Why do You Stay?

Because there's a difference between vocalizing an opinion and being downright nasty and crude. Calling other corps "crap" and other profanities that I'm sure would be censored out had I typed them here.

just because we in this country are allowed to speak freely, doesn't mean we always should.IF AN ADULT or anyone for that matter doesnt know how to express an OPINION without calling it crap especially given the circumstances and type of event then respect for someone having an opinion ( IN PUBLIC ) IMO doesnt deserve respect. Having the right to speak and voice ones opinion also comes with responsibility. Many of the rights we are lucky to have many people do not know how to responsibility use them IMO..There are ways of expressing but there are some who never learned or have the need to express in a very immature way..JMO

I think we vall should be able to agree that if one these 2 had simply whispered into the others ear : ".... " Man do all these Corps except the Madison Scouts make me nauseous ( or similar ) tonite ", then there is no issue here, right ?.

Can we all agree on this ? The guy crossed the line by being loud, rude, obnoxious, and inconsiderate of others by going nuclear and very public with his clearly hostile personal assessments and observations to what he was watching. He was clearly immature... and boorish. Maybe the old guy caught a bad icecube in his cocktail(s) or something before the show.. who really knows... or cares.

I agree with others here, going to shows that make you this visiblly, and this publically, angry seems so dopey to me... but its a free country and people do have a right to waste their time, expense, and money... and Gawd only knows, many of them do.

Edited by BRASSO

I think we vall should be able to agree that if one these 2 had simply whispered into the others ear : ".... " Man do all these Corps except the Madison Scouts make me nauseous ( or similar ) tonite ", then there is no issue here, right ?.

Can we all agree on this ? The guy crossed the line by being loud, rude, obnoxious, and inconsiderate of others by going nuclear and very public with his clearly hostile reactions to what he was watching.

I agree with others here, going to shows that make you this visiblly, and this publically, upset seems so dopey to me... but its a free country and people do have a right to waste their time, expense, and money... and Gawd only knows, many of them do.

Wait...have I missed something? When did this happen?

Not sure... WonderBoy didn't give us the show and date where some old guy supposedly went almost postal at a show, but apparently was saved from the brink of public disaster by the Madison Scouts.

Edited by BRASSO

I had just retold an experience I had while attending a competition 4 years ago, along with why I stay being a DCI fan.

BRASSO seems to have taken off with what I said and turned this thread into all about that one guy, who he seems to be defending more than not defending.

Basically, the old guy was trying to relive, in his head, the "glory days of drum corps" and was upset that the activity had changed a little bit. But mostly it was just all in his head.

It had probably just dawned on the old guy that he's now in his 60's, most of the drum corps people he knew are now dead and gone, and was trying to cling to reality by denying that the present is actually the future, and trashing all the corps (except the Scouts, he probably marched there) so that his glory days would come roaring back to him.

Anyway, this thread has probably lost all sense of what it supposed to be about.

I had just retold an experience I had while attending a competition 4 years ago, along with why I stay being a DCI fan.

BRASSO seems to have taken off with what I said and turned this thread into all about that one guy, who he seems to be defending more than not defending.

Basically, the old guy was trying to relive, in his head, the "glory days of drum corps" and was upset that the activity had changed a little bit. But mostly it was just all in his head.

It had probably just dawned on the old guy that he's now in his 60's, most of the drum corps people he knew are now dead and gone, and was trying to cling to reality by denying that the present is actually the future, and trashing all the corps (except the Scouts, he probably marched there) so that his glory days would come roaring back to him.

Anyway, this thread has probably lost all sense of what it supposed to be about.

careful now. most of the judges as well as famous designers of today are still the ones from yesterday and well into their 50s and early 60s .and still the best of the best.....lol...but i hear ya with some. There are also a few alumni's out there with an un spoken rep. for being the worst to be around. This comes from their current staff's also...but thats another can of worms

Edited by GUARDLING

lol...sometimes I just can't seem to help but just finally spew out what I really want to say.

It's like a bubble inside that just keeps expanding, until it just finally bursts. My bubble expands faster than most peoples', and Brasso knows how to feed that bubble.

I am now laughing, thinking about that old guy.

I hope he comes to see the Blue Stars this year.

They have a full complement of household furniture on display. Bed, table and chairs, dressers, etc. I haven't seen their show yet, but I've seen pictures.

I wonder if they are going to be adding more? I'd like to see a dog house, too. What kind of Pleasantville Family doesn't have a dog? Especially one named Spot or Rover?

Edited by BoyWonder1911

BoyWonder... are you training to be a psychologist ? The reason I asked this is because you appear to be trying to determine from some loudmouth's behaviour at a show what precipitated his public outburst. If I see some loudmouth at a show.. of any age... I can only conclude from what is visible to me. Trying to get inside the head of some anonymous nitwit in a public place whose behavior is bad, and trying to figure how what led them to this behavior is fraught with potentially erroneous speculation. I see lots of obnoxious and rude people saying all sorts of profane things in public. But I don't try to make an psychological analysis of what makes them tic, or act like they do. I'm no shrink. I only can assess what is observable.. and if somebody is rude and obnoxious.. of any age, I give them the same consideration for their thoughts and opinions as they give to me... which is zip. Why are you so concerned with the opinions of people that are obnoxious and boorish in public, in the first place ? Or worse, attempting to figure out what makes them tic ? They are simply loudmouths that don't deserve your energy, nor your concern with them whatsoever. Thats my suggestion for you in the future when confronted by anonymous rude and obnoxious people in public. Don't value what they say. They don't deserve either your anger, nor even your time nor energy. Let them wallow in their own misery. Afterall, the moron, even purchased a ticket for it.. How stupid is that ?

Edited by BRASSO

Hmm. I guess I do that often. I try to determine what makes people "tic". But I think I'm mostly correct more often than not. Am I training to be a psychologist? No, but I study the subject often.

Anyways, I wasn't too concerned with his opinions all that much. I didn't even say anything to the guy, just once gave him a funny look. Writing about "why I stay a DCI fan" made me recall that day.

All I had done here was mention and describe the experience in the context of the never-ending discussion about DCI and their changes.

I will think about your "advice", though. But I'm always trying to figure out why people think and behave in ways they do.

Anyways, no more discussion about this guy, or what I said here. You've taken this completely off topic.

Anybody else want to comment on why they remain a drum corps fan?

Anyways, I wasn't too concerned with his opinions all that much.

I must say, you sure had me fooled there for awhile.. haha!. ( but now glad to hear it )

Edited by BRASSO