said warranted or not.

My own personal opinion ( which means nothing lol ) it seems much better lately than it's ever been. Maybe the perception will change a bit. Social media can be a blessing or a curse which we all have seen in the activity and just in general.