Why do You Stay?

I think that grumpy old man and his friend were at the La Crosse show a few years back. Verbally slammed each corps and then corpsgasmed all over Scouts, and they weren't shy or quiet about it.

I think we all agreed there really is nothing wrong with this, other than the fact that the grumpy old man apparently goes to a lot of shows and is rude and inconsiderate to others in attendance around him.

What if the guy.. even a young guy, slammed all the lower placing Corps, was publically rude and inconsiderate with his public display but went orgasmic with Crown, this is just as annoying, right ? I mean the only thing changed here was his age, and the Corps he went orgasmic over. So we are equally all " annoyed " here right when people are rude, on their cell phones, or slamming the lower placing Corps that we see at almost every show ? Or just the old goat that apparently goes from show to show making a fool of himself by being rude and inconsiderate of others ? We don't observe young people being rude and inconsiderate of others at todays shows ? Or do we observe this ? And isn't it true we probably observe this in far greater numbers than the rude and inconsiderate older fans ? I'd say so. If the topic is rude and inconsiderate behaviors at shows, I'd say the olderb fans behaviors tend to be a lot more considerate than some of the younger fans, giggling, talking loudly to one another, on their cell phones, moving around and obstructing views, etc

Edited by BRASSO

:whistle: nothing to do with the original post ( but when is it ever ) in about 20 years the Montreal numbers Im sure will be up to 100 thousand....lol....everytime you talk to some people who uses it, the numbers always go up

No, I was there, man

It was EASILY 750k: BIGGER THAN WOODSTOCK!!!

While part of me regrets dragging the Montreal attendance into an argument, I ONLY did so as an example that we've heard A LOT throughout the years as the gold standard of attendance, arguments that it's proof DCI rulz in the 80s but sux now, etc.

The honest truth about those attendance numbers (of which I did not attend to be honest) is that number was pulled out of thin air: a guesstimate at best, perhaps a guesstimate of butts in seats and not paid attendance (i.e. staffers, members, volunteers from corps not making Finals). DCI hasn't scientifically tracked attendance since Dan A. took over in the mid-90s: every other year was an "unscientific guess" at best, or a "made up number" at worst.

From what I was told by someone working for DCI.

I totally agree with others that the huge number had more to do with Montreal than anything else: an anomaly. Just like the Rose Bowl numbers being one of (if not the, I don't remember) highest attended DCI Championships in the modern era (read: since DCI started officially taking legit count) because it was in CA for the first time. Can't imagine Finals attendance will be that high again unless DCI brings finals back to CA

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 1

I'd say the reasons that people stay around the activity fall into a myriad of reasons. From many that I know, here would be just some of them ( in no particular order ) :

a) they like the show performances.

b) they like the tailgating.

C) they have a family member that marches ( as they once did).

D) they like to get out of the house.

E) they perform in Corps that provide exhibitions at the DCI shows.

F) they volunteer at events.

G) they volunteer with Corps.

H) they are judges.

I) They are on staff.

J) They sell stuff to Corps.

K) they've been away for years, noticed a show was close by, and were curious to go see whats it now like.

L) they like to go so they can complain about it to others.

m) they like to see 18-22 year olders with little clothing on.

N) They once marched, teach band now, and want to see if they can get any ideas they can use in their band.

0) Their spouse still likes the shows, and begs them to still go with them.

p) they go to chit chat with alums they know will be at the shows.

Q) they need a date, want to meet someone their age that likes Drum Corps, and believe it beats paying for a dating service.

R) they hope to collect on a long overdue debt as they think the debtor might be in attendance.

S) they're a cop, once did Drum Corps, heard about the local show, and put in for the paid detail each year for the show there.

T) they are local street vendors, and bring their van every year to the shows to make a buck.

u)) they are maintainance crew at the stadium and each year are on duty at the show.

V) they've always loved the smell of Corps bus engine fumes and know they'll be lots of chances to experience that again.

W) they like the Corps souvies and want to see them all in one place before purchasing them.

X) They need to see a show or too so they know what to complain about here on DCP

Y) They need to see a show or two so they know what to call the person who complains about the shows on DCP.

z) they want to understand better what INT is all about.

Since I've run of letters in the alphabet, I think its best to stop now on the partial list of probably 300 reasons why a person still decides to " stay " engaged at least at some level in the Drum Corps activity and come out to a show or 2 each year.

all interesting and some funny But the poster asked why YOU stay

While part of me regrets dragging the Montreal attendance into an argument,

Of course, a " part" of you regrets bringing up the Montreal attendance in 1981 in your reply to me.. But every part of you should regret it now, because you were totally destroyed in your argument, because you met someone like me that was persoally knowledgeable about the attendance there, while it was YOU that was shown to be so " ill informed " on it, as in 1981 and 1982 you were barely old enough to recall ANYTHING in 1981, 1982, let alone an event you were not present for.

Edited by BRASSO

Can we all agree here too that whatever that old goat said about the Corps he saw, there are probably 100,000 young people under the age of 25 not involved in this activity that probably say things 10 times worse than this guy when they see these marchers in their costumes and get up ? I mean, its fair game to beat up on this rude guy ( who knows, maybe had one too many cocktails ), but lets get real here, this guy is probably pretty tame in his public and indefensible loud behavior compared to what some people that are young say about this activity when they see the Corps all dressed up like this. For every one of these old goats that bought a ticket and went to the show, there are probably 100,000 other young people saying things daily that are far, far worse than him. We can all agree here on this anyway right ? Or is even trying to reach agreement here on the clearly obvious perhaps a bridge too far in attempts at consensus building for the perhaps overly sensitive devotees of DCI ?

Edited by BRASSO

My name is Nero, has anyone seen my fiddle?

Some here on DCP are probably thinking right now :,... "burn you bastid" ( haha!)

:whistle: nothing to do with the original post ( but when is it ever ) in about 20 years the Montreal numbers Im sure will be up to 100 thousand....lol....everytime you talk to some people who uses it, the numbers always go up. It was 1 year big deal...didnt happen before or after. My assumption , being there myself , was that it was MONTREAL that drew the numbers. Great Place

People that are in denial, like to engage in hyperbole..but the facts don't go away because we engage in hyperbole mischief to assign to people that were there that they've said " the numbers were like Woodstock !! " and other such foolishness that nobody has uttered ( but the Deniars WISH they did ) so that the Deniars could attempt to discredit the clear and unimpeachable fact that in 1981 and in 1982 the live DCI Finals Attendance in Montreal was twice the numbers of DCI Finals live 2013 in Indianapolis. The only thing that can be in the legitimate realm of discussion and dispute re. this are the reasons why. ( again, keep in mind here.. I did not bring Montreal of 1981, 1982, into this disccusion.. but once it was, we had the disccusion and replies it naturally would be required, especially give the misinformation introduced on it, by the " ill informed " on it )

Edited by BRASSO

:tounge2:

I was on debate teams in high school in college,

Rule #1 in High School ( and College ) Debate Team contests :

Never, EVER, initiate something new in your comments in the debate that you are so ill informed to debate on and which would allow your opponent to hit it out of the park because they could potentially have knowledge and experience in the event introduced by you that perhaps you unsuspectingly might not possess compared to your opponent in that debate. ( and I was never in ANY debate teams.. college or otherwise , but just common sense tells me this.)

Its hard to believe that you were actually on the Debate Team in your college. ( but,... there you go )

Edited by BRASSO

Rule #1 in High School ( and College ) Debate Team contests :

Never, EVER, initiate something new in your comments in the debate that you are so ill informed to debate on and which would allow your opponent to hit it out of the park because they could potentially have knowledge and experience in the event introduced by you that perhaps you unsuspectingly might not possess compared to your opponent in that debate. ( and I was never in ANY debate teams.. college or otherwise , but just common sense tells me this.)

Its hard to believe that you were actually on the Debate Team in your college. ( but,... there you go )

* edited * because it's REALLY not worth my time conversing with some "people"

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 1