Crown's hornline?

One thing I think is worth pointing out is that the arranging of Klesch needs to be given a lot of credit here. Yes the hornline is fabulous, but there are many areas where to the listener it sounds a lot more difficult than it is due to some clever arranging and spreading runs out throughout the 1st/2nd/3rds and multiple voices. For example in last year's show when they are doing the fast run of notes, for each individual player it's not too difficult, nobody is really playing more then 8 or 12 16th notes in a row, its just going from section to section. The overall effect is more like everyone is doing 20s of nonstop runs however.

You can see it in the "Horn Cam" video from their encore at about 8:00. Again not taking away from the hornline as I could listen to them all day, but I want to give Klesch some credit too :-) (ok he was a mentor of mine at a very young age)

http://youtu.be/gjTI8PwQZrQ?t=7m57s

Edited by frachel

No, I didn't say that. I said that they have a similar "horn change". Go watch a video of the beginning of their show. I'm not going to do your homework for you. :wink: You'll figure it out eventually (I realize the videos thus far have been pretty high and perhaps not as easy to see everything going on). It's not the "entire hornline".....but does it matter whether it's all or part? A horn change is a horn change.

Not meaning to start an argument, but it's just mellos that don trumpets in BD's show. In modern drum corps, a large quantity of mello players are actually trumpet players, and at auditions, many corps require that a high brass player be ok with playing either (a trumpet player may audition on trumpet and get a mello spot and vice versa). Also, the two instruments in the post F/Bb switch are pretty easy to switch between. I can do it on the fly with no issue, and I'm nowhere near the talent level of those kids, today.

You gotta give credit where credit is due to Crown's brass. From what I've heard on videos, the moment where they switch is a little less perfect than the rest of the show, but by August, they should be comfortable with it. It's a darn impressive brass line. You may not enjoy the show or the writing, and it seems like there is difficulty for difficulty's sake at times, but if any respectable brass player can say that they are not an Ott calibre brass, I would immediately lose respect for that person.

Tldr: BD and Crown (and others) are both impressive. Disputing that makes you look like a super honk.

• Like 2

Tldr: BD and Crown (and others) are both impressive. Disputing that makes you look like a super honk.

It's a good thing I've been abundantly clear throughout this thread that I'm not disputing that, isn't it?

One thing I think is worth pointing out is that the arranging of Klesch needs to be given a lot of credit here. Yes the hornline is fabulous, but there are many areas where to the listener it sounds a lot more difficult than it is due to some clever arranging and spreading runs out throughout the 1st/2nd/3rds and multiple voices. For example in last year's show when they are doing the fast run of notes, for each individual player it's not too difficult, nobody is really playing more then 8 or 12 16th notes in a row, its just going from section to section. The overall effect is more like everyone is doing 20s of nonstop runs however.

You can see it in the "Horn Cam" video from their encore at about 8:00. Again not taking away from the hornline as I could listen to them all day, but I want to give Klesch some credit too :-) (ok he was a mentor of mine at a very young age)

http://youtu.be/gjTI8PwQZrQ?t=7m57s

Without a doubt, a fantastic arranger! :smile:

I must say the backpeddling in this thread is hilarious.

It's been a while since DCP had a savant like this to clarify his stance on the good world.

• Like 1

Forgive me for...
1349973813_bon-fire-gasoline.jpg

I couldn't let such a great source of entertainment fizzle out.

• Like 2

I must say the backpeddling in this thread is hilarious.

It's been a while since DCP had a savant like this to clarify his stance on the good world.

Boy you're just determined to turn this into a pissing match, aren't you? "Backpeddling"? Not from me. I've been clear from the beginning where I stand in all this and have not wavered once. But keep pissing. At least you will be amusing yourself.

Boy you're just determined to turn this into a pissing match, aren't you? "Backpeddling"? Not from me. I've been clear from the beginning where I stand in all this and have not wavered once. But keep pissing. At least you will be amusing yourself.

uuugh... (head in hands).

I'm trying to help you... as in the great Disney movie of the year... "Let it go"...

uuugh... (head in hands).

I'm trying to help you... as in the great Disney movie of the year... "Let it go"...

I'm fine. I don't need your help. I'm a big boy (and a very good debater :wink: ). Just trying to enjoy a little bit of drum corps discussion. That is why DCP exists, right?

I realize a lot of people probably don't like some of what I'm saying (especially when I post a recap that supports my points) and would thus, like to see this thread die. But if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. I have my opinion, am entited to DISCUSS my opinion on this forum as much as I want and for as long as I want. Don't like it? Find another thread to follow. At LEAST.....I'm trying to keep things civil (unlike others such as the gas can troll above).

Edited by bmjfelts1988