DCI West - Stanford, CA

BK threw down!! Can't wait to see the closer!

Go Xmen!!!

• Like 1

It's 2014.... Narration helps tell the story. Drum Corps has evolved.. People we dont march with tympani anymore. Get use to Narration.

And most of us can watch movies without other people sitting next to us telling us exactly what we're supposed to be seeing. If the audience isn't getting it, that's usually a sign of failure. The best silent film directors prided themselves on using fewer titles to provide "dialog" for the audience - they tried to make the work understandable using visual design and performance.

YMMV, of course.

Edited by Slingerland

Trying to figure out what all those panels on the left side of the field added to the show, other than cluttering up the field.

It will make sense in the future....
  • Like 1

Pretty solid show from BK. The drill actually looks really promising from the high cam. I bet the new uniforms look really good in person, but kind of hard to tell from the stream.

What was the narrator's text from? I got so tired of the circle poem last summer that they read like 80,000 times during the show. At least the text covers more ground this year.

I really enjoyed BK... their Visual design might be their achilles heel this year, despite the good use of color throughout, and some real nice musical arrangements.

I don't know... I think its one of the changes I can live with. Its not synthetic or artificial, and it IS a real, honest to goodness on field performer that is being promoted in the show with the mic'ed solo.

I'm not opposed to it in principal. I just think it is hard to use it right without jarring the audience with an out of balance solo.

It will make sense in the future....

I wish I could get all the inside scoop every year :music:

and GO BONES!

• Like 1

I'm waiting for a corps' narration to be all about what they are doing and why at that point in the show.

"Now we're going to play a run of 16th notes up and down all the voices because that helps us in Box <x> on the sheets"

"Now watch as the horns do unnecessary and low-quality body movement and dance to enhance the GE score"

"Here comes the mandatory solo dancer"

• Like 2