A 2-Day, Beginning of the Year Event That I'd Love To See

Just to be a complete jerk...how do you think these various proposals would play out among the various World-Class Corps? Who would be supportive...and who would respond "not a chance in h###"?

Edited by HornTeacher

Just to be a complete jerk...how do you think these various proposals would play out among the various World-Class Corps? Who would be supportive...and who would respond "not a chance in h###"?

LOL....honestly? I would be surprised if any would. top to bottom.ok maybe a few at the bottom MIGHT...lol

Agree. Counter proposal for "blind judging":

Every corps gets the same 3 minute piece with drill and guard work (all written by a DCI Emeritus panel who will not instruct or judge any of these corps for that season) . You must play, march and spin the production as written. All performers wear DCI issued black shorts, white tees, black baseball cap, black sneakers.

Corps are judged on the bottom box ( "how") only.

Compulsaries take place the night before each regional.

Heck, just bring back prelim drills!

Historical note (in G): In the pre-DCI days, corps shows were 11.5-13 min. In large contests, like VFW or AL championships (sometimes literally > 75 corps entered), instead of performing the full show, an abbreviated, 7 min prelim show was performed. It usually consisted of the the opener, drum solo (with a different drill to end up in the starting formation of the closer), followed by the corp's closer. That is part of the reason that shows always started in the side 1 end zone and ended in the side 2 end zone - kept the show moving along.

Historical note (in G): In the pre-DCI days, corps shows were 11.5-13 min. In large contests, like VFW or AL championships (sometimes literally > 75 corps entered), instead of performing the full show, an abbreviated, 7 min prelim show was performed. It usually consisted of the the opener, drum solo (with a different drill to end up in the starting formation of the closer), followed by the corp's closer. That is part of the reason that shows always started in the side 1 end zone and ended in the side 2 end zone - kept the show moving along.

omg I totally forgot the prelim drills....lol NOW I remember a corps on the field and another waiting on the starting line...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

No too much bias still in the process. Corps is in full uniform -- each plays their own show.

If you're truly looking for "blind judging" you can't give any of that flexibility. You have to do "compulsaries".

(note: I'm not actually in favor of such a process. But it's the only way you're going to get anything close to "blind judging".)

No too much bias still in the process. Corps is in full uniform -- each plays their own show.

If you're truly looking for "blind judging" you can't give any of that flexibility. You have to do "compulsaries".

(note: I'm not actually in favor of such a process. But it's the only way you're going to get anything close to "blind judging".)

I would suggest that most Drum Corps members / instructors / support staff / and fans would suggest that there have been 'Blind Judges' involved since the inception of the activity.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2

LOL....honestly? I would be surprised if any would. top to bottom.ok maybe a few at the bottom MIGHT...lol

I don't like making false inferences based on the response of another. But...this response fascinates me. I am guessing (and I may very well be totally wrong) that you are speaking from a standpoint of "nothing to gain, everything to lose," especially in terms of the very top Corps. Are you saying, therefore, that there IS a certain bit of "bias" (whether based on the name, history, reputation) which certain Corps enjoy, and the issue of suddenly becoming just an anonymous group MIGHT lead to those Corps not receiving scores which they would normally enjoy receiving? Not fighting at all with you, Guard...but this is the question in my own mind, and the one which inspired the initial idea behind this thread. In any event, thank you for playing along. What do we have for our contestant, Johnny?....

Edited by HornTeacher

I don't like making false inferences based on the response of another. But...this response fascinates me. I am guessing (and I may very well be totally wrong) that you are speaking from a standpoint of "nothing to gain, everything to lose," especially in terms of the very top Corps. Are you saying, therefore, that there IS a certain bit of "bias" (whether based on the name, history, reputation) which certain Corps enjoy, and the issue of suddenly becoming just an anonymous group MIGHT lead to those Corps not receiving scores which they would normally enjoy receiving? Not fighting at all with you, Guard...but this is the question in my own mind, and the one which inspired the initial idea behind this thread. In any event, thank you for playing along. What do we have for our contestant, Johnny?....

well , bias? well all might have a little, admitting it or not BUT I think in some cases none would put the time into it, i dont think that some would want to take any chances early on, top or bottom, mainly because people finish things at their own pace and that is usually determined on a boat load of things which can vary drastically corps to corps. Dynamics are very different within corps. I have taught ALOT ..lol..and no 2 have ever been the same. BUT I do think your idea is interesting and if forced it would be kind of fun to watch .

Agree. Counter proposal for "blind judging":

Every corps gets the same 3 minute piece with drill and guard work (all written by a DCI Emeritus panel who will not instruct or judge any of these corps for that season) . You must play, march and spin the production as written. All performers wear DCI issued black shorts, white tees, black baseball cap, black sneakers.

Corps are judged on the bottom box ( "how") only.

Compulsaries take place the night before each regional.

Though we have discussed that we are only speaking in hypothetical situations, the only problem with this is that most corps would not want to waste precious rehearsal time by producing a brand new show. It has been done in the past (i.e. Cadets 1996), but it could create issues if the entire organization participated in such an event.

But to counter my previous statement, if each corps was forced to participate, then it would be an even playing field.