Crown's hornline?

Well that makes two of us now, doesn't it - given not only YOUR posting history but your username and your banner as well.

In short: you might be the wrong person to be waving the "bias" flag. ;-)

I wasn't trying to imply that you're biased. I was implying that you have a tendency to hit the 'post' button before you've had a chance to really think about what it is you're about to say.

I wasn't trying to imply that you're biased. I was implying that you have a tendency to hit the 'post' button before you've had a chance to really think about what it is you're about to say.

Typical evasion of discussion. Turn this into a discussion about the person posting rather than address and discuss the topic. If you want to make this about me, that's fine. The hornlines being discussed will speak for themselves (and already are).
  • Like 2

The hornlines being discussed will speak for themselves (and already are).

Now there is something we both agree on.

So I'm a percussion guy, haven't really gotten into the being able to tell a REALLY good hornline from the good ones part of being a music major, but it seems like Bluecoats have pretty solid one this year. Maybe I should ask this after tomorrow where we hear a REALLY good recording, but thoughts on them?

Edited by DrumManTx

So I'm a percussion guy, haven't really gotten into the being able to tell a REALLY good hornline from the good ones part of being a music major, but it seems like Bluecoats have pretty solid one this year. Maybe I should ask this after tomorrow where we hear a REALLY good recording, but thoughts on them?

Haven't heard them yet but I have ALWAYS liked the hornlines Bluecoats put on the field. :-)
  • Like 1

I agree, Coats horn line is fantastic, and often underrated in my opinion.

As others have said (including those who overall disagree with me)...Crown does not have "the book" this year. It's not even close to the level of content as the last 2 (even 3) years. I think I timed a total of about 4.02 minutes where the hornline doesn't even play a note. That's not a "winning horn book" in my opinion.

Please tell me you're kidding, right?

If you've seen or heard "the book" yourself, then you'd know this is complete bull honkey. Yes, what they're attempting isn't even comparable to last season, or 2012, or 2011, because it's actually 3x more challenging. Listen to the closer for cripes sake. Then listen to the part where they have nearly 70 trumpets on the field playing running notes (oh, you didn't even notice that part? -- watch the show again). Let me help you out, that's students who normally play instruments such as contras, euphs, etc. that are all playing on a mouthpiece cup size up to 4x smaller than they're used to, shifting embouchures, playing balanced and in tune running notes, and then going back immediately to their native instrumentation like nothing ever happened. As a brass player, have you ever TRIED something like that in your life? Oh, but "the book" isn't even as comparable. BS. BS... and BS again.

And your 4.02 minutes claim is crap. Prove it to me, please. Because I've been around them and I'll tell you it's just FLAT OUT wrong. And stop counting the preshow before the announcement if that's your coy trick. Sure, we can all be slick and twist stuff around to make ourselves feel better about another corps, but my lord, at least give these kids the props they deserve even if you don't like the show. Because that's completely fine, and I can at least respect that. But seriously, they're literally doing stuff that has never been done on the field before. Ever. Not by The Cadets, not by the Blue Devils, not by anyone. The show is dirty right now, and it's June. Give it a break already.

• Like 2

Please tell me you're kidding, right?

If you've seen or heard "the book" yourself, then you'd know this is complete bull honkey. Yes, what they're attempting isn't even comparable to last season, or 2012, or 2011, because it's actually 3x more challenging. Listen to the closer for cripes sake. Then listen to the part where they have nearly 70 trumpets on the field playing running notes (oh, you didn't even notice that part? -- watch the show again). Let me help you out, that's students who normally play instruments such as contras, euphs, etc. that are all playing on a mouthpiece cup size up to 4x smaller than they're used to, shifting embouchures, playing balanced and in tune running notes, and then going back immediately to their native instrumentation like nothing ever happened. As a brass player, have you ever TRIED something like that in your life? Oh, but "the book" isn't even as comparable. BS. BS... and BS again.

And your 4.02 minutes claim is crap. Prove it to me, please. Because I've been around them and I'll tell you it's just FLAT OUT wrong. And stop counting the preshow before the announcement if that's your coy trick. Sure, we can all be slick and twist stuff around to make ourselves feel better about another corps, but my lord, at least give these kids the props they deserve even if you don't like the show. Because that's completely fine, and I can at least respect that. But seriously, they're literally doing stuff that has never been done on the field before. Ever. Not by The Cadets, not by the Blue Devils, not by anyone. The show is dirty right now, and it's June. Give it a break already.

Right, their book is harder than last year. Sure.

You should talk to one of the students or staff directly, let them show you the music themselves. They'll let you compare it to 2013. They're nice guys like that, trust me.

If you're even an entry level brass player, you'd see it. I'm just surprised you're not hearing it right now. It's there. I think you're trying way too hard to discredit it though because of some other grudge. Oh well. Enjoy the season.

You should talk to one of the students or staff directly, let them show you the music themselves. They'll let you compare it to 2013. They're nice guys like that, trust me.

If you're even an entry level brass player, you'd see it. I'm just surprised you're not hearing it right now. It's there. I think you're trying way too hard to discredit it though because of some other grudge. Oh well. Enjoy the season.

It's DCP.2014 strategy. Acknowledge 2013 as amazing but paint it as some kind of fluke. Then choose off the menu:

• Show design is a retread.
  • Too much clutter.
  • Easy book.
  • No drill.

Then if anyone responds to you , just call them a honk (while you honk away for your own corps).

It's all good and it's kind of funny to watch the parrots line up and repeat each other.

There are a few posters who still post thoughtful commentary and critiques (and actually engage in a discussion).

Go DCP!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4