Southwest Corps Connection - Mesa, AZ

Is it for sure SCV will have their full show?

They learned it on tuesday and had yesterday to "get it down". So I would be surprised if they still waited.

I caught The Academy's dress rehearsal of "Vanity Fair", their completed show last night at Mesa Community College. Having followed the Academy since 2004, I have to say this is their finest show and musical book since they won Div. II Title in 2006 with "DanZon". The design team has put together an incredible and simply beautiful show. Concerns: this is a very young Corps average age 17. The percussion line (entire rookie snare line) features two 15-year olds. Strengths: The Guard of approx. 35 performers are decked out in costumes of share beauty and elegance and handle the equipment quite well. The 70-member Brass line is solid and by the end of season should be blowing people away. While the entire package is extremely entertaining the pre-show, opener and closer should bring a few folks out of their seats. The front ensemble of 11 is EXTREMLEY strong and talented. It has one particular feature that will put a smile on every face .I will be touring with the Corps through their first 8-shows leading up to DATR in Denver. I'm guessing their debut performance this evening at Mesa Community College should score in the low 60 range.(but. I believe they have the potential to score higher--will see.)

FYI: I marched Simplex Minutemen of Gardner, MA from 1965-71 Bass Drum and 24" cymbals, served on the BOD of Arizona Sun 1991-93.

Yes, I'm old...but the activity has kept me feeling young over that past 41 years.

Have a Good Show Everyone.....Enjoy!

• Like 4

I caught The Academy's dress rehearsal of "Vanity Fair", their completed show last night at Mesa Community College. Having followed the Academy since 2004, I have to say this is their finest show and musical book since they won Div. II Title in 2006 with "DanZon". The design team has put together an incredible and simply beautiful show. Concerns: this is a very young Corps average age 17. The percussion line (entire rookie snare line) features two 15-year olds. Strengths: The Guard of approx. 35 performers are decked out in costumes of share beauty and elegance and handle the equipment quite well. The 70-member Brass line is solid and by the end of season should be blowing people away. While the entire package is extremely entertaining the pre-show, opener and closer should bring a few folks out of their seats. The front ensemble of 11 is EXTREMLEY strong and talented. It has one particular feature that will put a smile on every face .I will be touring with the Corps through their first 8-shows leading up to DATR in Denver. I'm guessing their debut performance this evening at Mesa Community College should score in the low 60 range.(but. I believe they have the potential to score higher--will see.)

FYI: I marched Simplex Minutemen of Gardner, MA from 1965-71 Bass Drum and 24" cymbals, served on the BOD of Arizona Sun 1991-93.

Yes, I'm old...but the activity has kept me feeling young over that past 41 years.

Have a Good Show Everyone.....Enjoy!

Yay! The Academy has been my favorite non finalist for years, good to hear they are putting on a good show this year.

Crossmen schedule says Chaparral HS in Scottsdale, AZ. Does not give rehearsal times though.

Crossmen are at the school and broken out into sections in the shade.

Disappointed not to see Bones anywhere. Is he too much of a primadonna to practice? Was expecting a skeleton in shorts or something.

Edited by skevinp

Crossmen are at the school and broken out into sections in the shade.

Disappointed not to see Bones anywhere. Is he too much of a primadonna to practice? Was expecting a skeleton in shorts or something.

LOL.

In regards to Crossmen practice, I heard they wouldn't be practicing much during the hottest part of the day.

Same for BK. They have a nap block scheduled. Seems like the smart thing to do in AZ, eh?

I think those are called Siesta's in many Latin based cultures.

Siesta is a great idea!

Jason also mentioned past show days in the 110's. I remember 1990 when the high was 126, and they shut the airport down because 1) the Tarmac was melting, and 2) they weren't sure the air was dense enough for the planes to achieve lift for takeoff.

Garry in Redlands

• Like 1