Live from Bayonne

>>Certainly as compared to Gary Indiana....let me say it once again!<<

Mike ... I didn't even know Gary was playing with C2 this year ... :dry:

Can someone answer the judging question I had posted earlier? ... based on what C2 performed that evening, was their spread from the other corps' scores appropriate/fair/ reasonable as judged on today's sheets?

Thanks ...

:-)

Every attempt by YEA to offer programs that work well for local Lehigh Valley residents is a GOOD thing! YEA has made great strides in developing options like this. In reality, how many Allentown Area kids each year could be expected to earn a spot with the DCI Cadets? Two, maybe three? Despite all the high focus shows that occur in the city, it's not really a 'drum corps kinda' town. Finding members for something like Cadets2 will be a challenge for some time, not to mention Bucs, Cabs, Skyliners, Fusion, Bushwackers, and probably others I am forgetting, all operating within a 90 minute radius.

Amen... we have another quality all-age corps during an age of loss after loss in the Northeast.

We should (in my opinion) be lauding the efforts of corps like C2 and Fusion, Windsor, and others.

Honestly, anyone can go to a DCA show in June and point out short-comings and incompletes. You could remind the world that corps were ready by Memorial Day with complete shows, and forget that the shows were simpler, the drills dramatically easier to march (as evidence of that I point out that even I had my drill learned by Memorial Day - no way I could do this spandex wearing, jazz running, leaping, spinning, yoga stuff now).

It's easy to criticize. It's tough to build - always has been - I remember Sun between 74 - 77 - anyone think that was easy? Bet we took some criticism along the way. Good thing there was no internet and we couldn't have afforded computers anyway.

God Bless 'em. I hope that C2 someday wins DCA. I also hope that Fusion does it, and Cabs, and Hurcs, and yes - my original alma mater, Sunrisers.

It won't happen because we dumped crap on their early season color guard or incomplete shows.

OK, climbing down carefully.

I also think a lot of you are missing a bigger point about C2. The cost. Their tuition is significantly higher than other organizations like Bucs or Cabs. Last I saw it was $1600 whereas Bucs and Cabs are around $800.

Why would I pay more for a corps that places lower? Especially when there are plenty of corps to choose from in the area. Not to mention these kids still need to pay for gas, food, etc to get there.

I think that's why they have membership issues.

• Like 1

Amen... we have another quality all-age corps during an age of loss after loss in the Northeast.

We should (in my opinion) be lauding the efforts of corps like C2 and Fusion, Windsor, and others.

Honestly, anyone can go to a DCA show in June and point out short-comings and incompletes. You could remind the world that corps were ready by Memorial Day with complete shows, and forget that the shows were simpler, the drills dramatically easier to march (as evidence of that I point out that even I had my drill learned by Memorial Day - no way I could do this spandex wearing, jazz running, leaping, spinning, yoga stuff now).

It's easy to criticize. It's tough to build - always has been - I remember Sun between 74 - 77 - anyone think that was easy? Bet we took some criticism along the way. Good thing there was no internet and we couldn't have afforded computers anyway.

God Bless 'em. I hope that C2 someday wins DCA. I also hope that Fusion does it, and Cabs, and Hurcs, and yes - my original alma mater, Sunrisers.

It won't happen because we dumped crap on their early season color guard or incomplete shows.

OK, climbing down carefully.

Ray

Its not so much a criticism on the guard BUT the staff. Last year and other years Cabs and others have been slammed for NOT being ready ( not full ) just not ready and this is why Bucs were slamming everyone right out of the gate. Then others couldn't catch up. So corps like Cabs and Fusion finally took it serious and came out fighting. Results!

I think many think for a number of reasons C2 also has this potential , maybe more so and with resources available to them as well as young fresh talent even though they are new to DCA they could and should be kickin butt already or more than they are. They may come the end , who knows BUT as I said IF you have an issue year 1 then the same year 2 all through the season, you start with that as a fix the following year not repeat it.....jmo

• Like 2

>>Certainly as compared to Gary Indiana....let me say it once again!<<

Mike ... I didn't even know Gary was playing with C2 this year ... :dry:

Can someone answer the judging question I had posted earlier? ... based on what C2 performed that evening, was their spread from the other corps' scores appropriate/fair/ reasonable as judged on today's sheets?

Thanks ...

:-)

I wasn't there, but I'd imagine so

I also think a lot of you are missing a bigger point about C2. The cost. Their tuition is significantly higher than other organizations like Bucs or Cabs. Last I saw it was $1600 whereas Bucs and Cabs are around $800.

Why would I pay more for a corps that places lower? Especially when there are plenty of corps to choose from in the area. Not to mention these kids still need to pay for gas, food, etc to get there.

I think that's why they have membership issues.

1600 is alot and maybe more than others BUT I know many winter guards and percussion lines paying that and more. I get what you are saying and agree BUT also they may be doing things for them like more bus transportation, feeding, school lodging that other corps dont do...not sure...But you are right whatever it is people need to get what they pay for. I dont think its a membership issue so much although if they opened it up to all age ( and I get and is their right to do as they wish ) they would be turning people away. I would bet anything on that...jmo

1600 is alot and maybe more than others BUT I know many winter guards and percussion lines paying that and more. I get what you are saying and agree BUT also they may be doing things for them like more bus transportation, feeding, school lodging that other corps dont do...not sure...But you are right whatever it is people need to get what they pay for. I dont think its a membership issue so much although if they opened it up to all age ( and I get and is their right to do as they wish ) they would be turning people away. I would bet anything on that...jmo

true...when you factor in food bought on the road, gas etc for those that don't bus everywhere, it can equal $1600 if not more. So in the end, it really does even out

true...when you factor in food bought on the road, gas etc for those that don't bus everywhere, it can equal $1600 if not more. So in the end, it really does even out

yeah, imagine if we added up just a few weekends what we spent driving ourselves, feeding ourselves etc etc

Ray

Its not so much a criticism on the guard BUT the staff. Last year and other years Cabs and others have been slammed for NOT being ready ( not full ) just not ready and this is why Bucs were slamming everyone right out of the gate. Then others couldn't catch up. So corps like Cabs and Fusion finally took it serious and came out fighting. Results!

I think many think for a number of reasons C2 also has this potential , maybe more so and with resources available to them as well as young fresh talent even though they are new to DCA they could and should be kickin butt already or more than they are. They may come the end , who knows BUT as I said IF you have an issue year 1 then the same year 2 all through the season, you start with that as a fix the following year not repeat it.....jmo

You don't owe me any explanation. I'm old. This is what I have left. I've played, taught, judged, and been a dad. Sometimes I drove the trucks, although never as the only thing I was doing.

My only point, which may be worth zero to anyone but myself is that we have the right to be critical - it's almost all a forum like this is for, but I'm just so tired of it.

It's so easy. And once in a while when the corps overcomes the early season challenges and succeeds you read "whoopsie - my bad" or more often, fuggedaboudit - it's back on page 11 out of 325.

I don't see anything positive that comes out of criticism on these pages, but that's just me.

George isn't reading this (unless his name is in it when he Googles himself) and changing staff members.

The thing is - it has become difficult to maintain a quality all-age corps in the 21st Century. I'm grateful to have newer corps coming along.

If there's anything to the butterfly effect, when we lose a corps from this activity I don't want to be the one that added anything negative.

Love 'em all - want just the best for them. I just don't feel any better about criticising them for doing what I did for decades - some seasons I seemed like I knew what I was doing - some seasons? I probably got rocked on RAMD. Wait - I KNOW I did!

yeah, imagine if we added up just a few weekends what we spent driving ourselves, feeding ourselves etc etc

Besides, honest, it's a market economy. The kid whose family is paying that money to C2 is not (necessarily) someone that Reading or Hawthorne lost. He or she is an additional kid in our activity whose family decided they could pay those fees.

It's America, baby! You pay your money you get your ticket. Don't like the fees? You have options.

• Like 1