DrumScorps - coming soon to Windows Phone

Small update for everyone:

I plan to submit v1.0 of the app to the Windows Phone Store this weekend. Depending on how long it takes to get approved, it should be available in the store Monday or Tuesday. I will post a download link and QR code here when its available.

• Like 2

Small update for everyone:

I plan to submit v1.0 of the app to the Windows Phone Store this weekend. Depending on how long it takes to get approved, it should be available in the store Monday or Tuesday. I will post a download link and QR code here when its available.

This is so great! Thanks!

Man, this is awesome. Now if only someone would make a beautiful app for Android! iOS has their own app, now Windows, but Android still has nothing.

I don't supposed you're versed in more than one operating system, are you? :)

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in. Mods, please move to the correct forum if need be.

After realizing there was only one option in the Windows Phone Store for getting DCI scores (which I'm not sure works or not), I took it upon myself create an app that would do just that, with the goal of keeping it simple and easy to use. I'm hoping to get some feedback from the community here on DCP on new features, improvements, etc. The first version of the app should be in the Windows Phone Store within a week (just in time for the upcoming season) as I'm still tidying up a few things. So what can the first version of the app do?

• Get the latest DCI scores of course! The app hooks directly into the DCI scores webpage. Once scores are posted on DCI.org, they will show up in the app within a few minutes.
  • That's it for now! (This is where you come into play)
I am planning to release several updates to the app with the following features already being worked on:
  • Live tile support - show scores from the most recent event in a live tile. The tile will cycle through scores from the previous day
  • Lock screen support - show scores from the most recent events on your lockscreen
  • Historical scores - the ability to search through historical DCI scores
If you have any idea on useful features and additions, please comment below! I've added a couple of screenshots of the current working version of the app. Keep in mind it may look slightly different once it releases in a week or so. I intend to add some background images of corps, stadiums, etc. to give the app a little more pop. Thanks for your feedback in advance!

23m0z1l.png240ys5k.png

Insightful, ambitious. I admire you.

Hi everyone. The first version of the app has been submitted to the Windows Phone Store and is awaiting certification. This usually takes 2-3 days so I'm expecting the app to go live in the store come Monday or Tuesday. I was able to integrate a couple new features into this first version.

• Historical scores - you can now choose a year to view scores from. For now, the app just has scores from 2013 and 2014. The next update will include LOTS more historical scores.
  • Recaps - in application bar at the bottom of the scores page, you can choose to view the recap. For now, clicking the menu item just open Internet Explorer to the dci.org recap page for the event. Hopefully in the future I can make the experience a bit more seamless and integrate recaps directly into the app.

Another update should follow in about a week adding live tile support.

Here are a couple of screenshots of this first version of the app. Not much different than the earlier screenshots except for some backgrounds added and the year chooser. As always, I am eager to hear any feedback you may have on the app, including look and feel, features, etc. Thanks!

2uh1w69.png2i7mpg1.png

Edited by drewboo127
  • Like 1

Just curioius, do you get the scores and enter them into a server manually? Or do you have some way of automatically retrieving them from DCI?

I created a service that parses the dci.org scores page and extracts event and score information from the raw HTML. The service then converts the data to a cleaner format (XML) and uploads these XML files to a web server. The DrumScorps app then uses these XML files to get event and score info. The service runs about once every 15 minutes so once the scores are posted on dci.org, they will be available in the app in no more than 15 minutes.

Parsing raw HTML is not the easiest or most reliable way to get the scores (if dci.org changes their HTML structure, I have to update my service) but as far as I could tell, is the only way to get the info at this time. Sure would be nice if DCI had a web service that could be queried for the scores, but I'm pretty sure I'm dreamin' on that one :smile:

Edited by drewboo127
  • Like 1

I don't supposed you're versed in more than one operating system, are you? :)

An Android app is a possibility. Although not in my wheelhouse like Windows programming with C# is, I've developed in Java before and will consider making an Android app.

Please do consider it. I find it surprising that there isn't something out there for android users yet.

I don't. Android is a mess.

• Like 2