General Effect 1 & 2?

Well this isn't a high school popularity contest.

....or IS IT? :poke: ( A different type of popularity contest)

Yeah, you are right. Sometimes I, and I think a lot of people, start getting caught up in the competition...I guess that's just a human nature thing.

Only one corps is going to win, and there are going to be 20 something other WC corps that won't, but 100% of corps will end their season with their heads held high and full of great memories and experiences.

I have to remind myself to not sweat the small stuff.

There will never be a perfect judging system. :-( The only thing that will ever be successful is that which brings more fans to the activity and still maintains high standards and still keeps DCI what it is supposed to be.

But I would still like to see a detailed judging criteria if anyone knows a link where they might be.

Thanks all.

But I guess to stay on topic, since GE is so subjective, if they had two of them, makes it more balanced. They should have more. Have 10 judges for each caption. Then divide it all up. That might help.

Yeah, you are right. Sometimes I, and I think a lot of people, start getting caught up in the competition...I guess that's just a human nature thing.

Only one corps is going to win, and there are going to be 20 something other WC corps that won't, but 100% of corps will end their season with their heads held high and full of great memories and experiences.

I have to remind myself to not sweat the small stuff.

There will never be a perfect judging system. :-( The only thing that will ever be successful is that which brings more fans to the activity and still maintains high standards and still keeps DCI what it is supposed to be.

But I would still like to see a detailed judging criteria if anyone knows a link where they might be.

Thanks all.

But I guess to stay on topic, since GE is so subjective, if they had two of them, makes it more balanced. They should have more. Have 10 judges for each caption. Then divide it all up. That might help.

sometimes in WGI its done that way for major shows double panels.

Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe I just don't know what is entertaining and probably should leave it up to others to decide what's good for me.

You are mistakenly equating "entertaining" with "high scoring." If it is entertaining to you, then why bother caring what a show scores?

Because it's part of the experience for those who march?

Most of the activity's purpose is to instill those values of hard work and dedication to achieve goals. Improving your score is the payoff for the hard work, it shows that your hard work is paying off. Having inaccurate scores is rude and disrespectful to those who pay $3,000 + to slave over a field all summer.

For all the harping we do on the judging--on the macro level they pretty much get it right according to most reactions (even on here). If we really think about awarding the winner to who is most entertaining, think of it this way:

For the academy awards, do they give best picture to the film that sold the most tickets, because that is easily arguably the best way to judge entertainment value--how many went to see it? And it doesn't happen in one night, so folks tell others how "entertaining" it was and therefore lend credibility to that belief. In 2013 that film was "The Hunger Games, Catching Fire". Is anyone willing to argue that was the best film of 2013?

I don't always agree with the champion choice due to my personal tastes and likes. If I look at the overall top 12 and even the placement in general, its really hard to credibly argue that it is off by any significance.

Remember that the corps themselves choose how they will be judged. What more could you ask for?

Edited by Wadep66
  • Like 1