Tone down the scale of Props!

I saw some pictures on facebook of problems with props. The time is now to enforce any and all penalties that props may cause.

In the pictures there was a logjam at the service entrance to the field with props going in and coming out. Another picture depicted a trampoline where the legs could not be unfolded and required extra help from the corps staff.

My proposal is to enforce penalties with regard to timing - when the corps is scheduled to perform, they better be ready, if not, be prepared to accept penalties for any problems. This may include penalties for too many persons on the field (including an overage disqualification if perhaps a staff member tries to help and is on the competition field).

AND to reinforce this, DO NOT MAKE RULES CHANGES to accommodate the time it takes to set up. This will keep the scale of props in check. Never mind that I'm old school and I don't like props. There are practical reasons for my objection. The drama associated with getting in and out of the stadium makes for a spectacle that detracts from the performance. People may start watching the logjam rather than the currently performing corps. Widening the time between corps just for setup will ruin the pacing of the show. Imagine watching a football game where there were ten minutes between EACH PLAY. Shows would run longer and spectators will get home later. Corps will leave the venue later, especially top tier corps who perform later (and we wouldn't want to p!$$ off the top corps would we?). But the solution could be to start earlier. That seven o'clock show could always start at 4 PM. If its a weekday, the show will start with an empty stadium.

But there's more! I've heard from one contest director that is concerned about having room in the parking lot for all the trucks for props. The paying customers may not have a place to park. Some venues may then have trouble with the local community with all the parked cars in the neighborhood. And then there's the damage the moving equipment can do to the field. The venue sponsor is on the hook for any damage corps create to the athletic facilities.

There, I feel better.

I would be curious to hear everyone's thoughts, especially people that disagree. I would also like to hear about solutions to the problems that I have mentioned.

Edited by Cavie74
  • Like 3

I'm in total agreement. This is just me but I have yet to see a single prop that actually enhanced a DCI drum corps show. I see all props as nothing more than a distraction.

• Like 1

I'm in total agreement. This is just me but I have yet to see a single prop that actually enhanced a DCI drum corps show. I see all props as nothing more than a distraction.

IMO Bluecoats 2014 props are kind of cool. They aren't too big though so I don't see any issues with the logistics of getting them on and off the field.

• Like 2

IMO Bluecoats 2014 props are kind of cool. They aren't too big though so I don't see any issues with the logistics of getting them on and off the field.

The Cadets stage is nothing now compared to all the s$&t corps are bringing onto the field but overall, I agree that Bluecoats ramps really exemplify the "Tilt" concept which is a hard thing to do with just music and drill/ marching. They get my props of the year award. Edited by theCHEZman

Bluecoats this year. The triangle ramps on the field are simple but very effective.

Otherwise I'm in agreement with the OP. Those who want to use large pieces of scenery should have them designed to require no additional time to set up on the field, not require significant additional loading room in the lot, and allow for smooth moving in/moving out transitions between corps.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

I'm almost certain that there are still timing penalties in place.

And this statement... "all the trucks for props." Do you really believe this? Back up off the edge of the cliff for a moment.

I'll use Cavaliers as an example. They have three semis a Penske rental truck and the souvie trailer.

Semi number one contains the uniforms, drums, horns and tractor for the pit.

Semi number two has a huge open area for all the pit instruments.

Semi number three is the food truck.

The Penske truck contains a lot of extra "stuff" they need for tour.

At a contest they need room for the two semi's and the souvie trailer. That's requires a lot of maneuvering room in a parking lot. Go to your local high school and see if they can handle room for six semis near the footbal field; Room for the two semis for the corps that just finished performing, two for the performing corp, two for the corps about to perform.

Now consider room for a dozen GIANT stacks of poker chips or enough picnic tables to feed the stadium or enough mirrors to get you bored with yourself ...

Edited by Cavie74
  • Like 1

I'm not sure this whole props thing should be an issue...except to those who just don't like props in a show.

Most of the OP's objections can be addressed by existing rules...timing penalties, rules about damage to the field, etc.

In regard to possible bottlenecks and the distraction they might cause...well, let me just say that if I've paid money to see a drum corps show my eyes will be on the field. Not on the entrance/exit.

And I really have to wonder...just how many "props" truck are we talking about? BK doesn't have special vehicles for their props, though I suppose corps with more elaborate props might have...what?...one extra vehicle?

The fur will fly when penalties are enforced.

The obvious objection for corps "A" is that corps "B" got in their way and they couldn't set up in time. How come corps "B" didn't get a penalty?

There will be plenty of finger pointing and accusations of "gaming" the system to force penaties on others. The real action will be in the parking lot where a truck may be slow clearing out of the way or some other creative activity.

If DCI decides to look the other way with regard to schedule enforcement, the corps will continue to push the boundaries. Mark my words, the gap between performances will increase "In the interest of artistic expression".

Edited by Cavie74

At a contest they need room for the two semi's and the souvie trailer. That's requires a lot of maneuvering room in a parking lot. Go to your local high school and see if they can handle room for six semis near the footbal field; Room for the two semis for the corps that just finished performing, two for the performing corp, two for the corps about to perform.

Do corps actually rotate Semis during the show? Not like it's real fun getting those big boys thru a parking lot with cars around. Always thought once they are parked... they are parked until the shows over.

s/ son of heavy equipment operator and cousin of some Semi drivers.....