Live from Bayonne

Recap analysis:

Good lord, C2's guard has been their weakness the last two years, but THIS is ridiculous. It's one thing to not march your closer, but that number is reflective of a guard that did next to nothing the entire show. For a corps aiming to be a championship challenger, that is completely unacceptable.

<snipped remainder>

After watching Fusion and Cabs all afternoon, I watched C2's guard warm up and was looking forward to having a 3 horse race for top guard. I had hoped it was the sun in their eyes that was the cause of the problem, but it is many things IMO. They are very young, and many look like they may be new to guard in general. Their book is not complicated and could be comparable to a SRA book at this point, as there is no real meat for these ladies to bite into, take and run (I am hoping that changes as the season goes on). They are very incomplete, from maroon unitards, to the work, body work, dance all of it, the flags being the strongest of the section. That unfortunately is said in respect to the portion of the show the corps proper has on the field. IF the corps had arced to play the last number and the guard had spun it, that would have helped, but they went to a yard line and stood for the entire piece. Even if they had sat on the sideline it wouldn't have been as glaring a statement that they were so unfinished.

I really had higher expectations from C2. I know that they are young, and I have enormous respect for anyone jumping into an activity and learning it from scratch. It just seems that the guard tried to put out a product they have learned over the course of 2 or 3 weekends and needed a lot more concentrated time together. This has been a huge issue of mine with corps for a while now ~ it's not just C2. It is just that C2 guard was the big let down so far this season by comparison to what else has been out there.

• Like 1

from Liz:

"I really had higher expectations from C2. I know that they are young, and I have enormous respect for anyone jumping into an activity and learning it from scratch. It just seems that the guard tried to put out a product they have learned over the course of 2 or 3 weekends and needed a lot more concentrated time together. This has been a huge issue of mine with corps for a while now ~ it's not just C2. It is just that C2 guard was the big let down so far this season by comparison to what else has been out there."

Too many people have had this same observation for too long too just dismiss or accept it....

While we can not know the circumstances that led to this, it appears that in addition to instructional staff, this section needs a LEADER to get everyone working together......someone could have called the guard together on Thursday night and by themselves work out a mini routine for the final stand-still that would have shown the judges SOMETHING. Every extra tenth of a point on opening night gets magnified and carried into the season... Cabs and Fusion jumped three points each.... the C2 scores will always be short by the points not scooped up just for doing SOMETHING.

There is a long way to go and the C2 show of 2013 was one of my favorites......this was just missed opportunity to keep the gap smaller than it now is.

I really had higher expectations from C2.

You know, I did to. But after thinking about it this morning, maybe we shouldn't. After all, while they have certain been a competitive corps in their first two years, and were *criminally* underscored in Annapolis last year, in the end they are still a feeder corps, and one where it's clear they are training the next generation of Cadets as a priority.

It's easy to have lofty expectations because they are part of the Cadets organization. But is that really fair to the C2 corps itself? If the members and staff are happy with their process, and their end product is engaging and entertaining (they've certainly been both the first two years), maybe that's enough. After a lot of thought, I'm ok with it as a fan of the corps.

Edited by Kamarag

Felt really bad for the White Sabers, whose entire first half of the show was covered by drums hammering in the background. Surprised no one got a penalty for that. Their brass is really mature for this early and their flying start was highly effective. Huge ensemble tear in seg four probably held their score back from popping into the 72, 73 range.

Cadets2 was a disappointment, particularly their color guard. Their staff needs to start figuring things out if they wish to be competitive in this circuit.

Fusion should not have been so close to Cabs.

• Like 1

I actually thought about that for a while as I was writing the above. I debated including that sentence for quite a while. Part of it is THE NAME. But part of it really comes from the hope that when I bring a person to a show who either has not seen it before (or in the case of yesterday, their 3rd show ever), after talking about this activity for so long, that they will be blown away and want to go again. I need to stop bringing newbies to early season shows IMO. I wish there was a local show late in the season in NJ, so that they could get those WOW OMG moments. And possibly it is partially my fault, as I talk up this activity, share videos of finals performances with friends, so they don't get the 'this is where it starts and grows from there' view of the whole thing.

BUT that being said, I'm not saying that 8 corps for $15 or $18 is prohibitively expensive, but when shows are not complete it is difficult to rationalize to a newbie too. As someone said to me once, you don't pay $11 to go into a movie and get told you will have to pay another $11 in a few weeks to see how the movie ends. I didn't have an answer to that at the time and I still don't now. I don't know how one corps can get an almost completed show on the field and another is so incomplete aside to say it is knowing how to make the most of the rehearsal time you have. I don't want it to be that June shows disappear because no one is adequately prepared. Wiser people than I may have the answers, hopefully.

>> After a lot of thought, I'm ok with it as a fan of the corps (C2).<<

So ... with that in mind ... was the scoring of C2's incomplete/unfinished show an accurate reflection compared to the other corps ... in other words, for those captions where their score would be incomplete (like visual, guard, etc), were the spreads accurate with respect to the other corps ... I only ask because I do not know how the current sheets actually "score" a particular caption ... I was not at the show, so I have not idea of what portion of the show was not complete ...

Thanks in advance ...

:-)

As someone said to me once, you don't pay $11 to go into a movie and get told you will have to pay another $11 in a few weeks to see how the movie ends.

Unless it's The Hobbit.

Incompleteness of a certain show was bothersome to me as well, for personal reasons.

One thing I will say as a person on the field.....

ThankYou Crowd!

although some folks may be bean counting success or failure by numbers , those of us out there really appreciate the enthusiasm and interaction of the fans in the seats!

It was a beautiful night for DrumCorps and an enjoyable event!

frankiE

• Like 2

One thing I will say as a person on the field.....

ThankYou Crowd!

although some folks may be bean counting success or failure by numbers , those of us out there really appreciate the enthusiasm and interaction of the fans in the seats!

It was a beautiful night for DrumCorps and an enjoyable event!

frankiE

And thank YOU for the show. Was that you in the jester hat?