Tone down the scale of Props!

I don't want to see the elimination of props. They can work wonders for a show, and at times they can get in the way. But the OP's point is a good one. Traveling with props can be tricky, especially when they are big and/or you have a lot of them. Getting them on the field in time for the show to begin, and off the field to allow timely setup for the next corps can also be tricky. Finding helpers to do this can be difficult, even costly, unless volunteer help grows on trees with your organization.

Logistics do need to be considered. We likely can't afford for shows to get longer. The average fans will not come as often.

• Like 1

I'm in total agreement. This is just me but I have yet to see a single prop that actually enhanced a DCI drum corps show. I see all props as nothing more than a distraction.

SCV 2013? the ballad was beautiful as the corps were hidden in the backfield by the props.

SCV 89? The prop made the entire finale amazing.

To the question at hand. If the corps has the means to have the extra prop truck, then they should get it. I doubt any corps is going to go hm... we could get another truck but we will be in financial trouble if we do...

it is expensive, renting the truck, all the gas, and you need another driver.

But some stadiums more easily fit these props than others, in both the lot and in the tunnel.

The distraction issue is not that much of an issue. The corps bring their pit's out anyway before the other show ends. If that isn't a distraction but bringing props out is a distraction, then there is something wrong here.

As long as the venues know about this beforehand, it should be fine. If they were expecting 3 trucks per corps, and end up getting 4, it becomes an issue. But if you can prepare for it, it becomes fine. Maybe they will need to go to venues that can handle the equipment. Although I can hardly see a venue outright canceling because there are a couple more trucks than there were 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Crown posted on their blog that they spent parts of several practices working on the logistics of getting their props in and out of the field. Thats something that corps of yesteryear never had to consider. And its valuable time that could have been used to work on any area of their show

Crown posted on their blog that they spent parts of several practices working on the logistics of getting their props in and out of the field. Thats something that corps of yesteryear never had to consider. And its valuable time that could have been used to work on any area of their show

Seeing as how their props are very much a part of their show, working out the logistics of how to get them on and off the field is worthwhile. they clearly think the show will be less complete without the props. if it is the option of time penalty, not having the props, or spending some time figuring out how to enter the field, only one of these options seems to make sense as the DCI season is about the long game not the short one.

Eh, none of this is really a big deal. Things are a little more lax early season because corps don't always know how they'll operate logistically, but when things really kick into gear, it's a well-oiled machine.

But we paid good money for our early season show tickets!

Well, it turns out that most things kind of suck early season. :silly: From the foot timing to the logistics. That's how the game works, and it isn't going to change, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a staffer or member anywhere who would want it another way.

I've always been generally anti-prop, but man... those Bluecoats... *drools openly*

• Like 1

Other than Star with giant gerbil wheels, Star with giant circus wagons, SCV with giant red poppies, SCV with giant Russian building sets, Sky Ryders with West Side Story scaffolding, etc. etc., etc.

Everyone is in the figuring out stage currently with the logistics. If the props become too much of a hassle for any corps, they'll ditch them.

To the question at hand. If the corps has the means to have the extra prop truck, then they should get it. I doubt any corps is going to go hm... we could get another truck but we will be in financial trouble if we do...

Sounds like the same thing that was said about electronics, pits, etc, etc.... Problem is if your corps doesn't have all the "items" as other corps it can be seen as a handicap. Could not having these items hurt score wise as those item could add to the effect score. And people/potential members could look at a corps not having said items and think "Why doesnt' corps X have everything corps Y has?. Doesn't the staff know how to use it or can't they afford it?."

Summer is long and corps rehearse more efficiently now, with five-week move-ins to boot. That time isn't valuable; it's a drop in a very large bucket.

Sounds like the same thing that was said about electronics, pits, etc, etc.... Problem is if your corps doesn't have all the "items" as other corps it can be seen as a handicap. Could not having these items hurt score wise as those item could add to the effect score. And people/potential members could look at a corps not having said items and think "Why doesnt' corps X have everything corps Y has?. Doesn't the staff know how to use it or can't they afford it?."

There are more ways than just that to generate effect. Ever watch a Cavaliers show during the Gaines era?