JUDGING NUMBERS MANAGEMENT

For some of the experts:

Do judges keep gaps closer in smaller shows versus a larger venue? My observation is that if there are several corps in the same "tier",

gaps are a bit larger since you need room to place each corps thereby opening the spread between corps that may have been closer in a smaller show.

Edited by theCHEZman

Not sure. For me personally, if I were judging I would image it being much more difficult to assign a number to Blue Devils brass (for instance) if they performed after a corps that placed 17th-20th the prior year. Too much of a gap. Both corps could perform well, and you want to give quality critique and assign a fair number, but my guess is the gap would be less that it should be.

When more corps are in the competition, and when more of them are competitive with BD, the gap between top and bottom might widen because the spreads are easier to manage.

Most judges have a pretty good idea of the score they are going to give a corps before they even take the field. I think the only time something might change that is if a corps is worlds better, or worlds worse than what the judge is expecting.

• Like 2

Not sure. For me personally, if I were judging I would image it being much more difficult to assign a number to Blue Devils brass (for instance) if they performed after a corps that placed 17th-20th the prior year. Too much of a gap. Both corps could perform well, and you want to give quality critique and assign a fair number, but my guess is the gap would be less that it should be.

When more corps are in the competition, and when more of them are competitive with BD, the gap between top and bottom might widen because the spreads are easier to manage.

So JW if Boston clean's up their show. Currently you have stated they are not as good as your top 7. Say they do clean up their show. Were would you place them at finals.

My thinking is if Cadets, Crown, Coats and BD are in the same show, do gaps widen because I need to rank them in caption A in first to fourth versus if just BD and Coats are there.

It is the judges job to BOTH rank and rate. Rank as to which corps is better/worse than another corps, but also rate them, by placing them in the proper box. So with fewer corps at a show, it is easier to keep scores closer and have corps that are close to each other in the top of box 3 and have a bit of separation to the next tier in say, the middle of box 4. Whereas, at a larger show with more corps, or even a show with mostly corps in the same tier, it makes sense that there will be larger gaps in scoring. If you only have two corps which will be in the top of box 3 area, its easy. You score one, and then decide if the second is above or below them and by how much. But if you know you have two more corps in that same general range, you need to leave room in case the third and/or fourth corps fit in between corps one and two.

• Like 2

For some of the experts:

Do judges keep gaps closer in smaller shows versus a larger venue? My observation is that if there are several corps in the same "tier",

gaps are a bit larger since you need room to place each corps thereby opening the spread between corps that may have been closer in a smaller show.

show dynamics always play a part.....who, what, how many, etc etc

CAPS LOCK IS A BAD THING FOR THREAD TITLES.

Sorry sir. May I have another? Sorry sir.

• Like 1