The future of drum corps: A return to sanity.

But the way they've been going, they're #### near the same activity. Add woodwinds, and they are....there will no difference (except for the educational institution angle).

Yes, and the proponents of it becoming " the same thing " first begin the process of this by attempting to first convince others that " they are the same activity".

When we witness rapid change taking place in a culture and in a society( in anything ), we notice it first begins with the first manifestations of this in the popular language and in the definitions of things. People that are subjected to wholesale change in their system of governance for example, oftentimes throughout history, we see the dominent forces in that culture beginning to change the language and the conventional and traditional definitions of things from what was understood them to be before. Ineviteablly, it is the language that must change first.

As such, it is not inconceivable at all, that the phrase " Drum Corps " will eventually erode, then disappear altogether in the vernacular, and where " Marching Band " completey replaces that vernacular of " Drum Corps ". And its quite possible that by that time, everyone, older and newer fans, will be transformed into willing acceptance of the phrase " DCI Marching Bands ", as the instrumentation alone will require it to be called so. To pave the way and to cushion that with perhaps reluctant observers, it is imperative to convince others first that..... " its always been Marching Band, since the very beginning ". Once that belief takes hold in the language ( even though its a false caricature and a false statement to be sure ), it bcomes much easier to move transitionally to where the proponents of ' Marching Band " have wanted to go with this for a long long time.

Edited by BRASSO

So you are saying if the BOA medalists performed in a show with Open Class Drum Corps, and you had in attendance 20k people (national audience like you are fond of saying) with no knowledge or attachment to either, they would perceive a universe of difference between them?

Not a good analogy, as MikeD was taliking about the past here, ie as in " ever ", .( and yes, fans of the CYO Circuit in attendance ALL knew the difference between the" Drum Corps" and the "Marching Bands" at these circuit shows .. but keeping with the silliness expressed on here today, I believe that most people would quickly be unable to tell the difference between an automobile and a bicycle, if we applied the silly " same activity.. same thing " silly language "logic" and definitions here, and stuperfyingly accepted it as such..

Edited by BRASSO

No. .. but keeping with this, I believe that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an automobile and a bicycle, if we applied the silly " same activity.. same thing " silly language and definitions here, and accepted it as such..

??? what ???

Sam - I caution against engaging BRASSO in discussion.

All I can say is, "Right Twix, Left Twix....totally different process."

I should have taken my own advice. Dopey me.

BRASSO -

I agree with your opinion the term 'drum corps' will eventually be avoided, even dropped altogether. But, from a marketing standpoint, it truly should!

So, hate me. :devil:

To be honest, it should be called a Drum & Brass Corps...they don't use bugles anymore...so I would have to then say that the equipment changed first, but the language didn't, which Brasso had suggested.

I would tend to think that language would be one of the last things to change. Language is only used to describe things...not to define what will come.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

DCI is to NASCAR Sprint Cup as BOA is to __________.

."

NASCAR.

No difference.

• Like 2

There is a huge difference between DCI and BOA...the only reason I can think of that you would suggest they were the same, is because you feel like trolling others on the forum.

There is a huge difference between DCI and BOA...the only reason I can think of that you would suggest they were the same, is because you feel like trolling others on the forum.

Huge difference? No. Hardly any difference. DCI costs more, that's one. Same music, same arrangers, same instruments ( almost...), same auxiliaries, same kids, ....... So, where are these huge differences? Let me guess, "excellence"? Oh and, thanks for calling me a troll. Just another poster who would rather call someone a name than engage in a discussion. Do you have an argument, besides "huge difference"?

I totally understand the OP rant.........

Not just as it applies to DCI, but with all things music. In my personal contributions to music, I endeavor to be as organic as possible. As a drumset player, it has been a lifelong search for the perfect 2 & 4........ A well-tuned instrument, played with the perfect touch and with outstanding feel is the goal.......anything else like triggers, backing tracks and digital tweaks, IMO, just gets in the way. However, I am not an in demand player anymore.......the guys I know who are staying busy, have learned to integrate these tools seamlessly into their bag of tricks and still deliver an emotional, organic-sounding performance.........that DOES take a very high level of skill.

My point: I think there is some merit in learning to interface and integrate electronic sounds in just about any form of music......it has become an important part of developing as a musician.....I think we've crossed that bridge and there's no going back.

I was turned off by the use of electronics in drum corps.........but this year has been a blast so far. I find myself completely in love with the Bluecoats this year and it's got 2 things I hate......in your face electronics and lots of props. Sometimes it takes bold statements to open minds.....consider mine opened.

Yes, and the proponents of it becoming " the same thing " first begin the process of this by attempting to first convince others that " they are the same activity".

Every fiber of my being is telling me to stay out of this, and I'm sure I will regret hitting post almost immediately after I do so.

You have it backwards. It is us - the drum corps activity - that have convinced ourselves we are something different. To 99.999999% of the population we are marching bands. That is a very tough thing for people inside the activity to come to grips with, after spending so much time and energy telling ourselves we are not marching bands.

This is not the difference between bicycles and NASCAR Sprint Cup vehicles. It's the difference between NASCAR Sprint Cup vehicles and NASCAR Nationwide Vehicles. I'm sure there is a difference, but I (and the vast majority of the population) can't tell you what they are.

There was a time in my life in which I would have forcefully defended ourselves as a unique activity based on instrumentation. Not anymore. What changed? I had to raise funds to support a drum corps.

When you get a half hour meeting with the owner/CEO of a company, you are not going to spend the first 20 minutes trying to explain to her how a drum corps is not a marching band (while her eyes are glazing over and she's looking at her watch trying to figure out how to get out of the room). You're going to spend that time talking about how our activity benefits the lives of young adults - how we make a difference in the world.

I hope you get a chance to see a show or shows this season. You will see some amazing performances by some of the greatest young adults in the world.

Thanks,

Brad