Crown's hornline?

Context is missing here . But oh well.

The context was perfect. Look at the first quote he made...

Then read the second and third for an ultimate twist of fate. :wow:

I get that this show isn't your cup of tea, bmjfelts1988. It is clear that you feel the show and the performance of the same are it seems over-rated in your eyes. You asked in your original post if it was yourself or is the brass weaker than previous years and I simply answered it wasn't. I answered it was you and the brass isn't weaker than last year.

I must ask was your question rhetorical in nature or were you looking for an answer?

you have been provided well thought out, detailed assessments from several folks about their takes on the Crown brass book and the performance of the same. If you happened to see the show announcement on Youtube from actual members of this years Crown brassline prior to spring training, most all of those members in the announcment confirmed a higher degree of difficulty of this years book compared to last year. one mellophone player actually saying "if you thought last years show was hard, you ain't seen anything yet" or something to that affect.

So, the bottom line is that you asked if it was just you or was the Crown brass line off from recent years?

1) current members indicate it is more difficult than last year

2) for the most part, those who have seen it live indicate a wonderful sound and a much more difficult book than in previous years, including 2013

3) Many fans of Crown and several of those who have been around for a while that are general fans of the activity have determined that the brass book is harder than 2013 and is still being performed and achieved at high levels, especially for June and there is a long way to go and summer ahead.

4) several fans that are clearly honks of other corps have confirmed that Crown picked up where they left off from last summer in terms of difficulty of their book and quality of their sound

so I feel that your question was answered throughout the thread. There are several corps having standout brass performances already this summer and it is just your own personal feelings and not that of the vast majority of people out there that Crown took a step back in brass this summer

Edited by Tone Quality Matters
  • Like 2

I finally got home for the Sacramento show and let me tell you SCV has a very fine hornline! BD no doubt will win it but I can see Vanguard in the thick of it.

I also was very impressed with Pacific Crest. Loud and clean!

No the first one WAS where the context was missing. It was in reply to someone who CLAIMED they were "playing nice" - which changes (and softens) the whole way the "delusional" comment comes across.

(gosh this place is petty. It's no wonder everyone makes fun of it)

Edited by bmjfelts1988

I get that this show isn't your cup of tea, bmjfelts1988. It is clear that you feel the show and the performance of the same are it seems over-rated in your eyes. You asked in your original post if it was yourself or is the brass weaker than previous years and I simply answered it wasn't. I answered it was you and the brass isn't weaker than last year....

Hold it! Stop right there. Yes, I saw your answer and chose to ignore it because you were already proven wrong by that time. I asked "is it JUST me"....and clearly, It's not "just" me. Several others on this thread have expressed the same feelings. I have not in any way been alone on this thread - thus your hyperbolic snarky response proved itself wrong. In fact, I'd say the meatiest pages of this thread have been evenly split between about 3 on one side and about 3 on the other. To say nothing of the fact that I keep coming back to "notifications" of people who have "liked" my posts on this thread. So no, your answer was wrong. It's NOT "just" me. I'm not alone in this as you presume.

I know what you're trying to do. You're trying to make it look like I'm outnumbered hundreds to one because if I were, it would prove that there is no discussion to the effect that Crown's hornline hasn't skipped a beat since last year. But the simple reality is, there IS......some "debate" on it and I imagine that's a hard pill to swallow for people who really want to believe Crown's hornline is untouchable.

As for the rest of your statements beyond where I snipped - yes, of COURSE the kids in the corps are going to say their book this year is harder. EVERY kid in every drum corps says that (especially in the off season to early season). So what? That's typical. I'm not going to put any stock in that. Especially when a kid is being "interviewed". Give me a break. What do you think they are going to say? "Our show is so much easier than last year? We don't even play for 4 minutes". Of course not. They are going to "hype it up"...AND...continue to try and hype THEMSELVES up (and they SHOULD do that). Talk about "bias". Of course. I'd scratch my head if a kid didn't have a little bias and want to believe their book is harder than the previous year. That's normal.....but doesn't mean it's reality, either. Perception catches up later in "hindsight 20/20". I'm sure everyone who has ever marched can think back to shows that at the time we thought "blew away the previous year" only to look back and eventually discern that the previous year was actually better. I'll put more stock into what those kids think in 10 years. Right now, they are too absorbed in what they are doing.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 1

LOL now THAT is funny! "Separation"? There was no separation with Star either. They TIED with the Blue Devils in brass for 2 of their last 3 years in the activity (91 and 93). "Separation"....people need to learn their history. If anything, there has been more separation with Crown seeing that they've comfortably won the Ott award 4 of the last 5 years. SEE? I'm still giving Crown their due credit. I just think 2014 might end the streak. So sue me.

You could try yoga... walking... mowing the grass works for me.

Just trying to help.

Actually the very best quote of the entire thread is when one of the posters defends his opinion as valid with other "smarter" people saying the same thing (after going on for pages about how he's not parroting anybody.) Freakin' lost it right there.

And I was just being sarcastic about the existence of the "script". Now I'm starting to wonder :ninja:

LOL Not really but it's still funny as hell.

Edited by corpsband

Ugh, this entire thread! However, I think Crowns brass line is more challenged and will be even better this year, IMO!

• Like 2