Crown's hornline?

My lord, this thread is still going? Have you found any more spots where Crown isn't playing to tell us about yet?

Look, here is where I'm at with this (in case I haven't made it clear enough). I was absolutely floored by Crown's hornline last year. One of my favorite lines of all time. I went into this season looking for much of the same and well,.........I was a bit.......disappointed. Maybe my opinion will change in August. We'll see. But again, not a big deal. Crown will be either 1st or 2nd in brass this year without a single doubt in my mind. Quite possibly 1st even though right now I'm calling it in Devils favor. And even if Crown does win the Ott this year, I think I still will most likely favor last year's line over this year. And no, "ToneQualityMatters", I'm not alone in those feelings. Even the judges so far...while there has been no "brass caption" yet, they've already lost twice to the Cadets. A reasonable sign that they are alreadynot as dominant as they were last year (at least yet).

It will be okay though. The sun still came out this morning. And it will tomorrow. We're having a "discussion" (or at least trying to) and it's an interesting one at that. Maybe we should all just relax a bit, no?

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 1

Are you saying my point in what you just replied to is not valid? Check some historical stats (91 - 93 to be exact). Stats prove that the post I was replying to (i.e., "Separation between Star and the rest of the world of brass in their day") was a gross exaggeration.

No...

I'm saying that the weight with which you are making your points is unimportant... and generally not necessary.

Doing something else for a little while might help.

I don't know how many times I've watched the preview show I downloaded, but if you just listen to it instead of watching, your going to pick up a lot more detail. There is some really neat trumpet runs through out the closer that I couldn't hear until I eliminated my sense of vision. With that gone, my brain was able to focus more on what I was hearing.Same goes for the subtle melody at the end of the ballad from the mellos.

Great commentary on the brassline and the rest of the corps. I listened in my car the other day and noticed the same stuff you mentioned. There are so many layers to the music writing it is out of control. IMO their is no weak link in the 2014 Carolina Crown. Of course I am a Carolina Crown homer with a son marching this year. Once they put a "crown" ending on the show it WILL be "out of this world", They better because The Bluecoats appear to have the best ending of a drum corps show in a long time!

No...

I'm saying that the weight with which you are making your points is unimportant... and generally not necessary.

Doing something else for a little while might help.

Please, I'm fine. I'm hardly the one getting my pants in a wad over this. How many times have I had to say "it will be okay"...."the sun will still rise"?

Doesn't the entire low brass line switch to high brass? (During the muffler percussion feature?) I would think they would need a little extra time to switch, get their chops set, etc. before playing on a smaller mouthpiece. I've done the trombone to trumpet switch in jazz band and it has its challenges.

Especially when there will be a brass judge who doesn't care what your primary instrument is, but only what you are playing now.

Just my $0.02.

Edit for autocorrect. :-(

All low brass do switch to soprano, I mean trumpet for the frisbee echo section. They leave their horns with the trampolines.

• Like 1

All low brass do switch to soprano, I mean trumpet for the frisbee echo section. They leave their horns with the trampolines.

Thanks. I had mistakenly heard earlier this season that the switch was some to trumpet and the rest to mello.

LOL now THAT is funny! "Separation"? There was no separation with Star either. They TIED with the Blue Devils in brass for 2 of their last 3 years in the activity (91 and 93). "Separation"....people need to learn their history. If anything, there has been more separation with Crown seeing that they've comfortably won the Ott award 4 of the last 5 years. SEE? I'm still giving Crown their due credit. I just think 2014 might end the streak. So sue me.

I wasn't talking about scores. I was speaking to MY perception as a listener. That's all. Star felt very ahead of the other lines back in the 90-93 era. In terms of what they were attempting and achieving. How that was reflected on score sheets of the time is beyond my comprehension. Heck I thought 1993 Star should have won finals by 5 points (and I'm a Cadets fan!) - they were just THAT far ahead and the crowd/dci community clearly needed some time to catch up. A lot of what we see on the field with Crown these days - the tilting in and out of files, the body movement, the gongs and bells all over the field, the middle voice runs - all made their debut from Star during that 4 year run.

• Like 1

I wasn't talking about scores. I was speaking to MY perception as a listener. That's all. Star felt very ahead of the other lines back in the 90-93 era. In terms of what they were attempting and achieving. How that was reflected on score sheets of the time is beyond my comprehension. Heck I thought 1993 Star should have won finals by 5 points (and I'm a Cadets fan!) - they were just THAT far ahead and the crowd/dci community clearly needed some time to catch up. A lot of what we see on the field with Crown these days - the tilting in and out of files, the body movement, the gongs and bells all over the field, the middle voice runs - all made their debut from Star during that 4 year run.

Well, I am definitely in disagreement with you on that. Oh well.