Why do You Stay?

Basically, the old guy was trying to relive, in his head, the "glory days of drum corps" and was upset that the activity had changed a little bit. But mostly it was just all in his head.

It had probably just dawned on the old guy that he's now in his 60's, most of the drum corps people he knew are now dead and gone, and was trying to cling to reality by denying that the present is actually the future, and trashing all the corps (except the Scouts, he probably marched there) so that his glory days would come roaring back to him.

Hmmmm...I was going to buy one of these...

2013-lamborghini-aventado-2_600x0w.jpg

But based on being 60+, maybe I should go with this instead...

43.jpg

They ARE both a nice shade of RED. :tounge2:

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

Because all of you little #### ants need a good ### whooping - and I've got the paddle. Line up kids, daddy's home!

Seriously, was this posted with the purpose of starting a fight? I could counter with the question - why are you so put off with what we think? The fact that you cared enough to post this suggests a bit of insecurity on your part.

No, it was not posted for the purpose of starting a fight. I just wanted to gain some insight on what keeps everyone around, even those who don't like what it has turned into. I think you should read this part of my original posting again:

There's some good discussion that goes on in some instances, and some great points made. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and I fully respect that, this thread isn't an attack against any of those people.

I have the utmost respect for everyone that's marched whatever their time period and whatever their thoughts are on what has changed. I'm just interested, that's all. Not insecure, I didn't disagree anywhere with anything anyone has said in the past, I'm just asking a simple question, and you did answer that in the second half of your post, so I thank you for that.

And to answer your counter question, I never stated I was put off or even disagree with what anyone has said on this board, I was just interested into gaining some insight on what keeps everyone around despite what their views on the activity may be, just to get a little different perspective than my own, I never meant to insult anyone. No ill intent or hidden meanings here, just a curious youngin that wants some insight. :smile:

And to answer your counter question, I never stated I was put off or even disagree with what anyone has said on this board, I was just interested into gaining some insight on what keeps everyone around despite what their views on the activity may be, j :smile:

I'd say the reasons that people stay around the activity fall into a myriad of reasons. From many that I know, here would be just some of them ( in no particular order ) :

a) they like the show performances.

b) they like the tailgating.

C) they have a family member that marches ( as they once did).

D) they like to get out of the house.

E) they perform in Corps that provide exhibitions at the DCI shows.

F) they volunteer at events.

G) they volunteer with Corps.

H) they are judges.

I) They are on staff.

J) They sell stuff to Corps.

K) they've been away for years, noticed a show was close by, and were curious to go see whats it now like.

L) they like to go so they can complain about it to others.

m) they like to see 18-22 year olders with little clothing on.

N) They once marched, teach band now, and want to see if they can get any ideas they can use in their band.

0) Their spouse still likes the shows, and begs them to still go with them.

p) they go to chit chat with alums they know will be at the shows.

Q) they need a date, want to meet someone their age that likes Drum Corps, and believe it beats paying for a dating service.

R) they hope to collect on a long overdue debt as they think the debtor might be in attendance.

S) they're a cop, once did Drum Corps, heard about the local show, and put in for the paid detail each year for the show there.

T) they are local street vendors, and bring their van every year to the shows to make a buck.

u)) they are maintainance crew at the stadium and each year are on duty at the show.

V) they've always loved the smell of Corps bus engine fumes and know they'll be lots of chances to experience that again.

W) they like the Corps souvies and want to see them all in one place before purchasing them.

X) They need to see a show or too so they know what to complain about here on DCP

Y) They need to see a show or two so they know what to call the person who complains about the shows on DCP.

z) they want to understand better what INT is all about.

Since I've run of letters in the alphabet, I think its best to stop now on the partial list of probably 300 reasons why a person still decides to " stay " engaged at least at some level in the Drum Corps activity and come out to a show or 2 each year.

Edited by BRASSO

Hmmmm...I was going to buy one of these...

2013-lamborghini-aventado-2_600x0w.jpg

But based on being 60+, maybe I should go with this instead...

43.jpg

They ARE both a nice shade of RED. :tounge2:

Old guy 👴

Hopefully helping stear this thread back on course to Drumman's original intent...

Going on 20+ years of drumcorp-nut-dom as I approach my 40th birthday...

Simply put I stay because there is simply nothing else quite like drumcorps out there. At the end of the day whether it's the '91 Devils or the '95 Scout or the 2007 Vanguard or Crown in 2013, it still continues to thrill me like few things do; it is such a unique and all encompassing experience. And ultimately why drumcorps is one of my top 3 favorite things in this life. I have yet to experience, live and in person, anything that is more viscerally powerful than drumcorps. Anything that can drive me to spontaneous tears is certainly worth sticking around for. Year after year after year.

• Like 2

So basically, all you DCP'ers here that havn't marched yet, don't volunteer with a Corps, havn't taught a Corps, don't serve an an administative capacity with a Corps now or in the past,.. havn't designed a DCI show, etc and so forth.... but just buy tickets and souvies, etc.. then STHU, as perc2100 here has done all these things ( or most of them anyway ) and this makes him and other super duper elites like him uniquely qualified to have an opinion on Drum Corps ( whatever that opinion is ), but you others here that are not really important people in the activity shouldn't be expressing your opinions. You really havn't earned that right yet because most of you here don't have the sweetest smelling perfumed #### thats required to express your opinion here on anything..

That's not really what I said at all, but your rhetorical nonsense is noted :tounge2:

What I meant was it is very common in the social-media/internet age for people to complain from their internet keyboard as opposed to actually trying to solve a problem. Obviously on DCP anyone can voice an opinion they choose, provided it is not insulting.

I thought I made that plenty clear, but it's possible that you jumped on part of my post (that you quoted) without reading (or disregarding) the rest of it. For your own personal reading, in case you skipped over ALL of what I wrote, here is the entirety of the paragraph I wrote:

Why people stay, a (hopefully) short dissertation/attempted explanation.

There is a VERY strong sense of entitlement in drum corps fans/alumni. This is not uncommon, as people in many aspects of entertainment have the thought of "I invested time and money into this activity, I think the activity should mirror my own personal ideals and if not I'm going to complain because I don't have time/resources to do anything but complain." We often think our "era" of participation (be it as a MM or as a hard-core fan) as the gold standard, and when the activity trends start to stray too much from that golden era many fans don't like the change.

I started noticing drum corps in the late 80's, became an uber-fan in the early 90's, and marched in the late 90's. I think of that golden standard as late 80s-early 90s: those shows are some of my all-time favorites. I personally feel like I marched in a darker era of the activity, with a small amount of corps (one year I marched there were only 17 or 18 WC corps) and not a ton of great show designs. I aged out right before brass instruments of any key were legalized, and right before corps sizes rose to 135 (and then 150). For whatever reason, be it I got occupied with adult life, married, moved across the country, etc. I stopped being interested in the activity. I came back when I started teaching HS, with colleagues teaching WC Champion corps, students marching corps, etc. I realized that the activity was NOT ABOUT ME, it was about EVERYONE. That epiphany led me to let go of some of my misgivings and embrace the cool stuff I liked about designs: I realized there were FAR more cool things than annoying things.

I think people who the OP is talking about haven't been able to let go of the activity yet. Most of them don't march, they don't volunteer, they don't teach, they don't serve in an administrative or director role, they don't serve of a corps BoD, they don't design. They do nothing except maybe buy tickets, FN, and/or other souvies and then feel entitled to voice their opinion. It is FAR easier to vent on an internet forum pseudo-anonymously w/out actually trying to do something to change: it's really the tools of the weak, in this situation.

That's why the stick around: they are passionate about the activity, passionate about the activity wanted to be run "correctly," but not really passionate enough, or able, to be involved as more than a fan.

I get cutting out the first paragraph, but to cut out parts of sentences, or sentences further in the paragraph that give context is kind of shameful: it's weak argument at best. I find it disingenuous, brasso, that you would chop up my post, mine it for only what you think fits YOUR counterargument against me, while ignoring context and editing my specific thoughts.'

But, it also is symbolic to the types of people the OP was talking about, and the types I wrote about. People cherry-pick the parts of the activity they THINK is the best, or the worst, while ignoring the whole. "Attendance wasn't what it was in Montreal: must be because everyone is staying away from amps/any-key brass/synths!!" or other such ill-informed, illogical arguments. Plenty of posters on DCP ignore the big picture, possibly doing as brasso did above - blatantly, willfully ignoring content and context in order to bolster their own uninformed opinions.

I've always been the type to LOVE debates and argument. I was on debate teams in high school in college, and I would frequently argue for the OPPOSITE side of my personal opinion in order to learn where the other side was coming from. I've always relished intelligent discourse with well-thought out and informed opinions. I got the impression that wasn't exactly what the OP was necessarily asking about, or at least I chose to address my opinion on a sub-set of those who are seemingly so passionate about the activity they boast about not buying tickets or souvies, not attending shows in years, and constantly railing against whatever design trend clashes with their ideals that season.

I have to agree with this. I thought it was a beautiful show from top to bottom.

I personally know a few DCI fans that did not like the show at all and though it to be strange that I liked it.

When I volunteered for a certain corps back in 2010, there was a competition where there was ample seating and I was able to find a good seat near the top to watch. There was an old guy sitting behind me and just to the left. Every few minutes he would grumble to the guy next to him (I believe they came out together to spectate) about this or that, or how this was crap, that was crap, this corps doesn't even move, he was laughing and tearing Crown apart at that point in their show where they were doing some kind of somersault on their back, kicking their legs up in the air. He didn't seem to care that he was annoying other people. He was upset that the corps were not marching 160bpm 90% of the time.

Even when Blue Stars came on and did their show, which was actually a pretty fast-paced show, he ridiculed the wooden boxes that the guard would occasionally get locked into and escape. He applauded for nobody except...

when Madison Scouts came on and did their relatively easy program, he couldn't get enough of it.

So you see how I see a lot of the "old timers". I guess I would say, if you don't like the activity now, you don't have to pay money to come out and watch. There's going to be another fan to take your place.

I love the activity because of the quality of programs and loud brass. Even some of the lesser corps I have enjoyed immensely at times. Loud brass, story-telling on the field, watching the corps become better night after night, watching those kids sweat and suffer through 12 weeks and pay $2,000 + to do it, just for the love of performing and making themselves better people.

If every kid joined a drum corps at least for one year, the world would be a much, much, much better place. This is the best thing about DCI.

And like I was telling someone earlier, drum corps often evokes such a strong emotional response in their fans. This is a good thing. There are activities that are worse off than drum corps. DCP is an outlet for us fans to be able to have an outlet for our strong emotions. Outlets are needed. This is why we stick around.

I think that grumpy old man and his friend were at the La Crosse show a few years back. Verbally slammed each corps and then corpsgasmed all over Scouts, and they weren't shy or quiet about it.

That's not really what I said at all, but your rhetorical nonsense is noted :tounge2:

.'

People cherry-pick the parts of the activity they THINK is the best, or the worst, while ignoring the whole. "Attendance wasn't what it was in Montreal: must be because everyone is staying away from amps/any-key brass/synths!!" or other such ill-informed, illogical arguments. Plenty of posters on DCP ignore the big picture, possibly doing as brasso did above - blatantly, willfully ignoring content and context in order to bolster their own uninformed opinions.

I've always been the type to LOVE debates and argument. I was on debate teams in high school in college,

So... when people state the fact that live Finals attendance last year for example was off by more than double what it was in 1981 in Montreal, in your view it is not " cherry picking" to say these fans are all stating the reason for this can be layed at the doorstep of the use of " amps/ any-key brass/ synths " only ? And wy did you decide interject the attendance figures from Montreal into this thread discussion in the first place ? It seems to me it is irrelevent... but since YOU brought it up, it is a fact that live Finals attendance is down compared to this time period, the reasons are probably myriad, but its your " cherry picking" of the 9th degree it seems to be to dismiss out of hand ONE of the possible reasons for this, without offering WHY this reason is your view might not be true, then proceed to announce to us that the people who cite this possible reason are, in your view,are " ill informed " on the reason. Boy is THAT rich. I was actually in attendance in 1981 and in 1982 at Finals in Montreal,. How " ill informed " do you think I am regarding attendance in Montreal in 1981 and in 1982, compared to your personal knowledge of Finals in Montreal in 1981 and in 1982 ?. I believe you were.. what ? 10 years old or such.. and not involved at all, in any manner at all in Drum Corps 1981 and 1982 ? In your reply to me you invoke 1981 and 1982 and mention people like me being " ill informed " regarding what YOU just brought up, ie " Finals in Montreal in 1981", . People that actually were in attendance are " ill informed " compared to people like you that in 1981 and 1982 didn't know a parradiddle from a parakeet ? You have no idea how silly you can be when you invoke something that you really don't have a clue on, and then proceed to tell me ( or others like me ) I'm " ill informed "..

Edited by BRASSO

What I meant was it is very common in the social-media/internet age for people to complain from their internet keyboard as opposed to actually trying to solve a problem. Obviously on DCP anyone can voice an opinion they choose, provided it is not insulting.

I thought I made that plenty clear, but it's possible that you jumped on part of my post (that you quoted) without reading (or disregarding) the rest of it. For your own personal reading, in case you skipped over ALL of what I wrote, here is the entirety of the paragraph I wrote:

I get cutting out the first paragraph, but to cut out parts of sentences, or sentences further in the paragraph that give context is kind of shameful: it's weak argument at best. I find it disingenuous, brasso, that you would chop up my post, mine it for only what you think fits YOUR counterargument against me, while ignoring context and editing my specific thoughts.'

But, it also is symbolic to the types of people the OP was talking about, and the types I wrote about. People cherry-pick the parts of the activity they THINK is the best, or the worst, while ignoring the whole. "Attendance wasn't what it was in Montreal: must be because everyone is staying away from amps/any-key brass/synths!!" or other such ill-informed, illogical arguments. Plenty of posters on DCP ignore the big picture, possibly doing as brasso did above - blatantly, willfully ignoring content and context in order to bolster their own uninformed opinions.

I've always been the type to LOVE debates and argument. I was on debate teams in high school in college, and I would frequently argue for the OPPOSITE side of my personal opinion in order to learn where the other side was coming from. I've always relished intelligent discourse with well-thought out and informed opinions. I got the impression that wasn't exactly what the OP was necessarily asking about, or at least I chose to address my opinion on a sub-set of those who are seemingly so passionate about the activity they boast about not buying tickets or souvies, not attending shows in years, and constantly railing against whatever design trend clashes with their ideals that season.

:whistle: nothing to do with the original post ( but when is it ever ) in about 20 years the Montreal numbers Im sure will be up to 100 thousand....lol....everytime you talk to some people who uses it, the numbers always go up. It was 1 year big deal...didnt happen before or after. My assumption , being there myself , was that it was MONTREAL that drew the numbers. Great Place

Edited by GUARDLING