Evansville, IN

that was the other odd thing i noticed. How can EVERYONE out perform a show this early?

Judged music analysis last night and did the same thing.

That is odd. In the fall there was a marching band judge in our circuit who did something similar, and when confronted after the show he had no clue how we could possibly think that a higher performance sub-caption score than a comp. score could be interpreted as out-playing design. However, that judge was somewhat not super competent; I don't want to make a similar correlation to the DCI judge w/out hearing a tape or hearing what they have to say. But I guess maybe it's possible that judge does not understand that common interpretation of higher achievement/lower comp = members performing better than the design.

I personally have never heard anyone interpret that phenomena in any other way; has anyone else?

If they didn't have a field judge, and there was one judge judging visual ensemble and performance at the same time, then I can see how he might judge the design as "comp" and "achievement" being the dirtyness in footwork, posture, etc, stuff that a field judge would judge.

But GE??? How can this guys' scores be that far off of the other?

I remember when I toured as a volunteer with a Top 12 corps and hearing about some of the staff members becoming verbally disgruntled about certain judges.

It can be frustrating when you have judges that are out of alignment with other judges, etc. It's not fun to be around a disgruntled caption head who has done just about everything he/she can to improve the corps, only to have a judge do that. Sometimes they take it personally.

This is why DCI should take the judging aspect of drum corps more seriously. And it's not the fact that it's "just a score", or even if it is arbitrary, it's the fact that these staff members need critique from competent judges to work off of, to improve the corps. Incompetent judges aren't helping anyone.

Anyways, that's my rant for the night.

There is stuff to be said about the judges every year, but this season it's not even because of people being offended by the scores their team got. This is just awful. You can't even make sense out of this kind of stuff.

For those who have seen both, Is Madison really 2.7 better than Blue Stars?

I've seen Madison, but have not seen Blue Stars.

Madison has a very visually easy show. Music wise, it's pretty decent.

Knowing the Blue Stars, they tend to put out visual programs that are meant to challenge the members.

So it would not surprise me if the Blue Stars has a much more visually difficult show, but were dirtier than the Scouts.

Madison's visual program I would have to say would be hard pressed to even compete for Finals. Good thing they have a good musical program. I did enjoy their music at the theater, was very nice.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

what are they the second string?

Cesario said they've added 32 (iirc) new apprentice judges this year. (Listening to FieldPass when he's on is worth it. Other times...meh).

People gripe when you have the same old folks out there who've judged for 40 years. Then they gripe when the new blood don't have it down pat after the first show or two. Give it time.

• Like 4

Cesario said they've added 32 (iirc) new apprentice judges this year. (Listening to FieldPass when he's on is worth it. Other times...meh).

People gripe when you have the same old folks out there who've judged for 40 years. Then they gripe when the new blood don't have it down pat after the first show or two. Give it time.

Yeah, I concede that you make a good point.

• Like 1