Why do You Stay?

Hmm. Maybe I should call ushers in on those people who keep talking during shows. Oh, I'm not talking about people in the stands. I'm talking about narrators!

Ha! Funny!

• Like 2

I think it's just that you had started talking more and more about it, and got me arguing with you over it, until it became a much bigger story than what it actually was.

Goodnight, BRASSO.

Goodnight, BRASSO.

Goodnight, BoyWonder.

Because all of you little #### ants need a good ### whooping - and I've got the paddle. Line up kids, daddy's home!

Seriously, was this posted with the purpose of starting a fight? I could counter with the question - why are you so put off with what we think? The fact that you cared enough to post this suggests a bit of insecurity on your part.

The fact is this - some of us grew up with this activity, just like you did, and it will always be a huge part of each of us. Just because we love the activity doesn't mean we have to love what's happening in the activity. This isn't a mutual admiration society, and I think it's telling that there is such a large number of people that are worried about the direction of show design and the activity in general.

Im 25 years removed from marching - and while that makes me an old timer (I'm not THAT old) I also see things from a different perspective than I did way back when. Now days, drum corps has to compete with other forms of entertainment and activities to earn my patronage. I have three children and while I was excited to introduce them to the activity several years ago, because the recent on field offerings have done nothing but bore me, I have been less than motivated to bring them to a show. In fact, my 12 year old, who is the only musician in the family (he plays baritone) has told me he has no interest in going to a drum corps show because he's not interested in learning how to dance (his words not mine). He loves the videos from the early 2000's and went to a few shows when he was younger, but doesn't like what he sees now.

• Like 1

What's wrong - panties in a bunch cause someone said something that was negative and might hurt someone's feelings? If something is bad, and someone calls it bad, what's the problem? This is the problem with this world and kids today - we are so #### politically correct that we can't be blunt and honest with someone without having to sugar coat it.

Just because you see something one way, and I see it another doesn't mean that either of us is wrong.

just because we in this country are allowed to speak freely, doesn't mean we always should.IF AN ADULT or anyone for that matter doesnt know how to express an OPINION without calling it crap especially given the circumstances and type of event then respect for someone having an opinion ( IN PUBLIC ) IMO doesnt deserve respect. Having the right to speak and voice ones opinion also comes with responsibility. Many of the rights we are lucky to have many people do not know how to responsibility use them IMO..There are ways of expressing but there are some who never learned or have the need to express in a very immature way..JMO

Let's not forget, drum corps audiences represent the greater society that surrounds them. There is NO question, our culture has been experiencing a growing amount of conflict, disrespect, self-indulgence, perceived entitlement, impulsive outbursts, loss of values, crude entertainment icons, sloppy dress, vulgar language, dishonesty, misplaced humor, and overall scatter-brain diversion.

Through all of that, FanNetwork works well for this 'seasoned' fan. :wink:

• Like 3

As usual by page 7, we're getting off topic. The question was: Why do you stay?

This is like asking sports fans on a college football message board, why they still come out and buy tickets and go watch the games... even in some cases when their favorite team stinks to high heaven, and the performances day in and day out out on the football field is an eyesore amd makes them cringe.

They go to the games for the same reason ( I would guess )that Drum Corps fans go to the shows... it brings some some level of enjoyment to still go ( even if its just to go and smooze with long time alums, frirends, and others they see there ). Some football fans go to the football games as much for the tailgating, as they do for watching what takes place on the field. When they get into the stadiuim, some of them are loaded, and some act stupidly, and boo, and generally act immature. But they went there for a reason, and that reason is theirs alone.. for whatever reason it was. I have no idea why other fans go to DCI shows. I presume its because( like me ) most of them like the show performances by the Corps. But there are probably a myriad of other reasons too, many of which probably would make no sense to me, or to others on here. But its their time. Its their energy, And its their money. So for whatever reason they still stay engaged in the activity, its a valid reason to them,.. and thats all that really matters, imo... even if it might make no sense at all to any of us here " why they stay " engaged in the activity. ( some volunteer and help fundraise too with Corps lets not forget, even though some of them could care less about the current day performances on the field)

Edited by BRASSO

Why do I stay? Because I want to...and since I also still inhale regularly-scheduled breaths of oxygen, I plan to continue staying.

As to WHY I want to...that is nobody else's concern. And quite frankly, nobody else's care. And nor should it be.

I stay because I stay. You stay because you stay. Those who continue to follow the activity and take time out of their lives to post here stay because they stay. Reasons are meaningless; what has greater value (to the activity) is simply the matter that we all stay.

• Like 1

I stay, you stay. I say we all stay for the Feng Shui !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1